How warm do you keep your house in the winter?

Longjohn

It is set and held at 70°F per our electric company. We have the NEST and they are allowed to regulate it during "rush hour" use. They never let it get below 68°F during the summer or above 75°F during the summer. 

65 at night, 72 when we are up and at home. The family room where we spend most of our time is usually colder than that due to a poor cold air return system. It would cost thousands to make it better. 

We didn't use our wood stove for several years because it would affect our youngest daughter's asthma. We just haven't got back in the habit since she moved out. I bet now that she lives in Arizona it won't affect her if we start it again! 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I am at my parents. It is way too hot. Like 80. Old people. I am wearing a t shirt. At home 70 in the morning. Unoccupied 65. Evening 68. Sleep 65 

My dad is that way since he started dialysis! Have to remember to layer so I can shed when I go there!

It doesn't make sense that the cold outside would make it feel colder inside, but it seems like that is what has happened. We have been keeping the t'stat up around 68, 70. Expecting a 300 dollar gas bill for this month. And probably 150 for electric.

I'm thankful to be able to keep warm.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Wo46 and I don't agree on the temperature.  62° when sleeping and when nobody's home 66° when awake. I will sneak the thermostat up to 68 or 69 and she will freak out and turn it down to 65°. When I'm in the garage the thermostat set to 68° to 70°.

• Awesome 1

My hallway thermostat is set at 73F.  All of my rooms are slightly cooler than that, with the TV room I virtually live in about the same as the hallway.  I do not heat my 2nd floor during the winter and, with rising heat, it stays over 60F.  My basement, almost totally below ground level, stays around 65-70F due to all the forced air heat tubes running through it.

8 hours ago, Airehead said:

I am at my parents. It is way too hot. Like 80. Old people. I am wearing a t shirt. At home 70 in the morning. Unoccupied 65. Evening 68. Sleep 65 

This is how it works :nodhead:  I tend to think 70's in our 70's..80's in your 80's and yeah 90 year olds like it hot!!  Thankfully, I usually only go to apartments for television issues...or possibly when someone new moves in...Poor guys in maintenance have to work in these hot apartments...not sure which is worse...winter or summer :dontknow:   They don't use the AC in the summer either....

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, petitepedal said:

This is how it works :nodhead:  I tend to think 70's in our 70's..80's in your 80's and yeah 90 year olds like it hot!!  Thankfully, I usually only go to apartments for television issues...or possibly when someone new moves in...Poor guys in maintenance have to work in these hot apartments...not sure which is worse...winter or summer :dontknow:   They don't use the AC in the summer either....

I don’t expect to change my preferences much. I have always liked heat. It was -15 when I got up this morning and the house was 77.

14 hours ago, Further said:

It doesn't make sense that the cold outside would make it feel colder inside, but it seems like that is what has happened. We have been keeping the t'stat up around 68, 70. Expecting a 300 dollar gas bill for this month. And probably 150 for electric.

I'm thankful to be able to keep warm.

The wife and I both start getting chills in the house after the sun goes down. :scratchhead:

On another note, when I woke up this morning I turned the thermostat down one degree because its ten degrees+ warmer outside then it has been in weeks. :hapydance:

• Awesome 1