So, I resigned from my job yesterday.

The_Karen_Cooper_Incident

It's always hard leaving somwhere where there are people you like, but it sounds like you've carefully considered the pros and cons and that the new job is right for you and your goals.  Congratulations and best wishes on the next stage.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Chris... said:

What are you going back to school for?

I want to do something in the medical field.  Nursing or something in drug re-rehabilitation counseling.

I considered pursuing something in the STEM fields like Physics, but I just don't think I have the brain cycles and aptitude to do that shit anymore.  Not that nursing and counseling aren't demanding subjects; I just don't think grinding out calculations are my thing at this point. 

DK

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dunning Kruger said:

I thought it was going to be an easy thing to do but it wasn't.  I have a ton of respect for the manager I called yesterday.  His character inspires me; he's a really good man.  But, he doesn't run the company.  He doesn't make staffing decisions and I'm certain he has a directive to bleed out the last of the blood of every employee (this might sound dramatic but I wouldn't be surprised if it is true).  I have three co-workers I adore and love; which also made this decision to leave a hard one.

Anyway, I'm moving on to a place where my schedule allows me to go back to school.  The new company knows a new degree is my final goal.  I'll work a night shift and eventually move to a 1st shift with the agreement I can take day classes as needed.  From everything I've heard from the inside, you generally work 40 hours a week; something I have not done in a very very very long time.  I generally work 50 to70 hours a week, depending on the week (most weeks lately have been around 70).  The new job is more money and I'm hoping to use the extra cash to eventually buy Ming a house and pay for school out of pocket.

Sorry if this is a boring post but this is the only place I have to write this stuff down in a public forum.  Facebook isn't an option for things like this.

Thanks for reading my drivel.

Couch

Great planning and execution!  Especially having the new job lined-up before quitting the old one.

Sounds like you'll have a much better opportunity to advance your career now!

• Heart 2

Yay!  Congrats on the new gig, maybe you can pull some of your old coworkers with you if it goes well!

You should celebrate by eating a hot dog wrapped in bacon and deep fried.  And a chocolate chip cookie.  The hot dog should have fresh pineapple and teriyaki sauce on it.  And a bun.  The cookie should be gooey in the center but crunchy on the outside.  They should be obscenely expensive.  

Afterwords, you should sit in a recliner and relax.  Possibly fall asleep in it.  

If you want me to celebrate for you, let me know and I will go accomplish those things in your honor.

• Heart 2

...I'm happy for you.  One of the happiest days of my life was the day I gave my two weeks notice at the Social Security Administration.

That one worked out pretty well for me, personally. And the agency itself has continued in a downward slide as I envisioned at the time.

Job loyalty is one thing.  Working damage control on the Titanic is quite another. I can still recall how draining it was to work for those people.:(

• Heart 2

14 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I'm happy for you.  One of the happiest days of my life was the day I gave my two weeks notice at the Social Security Administration.

That one worked out pretty well for me, personally. And the agency itself has continued in a downward slide as I envisioned at the time.

Job loyalty is one thing.  Working damage control on the Titanic is quite another. I can still recall how draining it was to work for those people.:(

Damn It Page!  YOU could have saved the SSA, but you jumped ship and screwed us over.

• Whatever 1
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, Dunning Kruger said:

I just got off a meeting with one of my coworkers.  Let's call him buck20.  Since I'm on call, he told me I had to do some of his work that should be scheduled during the week.  I told him 'no' and explained the policy.  I have roughly 20 hours of work scheduled this weekend.  I'm just not going to do it.

I'm sure management will call me soon.  I'll tell them I no longer have a desire to do his work.  He often pawns off work to other co-workers and he makes a considerable amount more than the rest of our team.  It's time he starts earning his keep.

DK

5 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

Job loyalty is one thing.

I don't know that the younger generation has those ideas anymore, and I kind of agree with them.  Most employers willfully disregard what is good and healthy in their workforce, and will work you as much as they can work you until you burn out and/or become homicidal, then toss you aside for a cheaper, younger worker if they can.  Alternately, they may shoot you and laugh while you bleed out.

3 hours ago, Dunning Kruger said:

Anyway, I'm moving on to a place where my schedule allows me to go back to school.  The new company knows a new degree is my final goal.   The new job is more money and I'm hoping to use the extra cash to pay for school out of pocket.

Congratulations on making the move, Couch.  And your plan to finish school with it being paid for is "aces".  Way underrated by too many people these days.

BTW, the med field needs good people like you. 

Today, YOU are the man!

• Heart 3

5 hours ago, Goat Geddah said:

Congratulations on making the move, Couch.  And your plan to finish school with it being paid for is "aces".  Way underrated by too many people these days.

BTW, the med field needs good people like you. 

Today, YOU are the man!

Oh, I'll be paying for my degree.  However, the bump in pay will help pay for it.

Thank you for the kind words.

DK

• Heart 2