Well, that maybe the dumbest thing I've ever done

Indy

Had an interview today, basically it was for stuff that I've been doing for almost 2 decades now.  So yeah, I think I crushed it and then some.  Just emailed them to remove my name as a candidate though.  One thing that bugged me in the interview, not that I led on to it, was their entire philosophy of how they do things.  It's entirely reactionary to problems instead of what I've been doing my entire career of trying to be proactive and solve the problems before they become a problem, yeah, sometimes things happen and you have to react, which is fine but to basically have a focus and emphasis on being completely reactionary with a focus of keeping production going at all cost so they encourage quick and ration decisions seemed completely ludicrous to me.  Then add into the mix this is a medical device manufacturer and it's almost scary that they have that kind of focus and attitude.

Could I do the job, oh yeah, but I'd be miserable as it goes against so much of what I've learned and believe to be the correct way to do things.

God I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

Just now, petitepedal said:

Is this the place you interview at last week?  The one that sounded so hopeful....

No this was one today.  Contract job, recruiter called me Friday and set it up real quick.  Never even got a job description so went to the interview completely blind.

Last weeks I really want, but that would require them giving me a chance and them thinking it went better than I did as I left that one feeling like I had just gotten ran over by a freight train.  Of course as my wife has said, that was my perception and she knows how badly I hate it when I don't have the answers.

8 hours ago, Indy said:

I hope this doesn't come back to bite me

If you had taken the job, at some point you would have started pointing out to them their reactionary vs. preventive nature of their processes.  At first, naturally, they would have ignored you, because you'd be the new guy and you'd be a 'know nothing temp contractor'.  Eventually either they'd become irritated with your pointing out their flawed culture and fire you, or you'd quit - in exasperation or to limit your personal liability if one of their devices hurt or killed someone. 

Neither scenario would look good to future prospective employers during an interview.  "Tell me what happened at XY Company.  You were only there for a month..."

Consider it a positive that you got an interview, and consider it a compliment that you have skills that companies need.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Indy said:

Had an interview today, basically it was for stuff that I've been doing for almost 2 decades now.  So yeah, I think I crushed it and then some.  Just emailed them to remove my name as a candidate though.  One thing that bugged me in the interview, not that I led on to it, was their entire philosophy of how they do things.  It's entirely reactionary to problems instead of what I've been doing my entire career of trying to be proactive and solve the problems before they become a problem, yeah, sometimes things happen and you have to react, which is fine but to basically have a focus and emphasis on being completely reactionary with a focus of keeping production going at all cost so they encourage quick and ration decisions seemed completely ludicrous to me.  Then add into the mix this is a medical device manufacturer and it's almost scary that they have that kind of focus and attitude.

Could I do the job, oh yeah, but I'd be miserable as it goes against so much of what I've learned and believe to be the correct way to do things.

God I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

Good on ya.  It's the way I worked all of my career and I would hope that there would be more companies that did so.  I know it's difficult to turn down a job but I've worked both sides of that street and I know I was unhappy on one side.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Good on ya.  It's the way I worked all of my career and I would hope that there would be more companies that did so.  I know it's difficult to turn down a job but I've worked both sides of that street and I know I was unhappy on one side.

Yeap, I spent a decade trying to get out of my last job and this place made my old job sound like a dream.  It would've been a pay raise, but then when you factor in all the added responsibility and liability (as the hiring manger said it would all be on me with basically no support from anyone) the pay was incredibly low.