A mole has taken up residence in my front yard.

Page Turner

All breeds of moles reproduce once a year. February is mating season for the West Coast. Those property owners in the Mid-West and East Coast have another month. Notice all the fresh mounds? The male is searching for females. Moles are active throughout the year and can be trapped at any time, but using the mating instincts to our advantage is a must. Moles are tough enough to trap. Let’s get started.

Before setting mole traps, determine which runways are currently in use and/or where fresh excavation is occurring. Moles dig a system of deep tunnels that are more or less permanently used as well as a network of surface runs used for feeding. Some of the surface tunnels are only temporary so they may not make a good trap set. Moles are more likely to be trapped in the deep runways, which they reuse almost permanently.

...of course, this means war.:angry:

We occasionally have a mole problem. It usually takes me two days to end the problem. One year, a mole was out near the street in a place I couldn't leave a trap. I waited and waited until the critter got in the yard so I could set the traps. Well, it was too late as all the tunnels I could find were old tunnels, not being used. So I was standing outside one evening and one of the feral cats was standing listening to the flower bed. I quick grabbed a dirt fork and stabbed the mole through the dirt. Dead.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

The same cat I mentioned brought me a live mole. She turned it loose in front of me but I couldn't get to it quick enough so it got away. She looked at me and said something like, "I am disturbed, saddened, and disappointed in your lack of motivation during this opportunity.":lol:

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1