Do ya think about your funeral ?

Further

Funeral music that always sticks in my mind was at the funeral of an electrician's wife not unlike you, Further (the electrician, not the wife :D ).  She requested they play Neil Diamond's Always in Blue Jeans.  It was touching.

King of Nothing by Seals and Crofts would suit me. :D

Yours is very apropos. :)

• Heart 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

No.  I don't ever talk about the end game.  Actually, I don't even have a will.  We should rectify this, but it is such a difficult topic for me.  Death scares me.  

I am SHOCKED!  Such a fiduciary person in all other respects, too!

This is more apropos of a slacker like me. :D

'

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I am SHOCKED!  Such a fiduciary person in all other respects, too!

This is more apropos of a slacker like me. :D

'

Yes.  I know.  I am very disciplined about most matters in regards to finances.  One word.  Fear. I don't think at all about death or dying when I ride dangerous trail or do dangerous things.  Its the facing all that terminology and the finality of it all.  There is an advance directive that has been sitting in my to do box for a couple years.  I can't face it.

This is ironic, considering what my husband does for a living.  He deals with the end game and I can't even face it. 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I like how @Longjohn said a good time to worry aboot cleaning out all their accumulated stuff was after he was dead. :D

Just the two of us, and what will be will be. Celebrations of life are the only way to go. I've quit going to services at some churches, too somber.

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yes.  I know.  I am very disciplined about most matters in regards to finances.  One word.  Fear. I don't think at all about death or dying when I ride dangerous trail or do dangerous things.  Its the facing all that terminology and the finality of it all.  There is an advance directive that has been sitting in my to do box for a couple years.  I can't face it.

This is ironic, considering what my husband does for a living.  He deals with the end game and I can't even face it. 

Somofus refuse to acknowledge that we may indeed be mere mortals. :)

I don't want a funeral. I told my son to have me cremated and then put me in a strap me on the back of your motorcycle and as you are driving down a curvy mountain road open the box. Or one last lap around Road America would do while listening to this song. 

• Heart 1

Only thing thought of so far, it a classical baroque music (trumpet and others) to be played.  I like this ...there's another one I have difficulty remembering the title.. He does a fantastic job.

Scroll down further to beyond this repeat.

Below Pachbel's Canon was played at my sister's funeral (suicide).  she loved this piece.

Played at also at 2 sisters'  weddings (long before she died).  It is known in our family.

Played at my niece's wedding ..daughter of my sister who died.  Just 2 yrs. ago. Her wedding ring was remade from her mother's. She probably wants something of her mother always close to her.    

The piece below is well-known in the classical music world...it's grand, wistful, reflective and also sweeping. I think of all the beautiful outdoors vistas I've seen and the music swells like approaching an magnificent mountain,  rising in exhaltation.

I don't think of my funeral.  But I do think about my blog....how I want it to be good enough, to be eye-catching enough to those who know me well.  I want to leave the best digital footprint on the Internet that reflects the best spirit of who am and what I can do visually and in writing.

I already have done this...because most of you will never meet me in person. :) Aren't I your most northern forumite...too far.

11 hours ago, Further said:

When the parent dies the kid grows up.

The kid might be 52 but he / she is still a kid till mom & dad are gone. 

I was 61 when my Mom died.  I was no longer the kid.  In fact, our roles had reversed.  In her latter years, I was the parent and she was the child.

As you grow less afraid in life...you grow less afraid of death.  I won't say I'm fearless; but as some of my emotions have lessened or dulled, I questioned why I should be afraid.  Two massive anxiety-inducing jobs (and maybe the cure to them) made me ask why I should be afraid, if I should ever be afraid of someone, or something in that manner.

I don't go looking for death, but as I was once afraid of it, I ask myself why I should be.  If the faith I hold onto is wrong, well, it's certainly likely that I'll no longer experience pain, or sorrow, or any of the negative things I did or experienced in life.  I can look on that as a relief.  And if  the faith I've held onto is right and I've done a few good things on its behalf, then the song that I think of that gives me most comfort prevails. My only hope is that if as part of that process, I can be a sacrifice for someone else for good, that I am possessed of the courage to do so in that event.

I do not share the Mormon faith, but this is the best rendering I could find on short notice.  The full lyrics are in the Wikipedia link. I have loved to sing in life, and this song is one that still gives tears when I sing it.

Credit to Philip Bliss, the author, and the true story that led to it.  Bless you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Is_Well_with_My_Soul

• Heart 1

I'm the youngest in my family and I don't have any kids, so I don't imagine there will be much of a funeral..  Pretty sure my nephew will take care of the arrangements, but the place where I'll be buried is over 2 hours from my current home and likely to be more than 2 hours from where I'm living at some point in the future, so I wouldn't expect anyone but immediate family to travel for it.   I don't care much about the ceremony, but I live knowing where I'll end up.

My mother has mentioned a particular song she wants played on the way out, a very joyful, hand clapping song, because she "wants people clapping at my funeral".  I told her don't worry about the song, people will be clapping at her funeral anyway.  It's quite possible I'm out of the will.

I've done enough funeral ministry to know that the funeral planning is for the living, not the dead.  So I'll leave my planning for those who need it.  With any luck, they'll know how much joy I find in a good funeral Mass, and use that to plan a joyful Mass for themselves.

• Heart 2