The Bestest Comedy Movie Ever

Road Runner

Select just one, please.  My choice is Groundhog Day.

I know that some of you are somewhat mentally challenged and that you will say stupid things like, Dumb and Dumber, Airplane and Caddyshack.  I suppose that is to be expected from people who ride bicycles and wear lycra shorts, but anyone who doesn't recognize Groundhog Day as the best comedy of all time has my complete sympathy.   

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I know that some of you are somewhat mentally challenged and that you will say stupid things like, Dumb and Dumber, Airplane and Caddyshack.  I suppose that is to be expected from people who ride bicycles and wear lycra shorts, but anyone who doesn't recognize Groundhog Day as the best comedy of all time has my complete sympathy.   

You are senile.  GHD is a romantic comedy akin to Michael.  

• Heart 3
  • Whatever 1

5 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

For some reason, Planes, Trains and Automobiles and Animal House seem to be overlooked when we have one of these discussions.   :(

PT&A is good, but not top of the heap, which is a tie between airplane and caddy shack 

Also high up are Office Space and Spaceballs. 

Animal House didn't age well for me.  But it has some good points. 

• Heart 1

45 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Just reading the thread title, I did immediately think of Groundhog Day.  It is not the best - many are its equal - but you can be damn sure that if I flip to it on the Boob Tube, I stay on that channel. It is incredibly re-watchable.

Tom

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

You're trying to tell me there are movies that are funny?

There are silly movies like Airplane that are just a series of one-liner jokes.  Some here think that makes a great movie.   OTH, Groundhog Day is a very humorous film based on an uplifting story of a person who learns what it means to be human; to be a person of substance with care and feeling for other people and their lives.  .  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

There are silly movies like Airplane that are just a series of one-liner jokes.  Some here think that makes a great movie.   OTH, Groundhog Day is a very humorous film based on an uplifting story of a person who learns what it means to be human; to be a person of substance with care and feeling for other people and their lives.  .  

Tin Men tells a very human tale, with a lot of laughs.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Yeah, yeah. yeah. yeah.  It is a rom-com.

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1

Well, I just talked about this a couple weeks ago, so my vote for Airplane! probably won't surprise.  I just don't understand comments like "it's just a bunch of one-liners with no plot".  I love the subtle touches, like the prop-plane sound that's played every time you see the jet flying in the clouds (which I didn't pick up on for years).

Honorable mentions go to

Blazing Saddles
Caddyshack
Monty Python/Holy Grail
This Is Spinal Tap
(underrated?  no one else mentioned it)
Fletch

It may not hold up years down the road but I laughed my ass off at Superbad

Animal House is never as funny as it was when viewed in a dorm room.  And there are lines that I can't enjoy anymore, especially "The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female parrty guests.  We did.  <winks at Dean Wormer>"

and it's not really a comedy per se, but The Big Lebowski has some completely hilarious dialogue, especially Bridges/Goodman/Buscemi at the bowling alley.

In closing:  Groundhog Day is completely undone by Bill Murray's delivery of the "let's get married" line at the end.

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Not best evar but "This is 40" is worth watching.  Lots of laughs, especially the cycling stereotypes.  Crude language at times.  

My wife and I both love that one.  Melissa McCarthy steals the show with the outtake of the principal's office rant during the credits. (NSFW - language!)

I love watching people try not to laugh, and fail. :D