Specialized Diverge Moving Into The Lead

Razors Edge

...after spending some more time looking over bikes and specs etc..  I like the thru-axle vs the Crossrip's QR.  It seems like folks really do notice (often? sometimes?) the wheel torquing under braking which shouldn't happen with the thru-axles.  It looks like a little shorter at the back, so maybe a rack is not quite as heel friendly, so that might be the biggest drawback. 

The other issue/pain is Specialized continuing to thing "more is better" from their product line up. There are at least EIGHT Diverge models (for men) - four E5 alu and four CF. FutureShock stem is only on the top level E5 and all the CF bikes. I would also need to think about which fenders would work well on a bike like the Diverge.

DivergeCompCF.jpg.00199131265aabdd0b29469435da3d4b.jpg

Tom

A good seller at Spokes. I like the thru axle and wish my AWOL had it. When I get a little torquey, the brake rotors make noise on the pads until they self-adjust. My boss bought a carbon Diverge to ride the GAP/C&O Canal trail. The carbon won't take a rack, he bought a BoB trailer to haul his gear. Thru axle required a different axle for that.

1 hour ago, Old#7 said:

A good seller at Spokes. I like the thru axle and wish my AWOL had it. When I get a little torquey, the brake rotors make noise on the pads until they self-adjust. My boss bought a carbon Diverge to ride the GAP/C&O Canal trail. The carbon won't take a rack, he bought a BoB trailer to haul his gear. Thru axle required a different axle for that.

I wonder about the rack issue. I see absolutely NO difference between the rear triangle on the CF vs E5 models. I see that the E5's come with "Alloy rack mount seat collar, 31.8mm" versus a normal seat collar for the CF models.  That little doodad hole above the thru-axle looks like where a rack screw would go in. Maybe the CF handles a rack, but being CF, Specialized is pushing "performance" vs "utility" for that pricier group??? Considering they maintain the same CF fork for all models - with a front rack mount - I think it is just a marketing ploy.

DivergeE5.JPG.c86133b6fe6279668e67e3b54ad8fba3.JPGimage.png.c0c5f08ffec80bdc85f2f7dd32aef560.png

DivergeFork.JPG.21740975d375157eeb8f0e5b40fd8f55.JPG

Tom