The story where Heath found his forever home

jsharr

Please stop saying "forever home".  It is an overly sappified way of saying 'home' and is for simpletons stuck in a Disney princess world.  I know, it is repeated over and over and now actual men like you are saying it and it makes me sick inside. 

Many of the soft headed will still not be aware of what it takes to care for a dog and will still incredibly offload pets they don't have the capacity to understand because they don't know how to think for a nanosecond, or will move to a place that "doesn't take dogs" or any number of bs reasons, really. 

"Forever home" calls upon those who have a "rescue something complex because I can't rescue myself" romanticized notion that this is the thing that will inflate their social standing amongst other pudding heads, because now they can yammer about their brave "rescue" to their other friends who have or will now feel that they also have to "rescue" an unsuspecting and soon to be misunderstood and neglected and untrained animal for social circle-jerk reasons.

Geez, want a dog, get a dog.  It isn't dramatic, your aren't part of a SEAL team dropped in to kill terrorist breeders and save the puppies, you got a dog.  Save your energy for caring for and learning about your dog, don't focus on how brave your are or how you are to be lauded for providing a "forever home" that will most probably be temporary until some other complete idiot will take your untrained dog from your "forever home" to another "forever home".  :angry:

Despite the fact that you have only written one dog bio and have more to do, you are awesome to foster and socialize doggies so they have a better chance to be in a home environment.  The chances of it being a permanent home is increased if the dogs know how to behave normally and fit in a real household, but damn, that term is so wrong on almost every level. 

3 minutes ago, Dickbag said:

Please stop saying "forever home".  It is an overly sappified way of saying 'home' and is for simpletons stuck in a Disney princess world.  I know, it is repeated over and over and now actual men like you are saying it and it makes me sick inside. 

Many of the soft headed will still not be aware of what it takes to care for a dog and will still incredibly offload pets they don't have the capacity to understand because they don't know how to think for a nanosecond, or will move to a place that "doesn't take dogs" or any number of bs reasons, really. 

"Forever home" calls upon those who have a "rescue something complex because I can't rescue myself" romanticized notion that this is the thing that will inflate their social standing amongst other pudding heads, because now they can yammer about their brave "rescue" to their other friends who have or will now feel that they also have to "rescue" an unsuspecting and soon to be misunderstood and neglected and untrained animal for social circle-jerk reasons.

Geez, want a dog, get a dog.  It isn't dramatic, your aren't part of a SEAL team dropped in to kill terrorist breeders and save the puppies, you got a dog.  Save your energy for caring for and learning about your dog, don't focus on how brave your are or how you are to be lauded for providing a "forever home" that will most probably be temporary until some other complete idiot will take your untrained dog from your "forever home" to another "forever home".  :angry:

Despite the fact that you have only written one dog bio and have more to do, you are awesome to foster and socialize doggies so they have a better chance to be in a home environment.  The chances of it being a permanent home is increased if the dogs know how to behave normally and fit in a real household, but damn, that term is so wrong on almost every level.

Come to Dallas and visit a few of the places where these puppies come from go out in the woods and find a mother dog tied with rope to a tree and left to die. That is what their original home was like. I will say forever home because I have seen the suffering and I have seen the salvation

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

35 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Come to Dallas and visit a few of the places where these puppies come from go out in the woods and find a mother dog tied with rope to a tree and left to die. That is what their original home was like. I will say forever home because I have seen the suffering and I have seen the salvation

Not related to the term "forever home" at all, it is the term itself that is stupid bullshit crap for idiots.  I saw and heard of all this when I volunteered at the Boulder Valley Humane Society a bunch, the number of people bringing back animals from their "forever home" after 3 - 6 months is mind boggling.  Idiots, soft heads, brain damaged, the terminally unaware, these are the people that use the term and are the biggest offenders.  That is what I am talking about.

I have been to Dallas a few times, I know there are idiot rednecks there and in West Virginia and Alabama and even Ohio, I know they shouldn't be allowed to breathe our air.  That is a different issue than saying "forever home", though.

Crap.  I am tired and cranky and focused on the wrong thing here, and ruined your nice thread.  I should have done a separate post about my hate for the term and my love for the fact that you fostered and loved up and socialized doggies.

Can you delete my stuff and start again?  I can post my demi-rant separately.  

Sorry. :(

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dickbag said:

Crap.  I am tired and cranky and focused on the wrong thing here, and ruined your nice thread.  I should have done a separate post about my hate for the term and my love for the fact that you fostered and loved up and socialized doggies.

Hey, you were true to your name. :) Integrity has to count for something. :D

• Heart 3

15 minutes ago, Dickbag said:

Please accept this unsigned photo of Tom Hanks as an apology, as well as a photo of two of the feral dogs taken from an indian reservation that I socialized enough to make them adoptable.   Yeah, they were gonna euthanize them in New Mexico.  The photo was taken when they were almost ready for the public, they were baring teeth and growling at all people when I got them and considered unadoptable.  

jsharrt.jpg

pupsters2.JPG

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

29 minutes ago, Dickbag said:

No worries!  I know what you mean.  

This rescue agency does interviews with prospective adoptive families. They have a visit on neutral ground somewhere and then they have a home visit and if there are any doubts the adoption does not go through.

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, Dickbag said:

Please accept this unsigned photo of Tom Hanks as an apology, as well as a photo of two of the feral dogs taken from an indian reservation that I socialized enough to make them adoptable.   Yeah, they were gonna euthanize them in New Mexico.  The photo was taken when they were almost ready for the public, they were baring teeth and growling at all people when I got them and considered unadoptable.  

jsharrt.jpg

pupsters2.JPG

You should adopt Tom Hanks and give him a forever home

• Heart 3

57 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I love your story about puppies finding forever homes.  That said, I find much of this post offensive and I feel differently about someone here now.  Puppies getting homes make me:cheerleader::cheerleader:. Forumites showing a bad side of themselves :angry:

It must be me.  :( 

I wasn't railing against those fostering puppies, only those who utter fairytale concept words then adopt dogs while never having bothered to learn what it really takes to have a dog and bond with it and care for it and school it in the ways of good doggetry.  Lots of people who can't think their way out of cardboard box end up with dogs, then end up bringing them back at the first or second sign of difficulty.  It is the flowery term that is the trouble, that is what I can't stand.  If a term is so widely misused and ignored it just becomes meaningless, and so many think forever home just means an adoption, but that is just the beginning.

I will keep ranting about the use when it doesn't mean what it is meant to mean for people who have no ability to truly commit.  People who cannot commit and will give away a dog will also do the same to people, which is why dogs are way better than most of us.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I love your story about puppies finding forever homes.  That said, I find much of this post offensive and I feel differently about someone here now.  Puppies getting homes make me:cheerleader::cheerleader:. Forumites showing a bad side of themselves :angry:

I understand completely what dickbag was talking about. He is talking about those people that think how fun it is to have a puppy and have no idea the responsibility and then bring the puppy back to the rescue organization

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

We must forgive Dickbag for his misguided half-ass rant because underneath his Scrooge-like exterior is a heart that loves animals, procreates Disneyland princesses, and is from Ohio.     :slow-dance-smiley:

Ah, the rant was ok, I just put it in the wrong thread.  I hate imprecise language and phrases like "forever home" and people blowing saccharine butterflies up my butt.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I understand completely what dickbag was talking about. He is talking about those people that think how fun it is to have a puppy and have no idea the responsibility and then bring the puppy back to the rescue organization

Exactly.  When my dog had cancer and was expected to live three months (6 months with fantastic luck and perfect care), I can't tell you how many people would say things like "Well, you ought to put her down now" while she was still having a good life and enjoying being a dog, just because it would be inconvenient and costly for me.  It was all that and more (I stopped counting when her medical bills hit $15,000, had to wipe her butt after pooping for the last two years), and she lived 3 1/2 more years where she was still active and having a good life, just slowed down a bit.  My dog wouldn't put me down at the first sign of trouble, and I wouldn't either.

• Heart 2

49 minutes ago, Dickbag said:

Ah, the rant was ok, I just put it in the wrong thread.  I hate imprecise language and phrases like "forever home" and people blowing saccharine butterflies up my butt.

I think in this case the point was they went from "foster home" (temporary) to "forever home" (rest of his life).  I don't care for overloads of rainbows and unicorn farts either, but I think in this case the "forever home" was appropriate. 

And Yay for Heath and the Jsharr family!  And the new Heath family!!!!

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Dickbag said:

Not related to the term "forever home" at all, it is the term itself that is stupid bullshit crap for idiots.  I saw and heard of all this when I volunteered at the Boulder Valley Humane Society a bunch, the number of people bringing back animals from their "forever home" after 3 - 6 months is mind boggling.  Idiots, soft heads, brain damaged, the terminally unaware, these are the people that use the term and are the biggest offenders.  That is what I am talking about.

I have been to Dallas a few times, I know there are idiot rednecks there and in West Virginia and Alabama and even Ohio, I know they shouldn't be allowed to breathe our air.  That is a different issue than saying "forever home", though.

You know, I was having such a good day until I read two of your posts on two separate threads.

I think I'll just leave here for awhile and resume cuddling with the four felines that found forever homes at the Honey Badger compound.  Hey @Wilbur come on over and maybe we can have a few drinks after we give money to Salvation Army bell ringers.

• Heart 1

I am even more offended. I have fostered about 100 dogs. None of them went to senseless people who weren’t committed. Those of us who foster and go through the emotion of placing a dog are not simpletons who grab at the first human who says yes I will take that cute pup. We find homes for dogs which is vastly different than finding dogs for people. Rant all you want it is your right but you do not know crap about the subject. In my world dogs get forever homes. I stand by my original post. I am offended and your sugar coated explanation did not help. 

24 minutes ago, Airehead said:

but you do not know crap about the subject.

But I do know about it.  I have seen it and hear about from people who work in the shelter, not just the other folks who volunteer.  I don't think it is just a fairytale ending the minute someone adopts a dog, because it isn't a fairytale ending; I know bunches of those dogs are coming back.  Like I said, it is the beginning.   The interview process helps, the home visit helps, but once the dog leaves the shelter, it is up to people who adopt. 

Many people who adopt are not thinkers, are not patient, do not have the necessary ability to weather the initial growing pains or integrate the dog into the family's life.  Many are just enamored with the concept of "forever homes" and don't understand that an animal has its own personality or independent thoughts and won't always obey or doesn't occasionally like to roll in goose poop or play with skunks and doesn't shed to their great annoyance, that they don't need to be challenged or exercised every single day.  I still think that believing "Well that is it, another happy ending" upon adoption is a spin that falls very short on reality, and selling it as such further incents unfit people to adopt.

20 minutes ago, Dickbag said:

So you are pro-noise and pro-abandonment?   :scratchhead:

No, I'm pro "stop bitching about the term forever home and make it a real term".

I'm pro "stop bitching about a bell ringer and celebrate the good some people, a possibly small but significant number of people, do in the world."

Before we decrease that number of people and instead cause the world to churn out more !@#$-ing Honey Badgers.

(walks off muttering about the counting to ten that he's already failed and tosses a !#$ing ten-spot in the swear jar)

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, Honey Badger said:

No, I'm pro "stop bitching about the term forever home and make it a real term".

I'm pro "stop bitching about a bell ringer and celebrate the good some people, a possibly small but significant number of people, do in the world."

Before we decrease that number of people and instead cause the world to churn out more !@#$-ing Honey Badgers.

(walks off muttering about the counting to ten that he's already failed and tosses a !#$ing ten-spot in the swear jar)

All right, you disagree.  It is still an unrealistic idea to believe that adopting a pet and just calling it a forever home doesn't mean that many of those dogs don't find their way back in to the shelter, and bell ringers can go pound sand and I would be happy to never hear them again. Yay.

32 minutes ago, Dickbag said:

All right, you disagree.  It is still an unrealistic idea to believe that adopting a pet and just calling it a forever home doesn't mean that many of those dogs don't find their way back in to the shelter, and bell ringers can go pound sand and I would be happy to never hear them again. Yay.

(throws another twenty in the swear jar, knowing he's going to regret what he's about to say, knowing that counting to 100 won't stop it anyway).  And @Square Wheels give me a warning, because I'll probably need it after this one. (breathes deep)

Dude...

There have been times where I've wanted to say this to you before.  I've wanted to say it because I like you.  I've met you, I've drank with you.  And because sometimes, somebody actually needs to say the crappy thing to someone they like.

But there are times when I want to yell "Fuck you and the mangy dark, dipshit skeleton of a horse you rode in on for making it all a little more negative when you could be doing the exact opposite".  I've had enough fucking negativity to last me a lifetime, and admittedly, some of it's self-inflicted, but some of it is self-inflicted like somebody cutting on themselves, an action that didn't start without a cause.  Somebody who's seen enough, heard enough, experienced enough that when all you can see is a shit world and a shit self, you believe it.  And it's hard -really, really, REALLY hard -to not become part of it when you've experienced it the way I have. And I still AM it some of the time, as people can no doubt see here.

And yet I have to believe that hopefully someday the world will become a better place.  The place where I can be the person I used to be, experience being the positive, decent (well, I think who knows) person I was who believed that more than just individual persons were good, and that people were crap.  Someone who believed people were built to be good, to do good. Somebody that can actually be outwardly good without it being taken advantage of.

And then you take a couple of decent things, and you just pull your fucking pants down and take a thumper-dumper pile of steaming shit all over them over semantics and a couple of little namby-pamby piddly things that annoy you, that have nothing to do with someone who actually DID good, TRIED good.  If that's who you're going to be, crawl back somewhere where you can be that on your own without spreading it like a case of the clap everywhere you go.  Because it doesn't do anybody an ounce of good, and in fact, it's a net loss. Instead of looking at something good, you look at how it could go bad, and you're the anchor on the chain that keeps the boat from going anywhere.

I'm not asking you to find Jesus, I'm not asking you to save the world.  And there's probably some good things you do in it that I'm just not aware of.  But those above kind of actions are those of someone who pisses in people's Cheerios rather than trying to enjoy a small bit of light that someone just gave the world. Once is a moment, twice is a coincidence, third time's a statistic.  Do good, and try not to do bad relative to how it affects others. And if you have to piss in Cheerios -do it in your own bowl in the bathroom where nobody else has to see, smell, or hear it.

• Awesome 1

6 hours ago, Honey Badger said:

(throws another twenty in the swear jar, knowing he's going to regret what he's about to say, knowing that counting to 100 won't stop it anyway).  And @Square Wheels give me a warning, because I'll probably need it after this one. (breathes deep)

Dude...

There have been times where I've wanted to say this to you before.  I've wanted to say it because I like you.  I've met you, I've drank with you.  And because sometimes, somebody actually needs to say the crappy thing to someone they like.

But there are times when I want to yell "Fuck you and the mangy dark, dipshit skeleton of a horse you rode in on for making it all a little more negative when you could be doing the exact opposite".  I've had enough fucking negativity to last me a lifetime, and admittedly, some of it's self-inflicted, but some of it is self-inflicted like somebody cutting on themselves, an action that didn't start without a cause.  Somebody who's seen enough, heard enough, experienced enough that when all you can see is a shit world and a shit self, you believe it.  And it's hard -really, really, REALLY hard -to not become part of it when you've experienced it the way I have. And I still AM it some of the time, as people can no doubt see here.

And yet I have to believe that hopefully someday the world will become a better place.  The place where I can be the person I used to be, experience being the positive, decent (well, I think who knows) person I was who believed that more than just individual persons were good, and that people were crap.  Someone who believed people were built to be good, to do good. Somebody that can actually be outwardly good without it being taken advantage of.

And then you take a couple of decent things, and you just pull your fucking pants down and take a thumper-dumper pile of steaming shit all over them over semantics and a couple of little namby-pamby piddly things that annoy you, that have nothing to do with someone who actually DID good, TRIED good.  If that's who you're going to be, crawl back somewhere where you can be that on your own without spreading it like a case of the clap everywhere you go.  Because it doesn't do anybody an ounce of good, and in fact, it's a net loss. Instead of looking at something good, you look at how it could go bad, and you're the anchor on the chain that keeps the boat from going anywhere.

I'm not asking you to find Jesus, I'm not asking you to save the world.  And there's probably some good things you do in it that I'm just not aware of.  But those above kind of actions are those of someone who pisses in people's Cheerios rather than trying to enjoy a small bit of light that someone just gave the world. Once is a moment, twice is a coincidence, third time's a statistic.  Do good, and try not to do bad relative to how it affects others. And if you have to piss in Cheerios -do it in your own bowl in the bathroom where nobody else has to see, smell, or hear it.

All right, I agree it is good that people call you out from time to time, and fair criticism is definitely helpful.  You should know I greatly respect your opinion, and just as you have bad moods and react to things, so do I, and maybe a good bit of that naturally reflects each person's personal reality at the moment.

I do react to wording on lots of things, this is true, especially canned narratives.  I realized what I did early on and apologized to jsharrt early on, who recognized that I was definitely not going after him or what he was doing in fostering puppies, just taking exception to the hallmark pitch that is so busily repeated in the public sphere these days. 

Since I am forced to explain that, again, I will not roll back my assertion that the "forever home" sales pitch seems to ensnare more people adopting who are more interested in the "happily ever after" aspect than doing the actual work once they have the dog at home.   My sentiment is entirely directed at the people adopting the dogs, not the shelter staff who explain it and explain to often deaf ears.  Aire, I respect you more than you realize, and I am not sugar coating anything.  You should know that about me by now, as should all the regulars.   I think you all know you are getting uncut streams of consciousness, and when I get down on a concept, I also get past it quickly.

Again, I had looked early on and realized the wrong place/wrong time aspect of what I said and how I said it early on.  I explained to one of my favorite forumites and I apologized for manner of my derailment of his topic, and he graciously replied that he knew what I was getting at.  I had already lambasted myself for it pretty thoroughly on this end and apologized, I am sorry I made it necessary to respond again to it.  If I offend, please realize the intent isn't malevolent.

I would appreciate very much if this thread could be put to rest now.

As someone who loves dogs and admires and respects other dog-lovers it's upsetting to read this thread.... in that I believe that a caring attitude towards dogs is an affirmation of our own humanity. When I do find this caring attitude shared by others then I want to celebrate that this is so and would wish it were not dampened by any friction or animosity.

Just saying.