Your decent do-it-yourself skills?

shootingstar

Well, you know things that you make from scratch and do ok. 

Mine are:  cooking, sewing (which lazy me I haven't done for 2 decades. But used to sew my wardrobe for 15 yrs. prior to cycling) and art.  Photography doesn't quite count --since I haven't bought a digital SLR to replace a manual SLR I used to take good photos. 

Yes, I've been paid to sew clothing and do clothing alterations for others if asked. Hence, have a very good eye for store bought quality and pricing.

Lots of my canvas art lying in piles at home. I do give cetain art to family as gifts. Not sure if they appreciate it. But yes, I've designed and given my own Christmas cards in handmade calligraphy. :flirtyeyess: Does blogging count?  I am writing and creating blog site for the 'Net from scratch --minus the blogware template already given to bloggers worldwide.

Lousy at:  gardening, bike repair....I confess. Canning- doubtful I will ever get into it.

I build bikes.  I also build models of things and various RC vehicles.  I never buy completed but always work with kits and sometimes simply raw materials.

That's probably because I've always worked with my hands.  Long before I finally finished a degree I had constant employment in the prototyping industry, first for the Navy, then for Pratt and Whitney Aircraft and then into the laser industry.  I design circuit boards, wiring harness, environmental control systems, instrumentation, the software for the systems (mostly PLC type software) but for the prototype folks I also hand build all these things because it is too expensive and time consuming to start up a contractor to build one or two.

Some of this gets used around the house.  The funny part is that my last boss said that instead of learning things at work that I used in my hobbies, I had brought skills and things from my hobbies to work.

• Heart 2

16 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I build bikes.  I also build models of things and various RC vehicles.  I never buy completed but always work with kits and sometimes simply raw materials.

That's probably because I've always worked with my hands.  Long before I finally finished a degree I had constant employment in the prototyping industry, first for the Navy, then for Pratt and Whitney Aircraft and then into the laser industry.  I design circuit boards, wiring harness, environmental control systems, instrumentation, the software for the systems (mostly PLC type software) but for the prototype folks I also hand build all these things because it is too expensive and time consuming to start up a contractor to build one or two.

Some of this gets used around the house.  The funny part is that my last boss said that instead of learning things at work that I used in my hobbies, I had brought skills and things from my hobbies to work.

Do you have a cool home workshop? I often read Make: magazine and they show some pretty cool tools for high level home "makers".  If I had a reasonable workspace besides my garage, it would be neat to get a 3D printer or a CNC machine or other stuff they write about. The thought of designing and fabricating my own stuff would be a fun hobby. I could see creating RV stuff as being a neat application. And if something turns out really well, a neat side business (sort of how K-Edge emerged).

Tom

Honestly I am usually amazed at the lack of do it yourself skills I see displayed, especially among young men.

I can rebuild a car engine, fix just about anything mechanical, cook, clean, iron, build buildings, home repair, run plumbing lines, electrical lines. Can hunt; clean, skin and process the meat, can grow my own food. 

Many, many things. P

• Heart 2

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Do you have a cool home workshop? I often read Make: magazine and they show some pretty cool tools for high level home "makers".  If I had a reasonable workspace besides my garage, it would be neat to get a 3D printer or a CNC machine or other stuff they write about. The thought of designing and fabricating my own stuff would be a fun hobby. I could see creating RV stuff as being a neat application. And if something turns out really well, a neat side business (sort of how K-Edge emerged).

Tom

Up till the time I retired I had all the neat tools I needed in the lab.  Now I'm retired and I can no longer have "every toy I want".  These days I'm back to working just with my hands and hand tools.  I've got the bike I want for now so little building there.  I no longer need to design circuit boards or build them.......other than a bit of small work for the drones.  Software has rapidly evolved beyond the brute force sort of stuff that I once did.  The modeling is what I do the most of now as it combines all the skills I learned over the years with a passion for history.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Honestly I am usually amazed at the lack of do it yourself skills I see displayed, especially among young men.

I can rebuild a car engine, fix just about anything mechanical, cook, clean, iron, build buildings, home repair, run plumbing lines, electrical lines. Can hunt; clean, skin and process the meat, can grow my own food. 

Many, many things. P

Maybe it's the 'Net world or ? Eating out all the time (which some women are like that if they can afford. I have a friend like that. She never cooks.)

You mean they don't even cook, garden, landscape, etc?  Seriously among some of the younger guys, cooking doesn't have the stigma as in past ..probably due some of the cooking/foodie shows.  All my sisters have married men who do cook. One of them enjoys it ..and he did take culinary courses to work. He bakes great beautiful pies, does roasts, etc.  He and sis made sure their children learned to enjoy diverse.foods/cuisines.

I noticed you didn't mention gardening..which is just as viable for guys. One guy knows goes to our local coffee shop in our office building, to get scrap coffee grounds for his garden. Apparently it makes great fertilizer.

52 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Many, many things. P

My kids have different skills.  Youngest followed in my footsteps, perhaps not the wisest thing as it's become difficult to find quality employment as a jack of all trades jr. engineer/engineering aid/mechanic.  The world of speciality expert is frustrating his search for employment. One no longer wants to be recognized as a useful jack of all trades The oldest is a world traveler skilled in several languages and with a math ability that turns cards into living money when he's not teaching languages.  Neither has the mechanical skills that I developed but that world is diminishing as the hand made work moves overseas.

Both can cook, wash and take care of themselves but if the car breaks.............nada.

I grew up on a farm.  My grandparents lived there.  Mr. Bob lived there.  People did stuff.  I was the ony girl.  I did stuff too.  I can compost, make a garden, can or freeze the veggies and cook from scratch with these ingredients.

I can groom dogs and cut/dremel their toenails.  My vet charges ten bucks to do this.  I do it every week times the number of dogs we have.  I would have paid out lots of money.  Mr. Aire even does Ylva's when she is here so she doesn't feel left out.

I can bale hay and stuff like that.  The one thing I am proud that I can do is use a hydro seeder--- even if I did cover my boss one day at my college job.

I can paint and wall paper.  

People seem happier throwing things away these days.

I can not sew much more than a button.

• Heart 2

23 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

My kids have different skills.  Youngest followed in my footsteps, perhaps not the wisest thing as it's become difficult to find quality employment as a jack of all trades jr. engineer/engineering aid/mechanic.  The world of speciality expert is frustrating his search for employment. One no longer wants to be recognized as a useful jack of all trades The oldest is a world traveler skilled in several languages and with a math ability that turns cards into living money when he's not teaching languages.  Neither has the mechanical skills that I developed but that world is diminishing as the hand made work moves overseas.

I'm not sure of that:  2 of my nephews can make simple things..with wood and nails. One is already in mechantronics...combined mechanical engineering and robotics at a university.  His brother is aiming his application for engineering or who knows at this time. This latter young man also  fixes bikes for money at one of the local sports shops after school.  I'm not sure about building bikes.  Give him time..he's only 17 yrs. old. :)

My eldest nephew probably is not at all mechanically inclined as his father...who does some basic stuff but probably can't /doesn't want to do house wiring because of the electrical code requirements.  Both men have..PhDs....father is prof in engineering sciences (the most theoretical, difficult engineering discipline) and his son, biochemistry.  

An engineer properly understands this..my partner has a civil engineering degree which of course doesn't mean he is naturally inclined to fix anything around the house. But he seems to know basic plumbing. He built his own farmhouse and has installed drywall. There are certain things he doesn't want to do because of his allergies / building code requirements. He certainly can question contractors heavily on structural design matters and has advised others what to ask of contractors for home retrofits.  He is proud of his son who has/is a chef for jobs, cooks at home (when he isn't tired/falling asleep after running his own shop).  HIs son has cooked elaborate 4-6 course gourmet meals whenever his father visits.  It's wonderful to see this between son and father.

Most women I know hardly /don't know how to sew.  I don't have patience to knit, crochet.  But dearie's daughter likes to knit simple for self...and for her dog. :) It has 2 comfy dog cardigans for winter.

Mine are pretty minimal.  My gardening is ok, and I can do minimal mechanical work.  I did manage to get an MG engine rebuilt as a young adult, and the kart racing required some mechanical skills.  I loved to rebuild Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engines as a kid, and as an adult I degunked the lawnboy 2 cycle.  But I am pretty useless around the house.  Can replace a faucet and minimal things like that, but not much more.  I do enjoy fixing worn out stuff once in a while.   I am more of a putterer. :D

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I grew up on a farm.  My grandparents lived there.  Mr. Bob lived there.  People did stuff.  I was the ony girl.  I did stuff too.  I can compost, make a garden, can or freeze the veggies and cook from scratch with these ingredients.

I can groom dogs and cut/dremel their toenails.  My vet charges ten bucks to do this.  I do it every week times the number of dogs we have.  I would have paid out lots of money.  Mr. Aire even does Ylva's when she is here so she doesn't feel left out.

I can bale hay and stuff like that.  The one thing I am proud that I can do is use a hydro seeder--- even if I did cover my boss one day at my college job.

I can paint and wall paper.  

People seem happier throwing things away these days.

I can not sew much more than a button.

Awesome. I agree our throway society doesn't help.  My partner was part=time weekend farmer in addition to his city fulltime job. He had several cows,pigs and chickens.  He had to learn a lot from a farmer nearby.

Cooking mostly.  I'm pretty handy around the house but I don't like to do DIY projects. My wife has the desire for home improvements but not the skill.   So our DIY projects generally start with her and end with me...

I've built a few bikes over the years and can do most repairs but generally take my bikes in for service more than fixing flats. However i clean & lube all of our bikes, my wifes included.

32 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Cooking mostly.  I'm pretty handy around the house but I don't like to do DIY projects. My wife has the desire for home improvements but not the skill.   So our DIY projects generally start with her and end with me...

I've built a few bikes over the years and can do most repairs but generally take my bikes in for service more than fixing flats. However i clean & lube all of our bikes, my wifes included.

Saaaay, what do you use for lube.

:ph34r:

Cooking and baking (even if my bread skills are limited my cookies rock) I can sew but it is not high on my favorite things to do...knit basics and some needle arts...  I replaced my own disposal.... and although I didn't do the flooring install...I sure as heck took all the old carpeting out and took down wallpaper and painted....I could probably do a lot more...but am insecure in some of these home maintenance activities...I would love to be able to hire someone to just assist me...and make sure it is in deed done correctly!

4 hours ago, Further said:

RG ?

I think that would be indecent 'do-it-yourself' skills, which would be an entirely different thread (I would hope).

;)

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Mine are pretty minimal...   I am more of a putterer. :D

I would say that procrastination is a high level, multi-faceted do-it-yourself skill that often takes years of studied practice to develop the talent properly.  :nodhead:

• Awesome 1

15 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Cooking and baking (even if my bread skills are limited my cookies rock) I can sew but it is not high on my favorite things to do...knit basics and some needle arts...  I replaced my own disposal.... and although I didn't do the flooring install...I sure as heck took all the old carpeting out and took down wallpaper and painted....I could probably do a lot more...but am insecure in some of these home maintenance activities...I would love to be able to hire someone to just assist me...and make sure it is in deed done correctly!

A good, long standing friend who is single, lives in her own house (and also has a condo), enjoys browsing around in Home Depot.  She did some stuff like you did re her house. She hired someone to do more difficult stuff.  She does take apart and put together her bikes. She is car-free (which helps save money to ...do other things), uses car-share for last 20 years (in Toronto).  She isn't overly keen to cook but does it because she knows it's healthier for her to prepare some of her own meals.  Agree, it's one thing to claim that one can do certain things, but is it done safely, correctly?

It is more time-consuming do all this stuff solo for a single detached home. And no partner around to pick up other less liked chores.  

There isn’t too much around the house I can’t/won’t do. WoW said I became a bit of a folk hero at her work! They would ask what we did over the weekend. Maybe we remodeled the bathroom. “Oh. So you painted? A new faucet?” No. We gutted the room and replaced all cabinets and fixtures. I did my own ceramic tile work as well. About all I won’t do is carpet (good tools cost more than paying someone to do it), HVAC or the electrical panel itself!

I have rebuilt old cars, but that passion has kind of gone away.  I would rather drive them now.  I can still do some work on them but weigh the cost of paying someone vs what my time is worth!

I enjoy photography.  I have a stack of plastic model cars I want to work on again some time.  I like to cook, but hate to clean up! 

I never knew this was unusual because it’s what I learned from my parents.  My kids have learned well. My son called to tell me he just got to ride with his new winter helmet after he finished tuning his bike this morning. 

WoW said youngest daughter is making a patio set out of pallets and was busy sanding them for finish. 

Eldest daughter is a tremendous cook! WoW is pretty good, but daughter has surpassed her! Her BF enjoys working on his Jeep and the older BMW he bought last spring. 

• Heart 1

53 minutes ago, groupw said:

There isn’t too much around the house I can’t/won’t do. WoW said I became a bit of a folk hero at her work! They would ask what we did over the weekend. Maybe we remodeled the bathroom. “Oh. So you painted? A new faucet?” No. We gutted the room and replaced all cabinets and fixtures. I did my own ceramic tile work as well. About all I won’t do is carpet (good tools cost more than paying someone to do it), HVAC or the electrical panel itself!

I have rebuilt old cars, but that passion has kind of gone away.  I would rather drive them now.  I can still do some work on them but weigh the cost of paying someone vs what my time is worth!

I enjoy photography.  I have a stack of plastic model cars I want to work on again some time.  I like to cook, but hate to clean up! 

I never knew this was unusual because it’s what I learned from my parents.  My kids have learned well. My son called to tell me he just got to ride with his new winter helmet after he finished tuning his bike this morning. 

WoW said youngest daughter is making a patio set out of pallets and was busy sanding them for finish. 

Eldest daughter is a tremendous cook! WoW is pretty good, but daughter has surpassed her! Her BF enjoys working on his Jeep and the older BMW he bought last spring. 

:)  All good.

It's interesting to be part of a big family to see similarities and differences in DIY skills. Poverty can force children to learn certain skills because the parents must survive financially. That's why my mother ensured her 5 daughters learned to sew their own clothing by the time we were teens.  Our sewing skills came from mother mentoring, not from school.  We are all competent in clothes making, meaning sewing complete tailored suits, etc.  Because my father was not mechanically inclined, my brother learned basics from school and from manual.  He cannot do much in house repairs.  But that's ok...he knows computers and setting up anything digital  since his job/career is IT.

The challenge is somehow for DIY work/project to be done because certain things couldn't be purchased ready-made, was for my parents to be ever patient and give us time to do the task.

Sewing and clothing/fashion design is vastly under-rated...depending on skill level..the person can get into design...which drafting pattern pieces around the uniqueness of each human body. It is a combination of artistic skill (visualization skills combined with colour, texture and fabric weight)  and technical skill:  Just remember that when seeing fashion shows and innovative clothing construction with right materials.  Or seeing a guy in a fabric store, giving advice to customer or using a sewing machine. His skill is still on par with repairing a piece of equipment (except with equipment you don't have to apply artistic skills, more spatial and logic skills).

My around the house skills including amateur but good-quality carpentry, masonry, electrical work, and plumbing.

I also am generally good at cooking and make some really good dishes that are demanded of me when we gather for Easter, Thanksgiving, etc.

But my mother and her sisters were SO good I know I'm not a great cook.

• Heart 1

I have built a couple hundred homes and ran two construction companies.  Was a school trustee and was asked to get further into politics.  Was always athletic and played multiple musical instruments.  Apprenticed as a goldsmith, flew in the Airforce, airlines and corporate aviation all over the world.  Sell jet aircraft and fix pretty much anything mechanical.  While I can wire a house to code, I really suck with electrics and electronics.  Reasonably well rounded I guess.. 

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I also am generally good at cooking and make some really good dishes that are demanded of me when we gather for Easter, Thanksgiving, etc.

But my mother and her sisters were SO good I know I'm not a great cook.

My partner taught his ex-wife how to cook. Her mother died when she was a teen.

We have no need to instruct each other how to cook dishes that we each do well.  My partner was inspired by ...his mother. He loved to watch her as a little boy..and that's when she slowly taught him. Same for his brother.

Parents have much to offer if teaching is light-handed and encouraging.

• Wilbur
  • Members
  • 19,560 posts

I have built a couple hundred homes and ran two construction companies.  Was a school trustee and was asked to get further into politics.  Was always athletic and played multiple musical instruments.  Apprenticed as a goldsmith, flew in the Airforce, airlines and corporate aviation all over the world.  Sell jet aircraft and fix pretty much anything mechanical.  While I can wire a house to code, I really suck with electrics and electronics.  Reasonably well rounded I guess.. 

So you took up aviation after construction?  You must have had boundless energy.

As a gift my mother gave me a new sewing machine, after I finished my Master's degree. At first, I was offended:  Doesn't she get it? I have 2 university degrees.  Then I snapped to reality: my parents had no money to lend. This gift was to sew my career wardrobe.....for my job search and jobs.  Rest is history.

Yesterday evening I removed our old dishwasher and installed a new one.  I also replaced all the plastic drain pipe under the kitchen sink with steel fittings. 

It all started when I noticed water in the cabinet under the sink, so I started planning to replace the plastic pipe which I thought rather flimsy.  I had to disconnect the dishwasher discharge line, and Mrs. TK mentioned the dishwasher wasn't dispensing soap anymore, the dishes were coming out dirty, and she sort of like the one I'd installed for my daughter.

So I looked on line and the big box store still had the same model, on sale even.  After being married more than three decades I've almost got it worked out so I'm fairly good on the uptake for a hint.

The only puzzle was the insulation around the dishwasher tank.  It's there (supposedly) to make the dishwasher quieter.  Unfortunately the manufacturer didn't glue it to the dishwasher so it was just loosely laid on top and draped over the sides.  The opening in the cabinets was a bit snug, so I knew the insulation would just catch on the cabinets and wad up as I pushed the dishwasher in place.

So I took the cardboard box the dishwasher came in, cut it down so it covered the insulation on the top and sides, and pushed the dishwasher in that way.  The insulation compressed - but didn't catch - with the cardboard protecting it from the rough cabinet surfaces.  Once the dishwasher was in place, I slid the cardboard out.  Since the cardboard had a smooth surface it came right out and the insulation stayed put.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

On 1/20/2018 at 7:49 PM, Chris... said:

I can do anything that has a youtube video showing you how.

This.  I really feel like given enough time and money I can truly fix anything.  But often times it's just cheaper and easier to have someone do it.  Time and money are things that I don't have a big supply of.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

This.  I really feel like given enough time and money I can truly fix anything.  But often times it's just cheaper and easier to have someone do it.  Time and money are things that I don't have a big supply of.  

Hmmm. Now I am seeing this post differently!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
On January 20, 2018 at 6:07 PM, shootingstar said:

I noticed you didn't mention gardening..which is just as viable for guys. One guy knows goes to our local coffee shop in our office building, to get scrap coffee grounds for his garden. Apparently it makes great fertilizer.

Hello Shootingstar.  Actually, yes I did mention it "Can hunt; clean, skin and process the meat, can grow my own food."  I just didn't say the word 'gardening'.  'Grow my own food' was all inclusive -  gardening, greenhouse, raising chickens, etc... And yep, we apply used coffee grounds to the soils of some foodstuffs. 

• Awesome 1

On January 20, 2018 at 6:07 PM, maddmaxx said:

Both can cook, wash and take care of themselves but if the car breaks.............nada.

Understood.  But even though 'jack of all trades' may be an employable thing of the past, having those abilities are useful even in the modern world.  Example, motor went out on my washing machine. Went to buy one at the local Maytag place (hoping they had one in stock). They explained to me why my particular machine was 'not worth repairing and wanted to sell me a new $700.00  machine; explaining why it would save me money and that if I repaired my old one I be back shortly to replace it anyway.  They did finally quote me a motor $140.00.  I left, bought my motor and a belt elsewhere for about $120.00, repaired the machine and its running beautifully.

But anyone knowing nothing of machinery, would have been convinced to make the new purchase.

There is an old adage that states (specifically applying to cars, but works on all types of machines): "The cheapest car to drive is the one you already own."

I pretty much live by this. I come from a very poor upbringing. We didn't just throw things away because they were old. For me mostly, when things surpass their usable/repairable life, then I replace them. It keeps me well behind the technological advances, but I am OK with that. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Zealot said:

There is an old adage that states (specifically applying to cars, but works on all types of machines): "The cheapest car to drive is the one you already own."

I pretty much live by this. I come from a very poor upbringing. We didn't just throw things away because they were old. For me mostly, when things surpass their usable/repairable life, then I replace them. It keeps me well behind the technological advances, but I am OK with that. 

I wear out my t-shirts until they are tattered around the collar..for home.  However I do wear business clothing as old...as 15 years ago. They are classic cuts. Which means the incentive for me not to gain weight! 

I'm probably pale to many women who love buying clothing/fashion ..still lots of clothing lying around. Have to remember to wear them.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, Chris... said:

I can do anything that has a youtube video showing you how.

This.

My DIY project today was fixing the squealing brakes on my mountain bike. It had been a while and watching a 5 minute YouTube was an easier refresher than reading some manual if I could even find it. Cleaned the calipers and rotor with alcohol after bleeding the hydraulics and put totally new pads on as the existing may have been contaminated. Took them out after re-assembly and super quiet! 

My father custom built homes so from age 6 on I was at his job sites and learned a lot. DIY skills include carpentry, electrical, plumbing, flooring, painting, landscaping and the insight NOT to put on a roof anytime in Florida heat - just bite the bullet and pay for it. The skills have also morphed into woodworking, small electronics, auto and bike repair. Projects planned or completed within the last 5 years include, designing and laying sprinkler system, enclosing porch, remodel bath and kitchen, changing poly plumbing to pex, building a curio for wife, about to install gutters to stop some erosion, refinish my canoe. Today, when purchasing brake pads at the LBS they were building out a Pinarello with Chorus, and I am thinking...I could do that!.