Mountains Of Misery in Virginia?

Razors Edge

Anybody done this ride? It seems a reasonable distance away, fairly challenging, and even tougher due to an "early" season date (May 27th).

My biggest issues would be the potential weather in late May and my fitness level in May.

Any thoughts?  Century is 10,000' climbing, double metric is 13,000+' climbing.

MoMProfile.thumb.JPG.e0ede8b64e2078bdc323ef3600c2934b.JPG

Tom

On 2/5/2018 at 11:45 PM, dennis said:

Looks beautiful. Do it. I bet you won't regret it. Use it as a motivator to start training and ride in less than perfect weather. May is not that early. You can do it. You can always do more than you think you are capable of. 

All true. You convinced me! Thanks!  Went with the "easier" century.  If all goes well, maybe next is the double metric.

MoMRegistration.thumb.JPG.7f772543de437d91f4d6c395d5c5b2ca.JPG

Tom

8 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Looks interesting.  Is there a profile that tells what the grade / distance of the climbs are?

They were in the link at the top, but if you dig down you get the Strava files for the Double Metric and the regular Century

MoM-JohnsCreek2.JPG.b20cf77e225c8408e9938eb0b2995915.JPG

MoM-JohnsCreek.JPG.2d12bf113e54f735eba240d8eb980e6c.JPG

MoM-FinalClimb2.JPG.854e2b78ba6385337c4afc49b64611ee.JPG

MoM-FinalClimb.JPG.b6141a2d8e13bdd66f57d587df79eb3b.JPG

Tom

16 minutes ago, dennis said:

I'm not much of a roadie and I have other plans that month. Still trying to figure out UT in March.

I wonder what the weather is in the Utah National Parks in March. Maybe a little chilly in the mornings for sure.

But if you do figure it out, let us hear about it (and post some pics and travel tips).

Tom

23 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I wonder what the weather is in the Utah National Parks in March. Maybe a little chilly in the mornings for sure.

But if you do figure it out, let us hear about it (and post some pics and travel tips).

Tom

By the end of March it should be dry and cool. Earlier is wet, summer is hot. April is probably the best month. We'll probably discuss some options this weekend. 

18 hours ago, Old#7 said:

Tom, what is your low gear? I'd like to try that but not with a 39/29 gear. 

I'm a compact double - 34/28.  Used to have a 36/27 that got me up and over everything, but man does that extra gear (and a half?) make me smile now.  Going from a 10sp (12-27) to an 11sp (11-28) set up gave me a little lower and a little higher even without the change from the 36 to the 34 little ring. I'm wondering when 12 speeds will be rolled out in Di2.

Your 39/29 isn't too different from my old 36/27!

Tom