Praise

Airehead

I'm sure you are a much better judge of this than most of us here are.  Your success in your career of education, your ability to deal with difficult situations and your obvious intelligence and compassion as seen regularly in your posts on this forum are all evidence of the fact that your judgement in this matter should be vastly supreme to ours.    :mellow:

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I'm sure you are a much better judge of this than most of us here are.  Your success in your career of education, your ability to deal with difficult situations and your obvious intelligence and compassion as seen regularly in your posts on this forum are all evidence of the fact that your judgement in this matter should be vastly supreme to ours.    :mellow:

so a manipulation.  Sure, I'll send you the gift of the candy toilet.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Confused 1

The only praise that ever really meant anything to me was the praise that I gave myself.  Other people seldom know the effort and thought that I put into what I do (or what I use to do).  I derived my satisfaction from knowing I did a good job, the best I could do, whatever the circumstances were that I had to work with. 

• Awesome 1

Depends.  Sometimes I'm tired and frustrated, and some genuine acknowledgement means a lot.  But if the praise comes as part of a request, it's just manipulation  ("you're so good at xyz, so you should do this annoying task").    People are quick enough to relay complaints and when they're not happy,  so it's nice to relay a sincere compliment too.

• Heart 1

Honest feedback is under-appreciated, and many people take fair criticism far too harshly, even when there is a constructive purpose behind it.  It is to the point that no one can give anything other than praise or someone gets all butthurt.  

That said, false praise will eventually be seen through.  Reasonable praise at improvement and encouragement still seem the best way to reach people and help with foundational awareness. 

4 minutes ago, Dickbag said:

Honest feedback is under-appreciated, and many people take fair criticism far too harshly, even when there is a constructive purpose behind it.  It is to the point that no one can give anything other than praise or someone gets all butthurt.  

That said, false praise will eventually be seen through.  Reasonable praise at improvement and encouragement still seem the best way to reach people and help with foundational awareness. 

I'd have to disagree.  When I was in the service we had a saying "one aw shit cancels all previous atta boys".  I've noticed the same tendency in the civilian world.  Thus a 0 to 4.0 rating system results in 4.0 being good, 3.8 being average, 3.6 causing people to question how good you are and 3.4 means you are a screw up.  Consequently one has to be very careful with "fair" criticism lest one cripple another's career.

Of course there are people who don't understand this rule and who use the system the way it was meant to be.  The people they review are screwed for life.

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I'd have to disagree.  When I was in the service we had a saying "one aw shit cancels all previous atta boys".  I've noticed the same tendency in the civilian world.  Thus a 0 to 4.0 rating system results in 4.0 being good, 3.8 being average, 3.6 causing people to question how good you are and 3.4 means you are a screw up.  Consequently one has to be very careful with "fair" criticism lest one cripple another's career.

Of course there are people who don't understand this rule and who use the system the way it was meant to be.  The people they review are screwed for life.

WRONG!  With positivity and encouragement, praising improvement will motivate people to keep getting better.  Telling someone 'awesome job' when it is a crapfest of human error  or merely average helps no one.  I agree that you have to choose words wisely to get the right effect, but people will sometimes not realize on their own when they aren't doing something as effectively as they could.

Also, you forgot to say "WRONG!" in caps when you responded.  

26 minutes ago, Dickbag said:

WRONG!  With positivity and encouragement, praising improvement will motivate people to keep getting better.  Telling someone 'awesome job' when it is a crapfest of human error  or merely average helps no one.  I agree that you have to choose words wisely to get the right effect, but people will sometimes not realize on their own when they aren't doing something as effectively as they could.

Also, you forgot to say "WRONG!" in caps when you responded.  

:humping:

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

Depends.  Sometimes I'm tired and frustrated, and some genuine acknowledgement means a lot.  But if the praise comes as part of a request, it's just manipulation  ("you're so good at xyz, so you should do this annoying task").    People are quick enough to relay complaints and when they're not happy,  so it's nice to relay a sincere compliment too.

Kirby for the win!!

• Heart 1