Stonehenge

Randomguy

1 minute ago, Three times a dickbag said:

What is the deal?  Did anybody figure out why it was built yet?

What is a henge?

Too many questions! Had you just asked one, Peds would have helped. Asking three??? No effing way.  Abusing your privilege.

Tom

• Heart 1

In ancient times it was important to know key dates of the year in order to know when the salmon were running, when it was safe to plant without frost, etc.

The alignment of the stones and certain exterior stones line up at sunrise or sunset on key dates like the Winter and Summer solstice.

My guess is the local kings and their shamans (Stonehenge predates the Druids) didn't explain their solar/lunar understanding in detail to the masses, so Stonehenge - and other henges (circles of stones) in the British Isles and other areas of Europe - were a way to keep the people in awe because the political and religious leadership held the secrets of when to successful food acquisition.

Stonehenge was surely used in religious ceremonies where the "mysteries" of time were revealed by the Shamans who also probably knew where to get and grind stone containing copper, sodium, potassium, etc. so they could hold a nighttime ceremony and throw the ground stone into a fire and produce green, yellow, pink, etc. flashes of light. Then, as the sun rose, they "magically" proclaimed it was time to plant or seek the salmon or sail safely to what's now France, etc.

12 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Too many questions! Had you just asked one, Peds would have helped. Asking three??? No effing way.  Abusing your privilege.

Tom

1 answer will suffice, the best book I ever read about what it is for/about is a New View Over Atlantis.

A thoroughly fascinating subject IMO.

15 hours ago, KrAzY said:

I like to think they were put there to F××× with people in the future.

I actually thought of this. I think it be fun to let people hundreds of years later talk out their ass on why it was made. When in reality, they were randomly placed pieces of rock :D

• Awesome 1

22 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

There's nothing random about it, nothing. For example, the diameter of the outer circle of sarsens is a pretty accurate representation (to scale) of the earth's diameter.

I apologize if you are being serious. Every circle is an "accurate representation (to scale) of the earth's diameter".

You know what? I'm not serious about my apology. If you are serious, you are an idiot.

1 hour ago, pedalphile said:

There's nothing random about it, nothing. For example, the diameter of the outer circle of sarsens is a pretty accurate representation (to scale) of the earth's diameter.

Maybe a person a long time ago say the "alter" stone in the field and wanted to give that rock some friends.. or maybe he decided it would make a nice table and built a stone infrastructure with a wooden outside.. one night he was relaxing with his friends and the Big Bad wolf blew his house down.. he didn't have time time to rebuild the outside and SUPRISE.... Stonehenge!

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

I apologize if you are being serious. Every circle is an "accurate representation (to scale) of the earth's diameter".

You know what? I'm not serious about my apology. If you are serious, you are an idiot.

Negative that. Probably you should read the book.

5 minutes ago, donkpow said:

With impressive facts similar to that presented previously, I'll pass.

Look. This circle represents the earth and is accurate in scale:

Circle.gif

What about the people that are flat earthers and they do not believe the earth is round? Ya got a straight like mock-up for them?

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

That's probably it. The above figures are probably coincidental.

The numbers are also very large. Multiplying 0.003 of a foot by 6 million yields an answer of 1800 ft. I would be surprised if any measurements of the components of Stonehenge were carried out to 3 decimal points.

51 minutes ago, donkpow said:

The numbers are also very large. Multiplying 0.003 of a foot by 6 million yields an answer of 1800 ft. I would be surprised if any measurements of the components of Stonehenge were carried out to 3 decimal points.

Yes, the stuff in that book will surprise any1. Example, the measures used in S America, Egypt and southern England are all the same units. How is that even possible?

• Heart 1

This Stonehenge/circle thing is more than curious.  There's an almost ominous pattern here.

If you were to measure the circumference of the stone circle at Stonehenge, and divide that by the diameter, you get a number.

And if you do the same calculation with the measurements of the earth, you get the same exact number!  :scratchhead:

What's more, you do the same calculation for a circle, any circleyou get the same exact number!!!  :runcirclsmiley:

This can't be a mere coincidence, it just can't be!  How did the ancients know how to build Stonehenge, setting such huge stones with primitive construction methods, in an exact circular pattern as to place them so the circumference and diameter would yield a number of 3.1415926535897932384626433832795 etc. etc. etc?

It's both astounding and confounding, and I fear the real answers to this Stonehenge mystery are lost to us forever.

• Awesome 2

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

This Stonehenge/circle thing is more than curious.  There's an almost ominous pattern here.

If you were to measure the circumference of the stone circle at Stonehenge, and divide that by the diameter, you get a number.

And if you do the same calculation with the measurements of the earth, you get the same exact number!  :scratchhead:

What's more, you do the same calculation for a circle, any circleyou get the same exact number!!!  :runcirclsmiley:

This can't be a mere coincidence, it just can't be!  How did the ancients know how to build Stonehenge, setting such huge stones with primitive construction methods, in an exact circular pattern as to place them so the circumference and diameter would yield a number of 3.1415926535897932384626433832795 etc. etc. etc?

It's both astounding and confounding, and I fear the real answers to this Stonehenge mystery are lost to us forever.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

16 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Airsteamhenge

Unfortunately, after 10 years, lost battle with Code Enforcement and was torn down in 2017. Easily seen from I4 near Tampa and to some was considered an eyesore.

roadtrip.jpg

Hopefully the owner cleaned them up and sold them. There's serious money in re-furbed Airstreams!

Tom

• Awesome 1

52 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Hopefully the owner cleaned them up and sold them. There's serious money in re-furbed Airstreams!

Tom

Unfortunately...no.

Video link showing actual destruction converted to present day video of current issues. This is a still of the tear-down. As I recall, it was assembled by the owner of an RV park, so would have known the value. From the video, they hadn't been stripped on innards as saw cabinets and other woodwork.

images.jpg