Make amends, love someone so it's not hard for eulogy

shootingstar

1 of my close teen friends, her mother suddenly when she was hit by a car as a pedestrian.  Her mother was only in her mid-50's.  I went to the funeral...and found the eulogy lacking. Probably the family was in such shock. No one from the family could deliver the eulogy My friend was only her late 20's.

I told myself to relook at the people who I love but have difficult relationships. That I needed to change how I related to them and appreciate who they truly are. And my relationship must become good enough, that I could assist in writing their eulogy when they died.

I have drafted 2 eulogies for my father, my sister. Then it was tweaked by siblings.  Does every family have a writer like this?  I am willing to do it..in grief.  It is the best I can do to honour them in love.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

1 of my close teen friends, her mother suddenly when she was hit by a car as a pedestrian.  Her mother was only in her mid-50's.  I went to the funeral...and found the eulogy lacking. Probably the family was in such shock. No one from the family could deliver the eulogy My friend was only her late 20's.

I told myself to relook at the people who I love but have difficult relationships. That I needed to change how I related to them and appreciate who they truly are. And my relationship must become good enough, that I could assist in writing their eulogy when they died.

I have drafted 2 eulogies for my father, my sister. Then it was tweaked by siblings.  Does every family have a writer like this?  I am willing to do it..in grief.  It is the best I can do to honour them in love.

I've delivered a few eulogies. I each case, I went up front with nothing more than a few bullet points, and delivered with total ease. Even got a few chuckles.The most recent was for my dad going on five years ago now. Herd to believe he's been gone that long.

I sure miss him.

I don't think I'd call it a eulogy but I did a talk about my FIL about 2 months ago.MIL & I sorted through hundreds of pictures. We picked out 50-60 that were a good representation of his life. So that was pretty easy. MIL wanted it happy and i think we found it. He was 91 and a WWII vet. I lost a good friend that day. 

Mom & Dad are both in hospice so we should probably start preparing for that

36 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I was 23 when my mom died....I would love to write a eulogy for her....it wasn't a common practice at the time...and I could not have done it then...I was shattered.

:(  You still can, petite. You just need to choose a particular day and have some friends with you. Or do it solo.  The whole evening can be about her.

My mother is still alive (83 yrs.) but not totally great health.  I did this blog post because I/my siblings owe the foundation of our good health to her:  https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2015/11/22/judge-not-the-poor-eating-healthy/     

My good health isn't just because of cycling/being car-free for decades.  

• Heart 2

I have had to write a few and deliver them when students have passed away.  I find the writing part a good way to deal with grief.  I deliver them fine and then I fall apart.  At a Quaker funeral there is general silence until someone is moved to speak.  I remember feeling so much comfort when my grandmother passed-- people spoke so beautifully from their hearts.  I hope I can bring comfort to the family of the grieving with my words as well.

My parents asked me to write one for my granddad when he died a few years ago.  It was pretty hard to do so.  He was a fairly big deal in the community.  The mayor and a bunch of cops, firemen etc. were there.  Hard to get up in front of all of those people and talk.  

Lots of people came up later to tell me how good I had done.  And at least 6 people said "I am sorry about your dad, Bob."  For the record, Bob is MY dad.

• Heart 2