February Photos

Chris...

9 hours ago, pedalphile said:

Nice, looks like it's already spring somewhere. Do ducklings like goldfish btw?

Goldfish might be a little large for them so probably not. A bit confused about the goldfish subject. What looks like goldfish is actually oak leaves floating in the water. That is the shape of live oak and water oak leaves which is quite different from other oaks typically found up north.

11 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Goldfish might be a little large for them so probably not. A bit confused about the goldfish subject. What looks like goldfish is actually oak leaves floating in the water. That is the shape of live oak and water oak leaves which is quite different from other oaks typically found up north.

Sorry, I was just messing, I knew they were leaves, really, but not that they were oak leaves, as you say, a different shape than most oaks.

2 hours ago, pedalphile said:

Sorry, I was just messing, I knew they were leaves, really, but not that they were oak leaves, as you say, a different shape than most oaks.

That is actually the most prevalent shape in the south. The other major difference is that they fall in the spring as pushed out with new growth, while northern oaks fall in the fall so tree limbs don't have to support the weight of snow.

39 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

That is actually the most prevalent shape in the south. The other major difference is that they fall in the spring as pushed out with new growth, while northern oaks fall in the fall so tree limbs don't have to support the weight of snow.

Do they keep the leaves through winter even when mature? Because I know young (or small) beech do that, but when they've matured they drop them in fall, like regular deciduous trees.

Can we post videos or just pictures?

Having the team working on under the ice shoreline searches.  Under about a foot of ice and 100' from the hole.  The cloud of silt on the right at the start if from the previous divers.  Once in there the viz can go to zero, which is part of the training. I got out of there with the camera before that happened.  Just thought you may like to see something very few will ever experience.

00013.MTS

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Having the team working on under the ice shoreline searches.  Under about a foot of ice and 100' from the hole.  The cloud of silt on the right at the start if from the previous divers.  Once in there the viz can go to zero, which is part of the training. I got out of there with the camera before that happened.  Just thought you may like to see something very few will ever experience.

00013.MTS

Not yet.  The next upgrade offer native video playing.  Not sure what an MTS file is, can you upload it to YouTube?  Or upload an mpg here?  Then people can download it and play it.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Not yet.  The next upgrade offer native video playing.  Not sure what an MTS file is, can you upload it to YouTube?  Or upload an mpg here?  Then people can download it and play it.

It is a .mts file as I had recorded in AVCHD and had not rendered it yet.  Never mind, just delete my posted file I guess.  I will try again later

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Amazing how western PA is so snow covered and Eastern PA is snot.

I was hoping ours would melt off so I could get more firewood moved. I'd like to get it out of the driveway but I'm not digging it out of he snow. I have lots in the shed and I have a dog kennel full of firewood as well.

On 2018-02-10 at 11:28 AM, Zephyr said:

00013.MTS

I would love to see that. 

On 2/10/2018 at 10:25 PM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Amazing how western PA is so snow covered and Eastern PA is snot.

My cousin in Kingston, a suburb of Wilkes-Barre in NE PA, got enough snow she's pissed off at the neighbor's 20 year-old, who she allowed to share her two-car garage with her as long as he mowed her lawn as needed and in the winter shoveled the garageway and her sidewalks and porch when it snowed.  He hasn't shoveled this time: probably due to a lazy weekend.