It's all about that noise (adventures in vehicle repair)

jsharr

Last Monday before last, I drove home from "work" and parked the truck in the driveway.  At least I attempted to, but for some reason my transmission would not go into Park.  Would show to be in park, but truck would roll down the driveway.  I called Chevy and they told me to bring it right over, and they would give me a loaner.

So I get to Chevy, my service guy starts the truck, puts it in gear, puts in park and tells me it is in park.  So I gave it a push and it rolled down the driveway until he put the parking brake on.  Told him about some other issues with the tire pressure monitor, the audio and a rattle when turning and accelerating at the same time up or down hill.  

A week goes by and they call me to tell some shift selector fork had sheared off.  Had to order it.  A few more days go by and they tell me it was not the shift fork thingee but some sort of actuator, they ordered it, replaced it, replaced all four tire pressure sending units, checked the battery (they say it is fine) and tell me they cannot find the rattle and asked me to come in and make it rattle.  

When I got there last night, traffic was so bad it was hard to find a road that met the requirements of turning, accelerating and changing grade.  They asked me to come back today during the day.  Took less than two blocks to make it happen with the service department manager in my front seat.  He was and is stumped.  He heard the noise but has no idea what it is.  He asked if he could drive my truck for the rest of the day to figure it out.

I am very happy that I was able to recreate the noise, because in the past, they have always told me they could not find it.

I have three year, 36K of warranty and I am coming up on both soon.  Will be three years old in July and it has 32K on it now.

Now I just have to get them to stick a new battery in it.

Could you all cross your non Indy fingers for me on that one?

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

The damn wall is really slow down the supply chain.

Guess you should've gotten an American truck like a Tundra or Titan instead of one those foreign trucks.

• Heart 2

39 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Click and Clack used to be able to diagnose problems on the radio when callers would imitate the sound. At least they could come up with something that sounded plausible or funny. 

That was the high point of the show. :D

Except for maybe starting every mechanic interview with the question: "How big is your boat?". :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That was the high point of the show. :D

Except for maybe starting every mechanic interview with the question: "How big is your boat?". :D

I like click & clack rate the repairs in terms of how many boat payments it would be. Water pump & thermostat. 1 boat payment

Car talk was a comedy show with car repair as the premise

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

So why did they replace the tire pressure sensors? and did they replace the "kit" or the whole damn thing.  

Not sure what they replaced.  They told me all four sending units.  It was randomly losing communication with the sensors lately

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

Not sure what they replaced.  They told me all four sending units.  It was randomly losing communication with the sensors lately

OK, that was probably the "kit" or insert at about $11 each.  The entire unit however runs about $40-$100 and has to be unbolted from the inside of the wheel.  Nissan owners should be familiar with this latter process as for years they have been known to corrode and leak air.  It's good to have a pressure sensor that reports your low pressure that it is causing.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

We have ~60 vehicles in the fleet. Mostly 4-door Silverado Z-71s. We are buying one new QuadCab, LT, Z-71 every month. September's purchase was towed back to the dealer 4 times in the first 4 weeks: wiring harness connector not tight; main wiring harness connector not tight, instrument cluster harness connector messed up, chassis ground not correct/tight. The fourth time we told them to keep it.

December's purchase was back at the dealer twice before it hit 80 miles.

One guy's 2 year old model's AC just died.

The way they treat us up there, somebody must be getting a kick-back. Dunno

Mine runs well, <<knocks wood>>. Coming up on 58k miles in less than 2 years. The XM/On-Star antenna leaked when I got it, it took a week for them to fix it, but no probs since.

3 minutes ago, 2Far said:

We have ~60 vehicles in the fleet. Mostly 4-door Silverado Z-71s. We are buying one new QuadCab, LT, Z-71 every month. September's purchase was towed back to the dealer 4 times in the first 4 weeks: wiring harness connector not tight; main wiring harness connector not tight, instrument cluster harness connector messed up, chassis ground not correct/tight. The fourth time we told them to keep it.

December's purchase was back at the dealer twice before it hit 80 miles.

One guy's 2 year old model's AC just died.

The way they treat us up there, somebody must be getting a kick-back. Dunno

Mine runs well, <<knocks wood>>. Coming up on 58k miles in less than 2 years. The XM/On-Star antenna leaked when I got it, it took a week for them to fix it, but no probs since.

Has GM outsourced electrical systems to Lucas?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, jsharr said:

We just had a couple get mixed up in our Traverse.  I was putting air in the front driver's side tire, and the system was showing the increased PSI in the rear tire.  Our local guy was able to correct it.

I guess I have been at this forum a long time..... it doesn't seem like almost three years since you got that truck.  This is the red one?

17 hours ago, jsharr said:

Told him about some other issues with the tire pressure monitor,

Since my trailblazer was new, I would get "service tire pressure monitoring" on my DIC periodically. Then typically several miles later it goes off. When this happens I scroll thru the tire pressures and one tire will show --- which is no signal.

So it is getting funny, sort of.  They finally did look at the heat shield over the muffler.  It had rocks on it.  They took them off.  Did not solve the noise.  They thought it was the bendix on the starter hitting the flywheel.  Replaced the starter.  No difference.  They are stumped.  They are going to have a Chevrolet engineer look at it.  I hope he is like @Indy or @Thaddeus Kosciuszko and can tell one end of a pocket protector from the other.

So any thoughts on what would make a rattling/grinding sound, almost sounds electronic at times, that occurs only under a very specific set of circumstances, which generally have to do with turning, accelerating and uneven road conditions?  

I want to hear your thoughts?

They are beginning to suspect transmission, but I do not think that is it.

• Heart 1

It's either suspension, motor mounts or transmission mounts given when it's occurring.  It was a Nissan Titan, I'd say it's transmission mounts and the fix is to put the mounts from a Frontier on it (yeah, odd they used heavier mounts on the Frontier and not on the Titan and that they are identical fit) but I'm not familiar enough with Chevy's anymore to really guess.

• Heart 2

Soooooo.  Dealership called.  Seems the parking pawl / selector thing is actually broken and they think that is the source of the noise.  It is part of the transmission case, so having to have the case replaced.  I am a bit dubious, but we will see what happens when I get it back next week.

Earlier, I got a call from the dealership telling me that they noticed I had not had my vehicle in for service lately.  I told the nice young lady that my truck had been there since Martin Luther King Day....  She then asked me for an email address.  Told her that I already got dealership email.  She then asked what else she could do for me.  I told her I would like to have my truck back.  

• Heart 1

Since the parking pawl actually mechanically engages the transmission preventing the drive shaft from turning, breaking it off will usually leave bits loose inside the transmission.  The most common cause for breaking this off is getting lightly hit while parked.......or being a doofus and shifting into park while still moving.  The hit while park thingie is a good reason for using your parking brake even on an automatic transmission when parked so the car doesn't roll away if someone hits it.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Since the parking pawl actually mechanically engages the transmission preventing the drive shaft from turning, breaking it off will usually leave bits loose inside the transmission.  The most common cause for breaking this off is getting lightly hit while parked.......or being a doofus and shifting into park while still moving.  The hit while park thingie is a good reason for using your parking brake even on an automatic transmission when parked so the car doesn't roll away if someone hits it.

maxresdefault.jpg

I am asking them to carefully check the transmission internals for damage, metal in the fluid, etc as I too am very conncerned about metal on metal contact inside the transmission.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:52 PM, maddmaxx said:

maxresdefault.jpg

On 1/26/2018 at 5:58 PM, jsharr said:

I am asking them to carefully check the transmission internals for damage, metal in the fluid, etc as I too am very conncerned about metal on metal contact inside the transmission.

Or, taking a heavy boat out of the water on a steep ramp, without using the parking brake.