Should the Browns sign Kirk Cousins, then draft Sam Darnold AND Baker Mayfield?

Randomguy

Sam Darnold is a stud but he's not  ready for the NFL.  I'd hope he could go to a team and back up for a season (Giants) rather than go to a team where hes expected to turn it around (Browns).  

He will wow you with amazing throws under pressure and make you bang your head by throwing a pick 6 when he should have dumped the ball out of bounds...

I've been watching him every Saturday for 2 seasons and think he's the best QB to come out of SC since Carson Palmer.

My team, too is trying to solve their QB conundrum. Cousins has about a 2.5 to 1 TD to Int ratio and a decent Yards per attempt stat.  Appealing. He's not elite, but he's probably in the 10-20 range. We have a QB who's in the 15-25 range, so for us it would be a small step up.  What's Case Keenum doing next year?

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think Darnold can be a great QB but he needs time to develop. Physical traits are through the roof but decision making....

This also sounds like Deshone Kizer. 

3 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Decision making Trumps Physical Traits, and its a real crapshoot if they will ever get it.

Josh Allen is troubling for the same reason.  What, you are a QB god but can't complete 57% of your throws in a crap conference?

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Decision making Trumps Physical Traits, and its a real crapshoot if they will ever get it.

I agree at the NFL level but Darnold was only a college starter 1.5 seasons.  The kid is a red shirt Sophomore with like 20  college starts.  

He needs time to develop and most felt another year of college would have really helped.  But the Trojans are losing many skill players on offense this year so I get why he would leave while his stock is high.  SC is going to be mediocre even with Darnold in 2018.

40 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Cousins is a smart guy.  No way he will sign with the Browns or any other team that isn't likely to be competitive.

Precisely.  He'll have his pick of contenders.  Denver, Arizona, perhaps J'ville.  He'll go where he wants, and his contract will be for record money.  All for a guy who is mid-level talent.  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Goat Geddah said:

Precisely.  He'll have his pick of contenders.  Denver, Arizona, perhaps J'ville.  He'll go where he wants, and his contract will be for record money.  All for a guy who is mid-level talent.  

Yes.  I've always been a Redskins fan, but I've never been sold on Cousins.  He's a good guy, though I doubt he will ever be a top tier NFL QB.  But several teams are hungering for adequate play at the quarterback position and he should cash in while the market is hot. 

• Whatever 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

You guys haven't mentioned Josh Rosen..

Isn't he considered kind of a dickbag?

Anyway, the Browns could field a Washington-like team next year if Cousins shows up.  Plus, anybody who helps bring the Browns back to championship caliber football will be a god in Cleveland forever.  Smith himself said "Nowhere else to go but up", although he may have meant that another way.

2 minutes ago, Random dickbag said:

Isn't he considered kind of a dickbag?

Anyway, the Browns could field a Washington-like team next year if Cousins shows up.  Plus, anybody who helps bring the Browns back to championship caliber football will be a god in Cleveland forever.  Smith himself said "Nowhere else to go but up", although he may have meant that another way.

Entitled prima Donna but a helluva college QB.  

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Entitled prima Donna but a helluva college QB.  

One time I went to a Chargers practice when Ryan Leaf was a rookie.  After each practice play rotation, the players not in on the next rep would stand and shoot the breeze while they waited their next turn.  Nobody talked to Leaf on any of his off plays.  Not that I think Rosen will be like that, but a QB must be liked to be effective and maintain respect with the teammates, so I guess that is a bit of a worry.  Plus, he is douchey enough to state that he doesn't want to play and live in the Paris of Ohio, so definitely a bit entitled.  That could change after talking to Dorsey and the coaches, and realizing that Cleveland does have the youngest team in the league that now has a tiny bit of seasoning, huge amounts of salary cap space and ALL the high draft picks.

Cleveland has some pieces to surprise this year, if they work it properly.  If they work it properly and have few injuries and great luck, , plus a great draft and free-agency signings, they could get to 10 victories (although that is highly unlikely).  The Jaguars did it this year, so that is the example to strive for.  Also, Haley is a combative prick and a really good coordinator, so the offense will take some steps.

We'll see.

11 minutes ago, Random dickbag said:

One time I went to a Chargers practice when Ryan Leaf was a rookie.  After each practice play rotation, the players not in on the next rep would stand and shoot the breeze while they waited their next turn.  Nobody talked to Leaf on any of his off plays.  Not that I think Rosen will be like that, but a QB must be liked to be effective and maintain respect with the teammates, so I guess that is a bit of a worry.  Plus, he is douchey enough to state that he doesn't want to play and live in the Paris of Ohio, so definitely a bit entitled.  That could change after talking to Dorsey and the coaches, and realizing that Cleveland does have the youngest team in the league that now has a tiny bit of seasoning, huge amounts of salary cap space and ALL the high draft picks.

Cleveland has some pieces to surprise this year, if they work it properly.  If they work it properly and have few injuries and great luck, , plus a great draft and free-agency signings, they could get to 10 victories (although that is highly unlikely).  The Jaguars did it this year, so that is the example to strive for.  Also, Haley is a combative prick and a really good coordinator, so the offense will take some steps.

We'll see.

I've been following Cleveland on the periphery as Kessler went there. (USC QB before Darnold).  I think Darnold is the real deal and seems like a good kid off the field.  Humble, blue collar family, public school, multisport kid... If he goes to Cleveland you will like the kid.

The prognosticators seem to think he's going there. I just think he's going to have a rough go for a year or two before he figures it out and I do believe he will.

1 minute ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

Boy, talk about walking into a no-win situation!  Kessler never really had a chance here, plus he was overdrafted a couple of rounds.

Yeah Kessler was a surrounded by superior talent but was a meh QB.  Darnold did far more with less.

35 minutes ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

We'll see.

Oh hey remember when Jr Seau completely destroyed Leaf in practice  his rookie year before the season started? 

Seems they knew early on he was a dick.

Stupid move by Washington.  Cousins isn't elite, but in the right system, he could be very good.  Alex Smith is going to be a bad fit in Washington, worse than Cousins.  And older.  And more expensive.

Just like Brady would only be very good in any other system, the QB has to fit.  Cousins would probably be worse in Cleveland, he's not a do it all kind of QB.  He would be amazing in Dallas.  Really good in Minnesota.  But Smith will be bad in DC.

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I've been following Cleveland on the periphery as Kessler went there. (USC QB before Darnold).  I think Darnold is the real deal and seems like a good kid off the field.  Humble, blue collar family, public school, multisport kid... If he goes to Cleveland you will like the kid.

The prognosticators seem to think he's going there. I just think he's going to have a rough go for a year or two before he figures it out and I do believe he will.

I think Cleveland is a death sentence for a QB. 

• Heart 1

Kirk is from my area.  I've heard his dad preach; his father is a master of public speaking, and highly interesting.

He's one of the few football players I enjoy watching, and I'd welcome him being closer. The Redskins were the only team I rooted for in playoffs last year.