Are tacos a perfect food?

Randomguy

1 hour ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

Discus.  (not "soft tacos", everybody know that those aren't really tacos).

WTF are you talking about?!?!  Agreed that tacos are near the perfect food and only Gringos eat them with crunchy shells. 

Tacos with hard shells is like putting meat in chilli...  wait what?!?!?

• Heart 3

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

WTF are you talking about?!?!  Agreed that tacos are near the perfect food and only Gringos eat them with crunchy shells. 

Tacos with hard shells is like putting meat in chilli...  wait what?!?!?

If they don't have crunchy shells, they are just open-faced mini burritos. 

You have to admit, the gringos know a lot more about mexican food than the mexicans.  It is a good thing I am here to point that out.  :whistle:

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...a hand made soft taco heated in a skillet with a touch of oil to crisp it a little is so far superior to those stupid crunchy taco shells all you gringos buy and eat, that you don't deserve to eat them.

Actually, I get super yummy tacos at the fair made just like this. I have many throughout the week they are here. Mmmmmm

1 minute ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

Maybe.  Those guys know how to market, and I don't care if the crunchy taco and tostada is the General Tso's of mexican food, they are damn good!

Then Pizza Hut must be the all end all of pizza for you then. Or is it Papa John's?

I'm sure many of you can figure SoCal has good Mexican food.  The good ones are the little shops in shitty neighborhoods with a line stretching around the corner... We go to a place after softball games that is like this.  We are generally the only English speakers there and the food is authentic and served on paper plates.  Tacos are only served in small corn tortillas that are lightly grilled, burritos and tostadas.  It's all about the meat and salsas, they don't load up on cheese, lettuce & tomato.   And the food is cheap... I can feed 5 for around $30 and everyone walks out full.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Then Pizza Hut must be the all end all of pizza for you then. Or is it Papa John's?

No, your assumption is all wrong.  The best pizza is not the Napoli-style pizza, although that is very close.  The best pizza is the New York style pizza, but we have to soundly reject the thought that the only good food is in the exact style of the place that originated the style.  The thing you can say about that is 'authentic' rather than 'best', although they sometimes are the best (and sometimes far from it).

2 hours ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

No, your assumption is all wrong.  The best pizza is not the Napoli-style pizza, although that is very close.  The best pizza is the New York style pizza, but we have to soundly reject the thought that the only good food is in the exact style of the place that originated the style.  The thing you can say about that is 'authentic' rather than 'best', although they sometimes are the best (and sometimes far from it).

I'll give you that authentic is different from best and there is no way I can judge your value of best as you cant judge mine.

Do I eat fast food Tacos? Sure I do and they are good (Well Jack in the Box ones are gross). Personally I like Del Taco but that's a regional chain over Taco Bell. They have their place.  However, in my humble opinion, the flavor and quality of the meat with a fresh salsa of a giod local joint is far superior to a fast food chain.

But having said that... the best Mexican food I ever had came from Grandma Chunchi, a former SIL grandma.  OMG the woman could cook...

15 hours ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

I haven't found great tacos (or any mexican food) in NYC yet.  Some good mexican food, but not great.  

Stop out here the next time you are in the midwest. (Yes. That's an invitation!) We have a high concentration of Mexican and Central American immigrants in this area with lots of great mom and pop places! When our daughters moved to Arizona, their biggest disappointment was NOT finding better Mexican food than we already have here!

I have also developed a fondness for papusa! An immigrant friend opened a Salvadoran restaurant several years ago. My first exposure to papusa, fried plantain, etc. It was delicious, but there weren't enough people willing to try it back then. Now there is a Mexican place at the mall that serves papusa. There is a new papusa restaurant that opened on the other side of town. I'm hoping they have more Salvadoran items as well!

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Do I eat fast food Tacos? Sure I do and they are good (Well Jack in the Box ones are gross). Personally I like Del Taco but that's a regional chain over Taco Bell. They have their place.  However, in my humble opinion, the flavor and quality of the meat with a fresh salsa of a giod local joint is far superior to a fast food chain.

I wasn't talking about fast food tacos, just crunchy-shelled ones you make at home.  I can't remember the last time I had Del Taco ( at least a decade or two ago), but they did seem better than TB.

The best Mexican food I ever had was a little dive in Charlotte, and very close was a street cart in Tijuana.  I haven't had a good machaca burrito since I left SoCal, though.

1 minute ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

I wasn't talking about fast food tacos, just crunchy-shelled ones you make at home.  I can't remember the last time I had Del Taco ( at least a decade or two ago), but they did seem better than TB.

The best Mexican food I ever had was a little dive in Charlotte, and very close was a street cart in Tijuana.  I haven't had a good machaca burrito since I left SoCal, though.

I  relate crunchy with fast food as the "authentic" places don't serve them that way...  

Hmmmm Machaca... I also love lingua (tongue) tacos... Only find that meat in the good places.

We make meatless tacos with just some diced avocados mixed with chopped red onion, tomatoes, and cilantro. We use soft corn tortillas lightly grilled on the stove top....instant yumminess. I'm not fan of the crunchy variety; a messier eating experience and I prefer the taste of grilled corn tortillas.

4 hours ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

I have a feeling I have driven through there before for some reason, what is it best known for?

We are home of the Nebraska State Fair. Also Ground Zero for the Sandhills crane migration. Jane Goodall considers it the 2nd most important migration behind the African wildebeests. She come every year to watch. 

Birthplace of Henry Fonda. 

Hometown of Husker and 49ers great Tom Rathman.