So, We are leaving the grocery store and I drop a 10 in the Salvation Army kettle.

Wilbur

I'm always afraid that those are just guys with a kettle and a bell.  And even if they are with the SA, how do you know they don't take half the donations and keep them for themselves?  :dontknow: A few years ago here locally, we had a couple cases of volunteers caught siphoning off donations from their kettles.

I prefer to contribute online, where everything is always on the up and up.  :)

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A lady walking out behind us says to me "You shouldn't donate to them".

I was like :o.

So I asked "Why not?"

She says, "They don't approve of same sex marriage."

I said, "Oh, I thought maybe they did something bad."

She was like :angry:

Of course, I was now like:dontknow:

So I stopped and said "What else do they do you don't like?"

Now she was like :dontknow:

She says, "Well, that is all I know of." 

I was like :desk:

So I put on my teachers hat and enlightened her about all the good service work they do.

She was now like :facepalm:

So of course my next question was, "Are you going to dismiss all the good work because a conservative religion based organization doesn't agree with same sex marriage?"

She was like :blush:

Walking away, I was like :hapydance::nyanya:

I thought you were gay?

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

I'm always afraid that those are just guys with a kettle and a bell.  And even if they are with the SA, how do you know they don't take half the donations and keep them for themselves?  :dontknow:

Some are paid, some are volunteers, you can tell the difference from 50 feet. There are probably some impostors, but I think they would be found out pretty quickly.

They set up in front of several of the stores I frequent. I give a dollar on the way out. 

I consider myself fortunate to be able to donate.  

Just now, Road Runner said:

Me too, but I still prefer to contribute online where the money goes straight to the charity and avoids the possibility of getting "lost".

I appreciate that somebody is out in the cold ringing a bell. If they are a volunteer the money all goes to charity. If paid, well every one needs work, and at least they're doing something.

Our local grocery designates a place inside the store down by the deli where the bell ringers can stay warm and dry. It's right on the first turn in the store so everyone has to walk by. I noticed this year the buckets are locked and have a tight lid with a strange slot to put the money in so it would be tough to take anything back out. I had a hard time getting a bill folded up so it would go in so I just left it for the bell ringer to get down in there. Maybe the bucket was full?

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

A lady walking out behind us says to me "You shouldn't donate to them".

I was like :o.

So I asked "Why not?"

She says, "They don't approve of same sex marriage."

I said, "Oh, I thought maybe they did something bad."

She was like :angry:

Of course, I was now like:dontknow:

So I stopped and said "What else do they do you don't like?"

Now she was like :dontknow:

She says, "Well, that is all I know of." 

I was like :desk:

So I put on my teachers hat and enlightened her about all the good service work they do.

She was now like :facepalm:

So of course my next question was, "Are you going to dismiss all the good work because a conservative religion based organization doesn't agree with same sex marriage?"

She was like :blush:

Walking away, I was like :hapydance::nyanya:

I hate those bastards and their stupid peace-shattering racket they make.  I don't approve of their regressive politics, either, but I get it, they are a RELIGIOUS organization and they are taking money and are using their platform to prop their faith and beliefs with that money.  I will never donate to them because of the racket, and don't really care that there are religious strings on what they do because the word "salvation" is kind of front and center and what kind of idiot do you have to be to not realize that, right?

I think there are better charities to give money to, primarily because I don't believe that god has ever talked to a human in any form and people are lying to you if they even suggest otherwise, so why help one faith over another when well meaning people of many faiths and no religious beliefs band together for the betterment of ALL instead of a narrow band of humanity?  Yeah, I know they do good for some more than others, but they are not there to satisfy just me, they just gotta do the best they can by their standards.

Doesn't stop me from hating them because of the noise, it is godawful and completely unnecessary and get off of my lawn (and please donate to non-denominational charities and DON"T SUPPORT THE NOISEMAKERS!).

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Dickbag said:

I hate those bastards and their stupid peace-shattering racket they make.  I don't approve of their regressive politics, either, but I get it, they are a RELIGIOUS organization and they are taking money and are using their platform to prop their faith and beliefs with that money.  I will never donate to them because of the racket, and don't really care that there are religious strings on what they do because the word "salvation" is kind of front and center and what kind of idiot do you have to be to not realize that, right?

I think there are better charities to give money to, primarily because I don't believe that god has ever talked to a human in any form and people are lying to you if they even suggest otherwise, so why help one faith over another when well meaning people of many faiths and no religious beliefs band together for the betterment of ALL instead of a narrow band of humanity?  Yeah, I know they do good for some more than others, but they are not there to satisfy just me, they just gotta do the best they can by their standards.

Doesn't stop me from hating them because of the noise, it is godawful and completely unnecessary and get off of my lawn (and please donate to non-denominational charities and DON"T SUPPORT THE NOISEMAKERS!).

LOL, but how do you really feel?  For what it's worth the inside the store bell ringer doesn't ring her bell. It might be part of the agreement to have a nice warm dry place to set up. It's interesting because the owner of the store is Jewish but he recognizes the amount of good that they do and the percentage that goes to the needy.

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

LOL, but how do you really feel?  For what it's worth the inside the store bell ringer doesn't ring her bell. It might be part of the agreement to have a nice warm dry place to set up. It's interesting because the owner of the store is Jewish but he recognizes the amount of good that they do and the percentage that goes to the needy.

Well, that says more about the sensibilities of the store rather than the noise-polluting ass-poachers of dubious tactics.  I think I would like this store owner, he sounds pragmatic and nice.

1 minute ago, Dickbag said:

Well, that says more about the sensibilities of the store rather than the noise-polluting ass-poachers of dubious tactics.  I think I would like this store owner, he sounds pragmatic and nice.

He is nice, and he is a smart businessman. Our town is very small and they don't want growth. Several businesses wanted to locate in our town and were turned down. We used to have two grocery stores. A chain store and a privately owned store called "Walts". When the chain store closed down Walts bought the building and they lease it out to a Family Dollar and a fitness center. He made sure no other grocery located in town. He supports local kids sports and the local park. Most of his charitable doing goes unnoticed but my wife used to be the office manager at the store so she knew where the money was going.

I had a cow-orker who used to kill waiting time in the airport by hassling the hairless krishnas. 

"Here, I want you to have this rose"

"Thanks!"

"Would you like to donate?"

Gives rose back.

"No, I want you to have this rose"

"So you're giving me the rose?"

"Yes, would you like to donate?"

"So, you're selling me this rose?

"No, it is yours"

etc., etc., etc. :D

• Heart 2

41 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I particularly like the fact that @Wilbur took all the credit for putying the 10 spot in the kettle and gave none to whoever the other part of "we" was.  Probably his domestic partner.

My wife and I do separate giving. Some of it we discuss with each other like our girl in Haiti but most of it we don't. It all goes on the income tax when I file it so it's not a secret. Notice I didn't say the denomination of the bill I tried to stick in the kettle.

• Heart 1

After Hurricane Sandy, the Salvation Army was the only organization I saw in my town providing help to people.  I'm sure other organizations may have been around, or were in towns that were hit even harder, but I could see the SA actually here helping. 

• Awesome 4

6 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I'm always afraid that those are just guys with a kettle and a bell.  And even if they are with the SA, how do you know they don't take half the donations and keep them for themselves?  :dontknow: A few years ago here locally, we had a couple cases of volunteers caught siphoning off donations from their kettles.

:(

That's why I look for the prettiest bell ringer, make small chit chat about what part of Greenville she's from, her family, etc., then donate.  

• Awesome 2

From Fox23 News in Tulsa:

TULSA, Okla. - Someone stole a Salvation Army donation kettle filled with money from the Walmart near 81st and Lewis in south Tulsa on Saturday.

Officials said the kettle was padlocked to its tripod, which was also taken. The tripod and credit card machine were recovered, but the kettle was not.

"A kettle at a location like this will average at least $800 in a day. We may also be looking at repair costs for the equipment and replacing the kettle," said Capt. Ken Chapman, area commander of the Salvation Army Tulsa Metro Command.

The organization noted that the theft is especially distressing because they are running about 20 percent behind on donations.

"I will admit, we are concerned. We only have 12 days left to catch up on donations," Chapman said.

Dec. 23 is that last day kettles will be out in Tulsa. The campaign started Nov. 10 with a goal of raising $700,000.

"Each dollar, each dime, each nickel placed in a red kettle translates into services in our community for the homeless, hungry and downtrodden. The kettle donations don't just help at Christmas, but all year," Chapman said.

Donations to the Salvation Army can also be made online and by calling 918-587-7801.

16 hours ago, Dickbag said:

I hate those bastards and their stupid peace-shattering racket they make. . . . 

Yup. I also love the peace and quiet I always feel when I step out of a big box store and into a massive parking lot while dodging shopping carts and harried drivers. That unique experience of utter tranquility is just ruined. 

2 hours ago, Ltdskilz said:

Yup. I also love the peace and quiet I always feel when I step out of a big box store and into a massive parking lot while dodging shopping carts and harried drivers. That unique experience of utter tranquility is just ruined. 

:angry:

All that noise is common when throngs of people get smushed together, it is the EXTRA unnecessary noise that bothers me.   There is plenty of noise, there doesn't need to be more high pitched skull shattering noise added on.

I don't shop much these days, but it bothers me conceptually.  That people feel free to shatter the ambient sound for their own purposes is incredibly arrogant.  It is like a pinned post.  "Oh, take this terrible noise because I am sooooo important and I need to bother you excessively because I can and it is the season to annoy the living crap out of you and you aren't supposed to complain".  Hell no. that bell is going right up your ass, at least I can think that.

Noise bothers me more and more these days, you see, grinches me right up.