peregrine

pedalphile

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

Cool...the eagles are popular to watch around here.

Yes, I have the Miles City site saved, just a nest of snow at the moment.

This peregrine pair are getting into their bonding and 'homemaking' a fair bit now. Also they stay around their site all year, not something that usually happens in the wild, so that's an interesting adaptation to 21st century urban living.

1 minute ago, shotgun said:

It's lunchtime and it's dark. WTF? I want to see peregrines. 

How inconvenient, but now you know how I feel when those lazy Miles City birds are still abed when I tune in :lol: daylight hours are currently approx 8am till 5pm GMT here, if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, donkpow said:

There is a lot of reconstruction going on in the background of the shot. It looks like some is of historic importance.

There is a lot of construction in town. Do you mean some of the nearby buildings look old? I doubt they'll be building anything of historic importance, that's for certain.

2 hours ago, pedalphile said:

There is a lot of construction in town. Do you mean some of the nearby buildings look old? I doubt they'll be building anything of historic importance, that's for certain.

The scaffolding around an older building. It looks like an important building.

I was babysitting my youngest nephew, Adam, when he was 4 in the summer of 2012, and took him to one of the four "pay-to-get-in" county parks where I have a Senior Citizen's lifetime Car Pass. It was Downs Park, on the Chesapeake Bay, halfway between Baltimore and Annapolis.

We walked the beach, looked at ships with binoculars, and then decided to go through the woods, which have exhibits every so often along the trails.

We reached a fork and Adam asked, "Which way do we go?"

I answered, "Whichever way you want."

He went left and soon got to the Peregrine Falcon exhibit.  He looked at the big bird and said, "I meant we should go the other way!"

Pardon the lo-res pics - I had a really cheap semi-smart phone then, but you can see he wasn't smiling and didn't want to look at the Falcon!

5aa035d2964d4_P071912_1448500px.jpg.b890b47943202c6c5fbe394cd0bc5600.jpgP071912_1449-crop.jpg.d8c09e954b85fc0b250c2bd2494eb0ab.jpg

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

We have a Red Tailed Hawk Nest Cam. I found the nest yesterday. When I walked by at lunchtime, mom and dad were out grocery shopping.

There are Peregrines nesting in Utica but I haven’t heard of any nesting here - although I did see one chasing a hawk about a month ago.

18 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

We have a Red Tailed Hawk Nest Cam. I found the nest yesterday. When I walked by at lunchtime, mom and dad were out grocery shopping.

There are Peregrines nesting in Utica but I haven’t heard of any nesting here - although I did see one chasing a hawk about a month ago.

The red tailed hawk chicks look well established and have a nice sunny day at the moment.

The nest cam on the peregrines is a great close up view but Shirley is well within the sharting range.

For the third consecutive year only three of the four eggs have hatched and one has not. But three healthy and thriving week old chicks now, cannot be bad.

btw earlier today I saw both the adult Miles City eagles and the chick, they are spectacular indeed, I saw one take flight and the branch was left swaying for a while.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

How is it something that beautiful starts out so butt-ugly? “Our” peregrines

“Our” Red Tailed Hawks are about ready to fledge

Butt ugly and showing their true prehistoric roots I'd say. I've been checking on the hawks and the Utica peres daily, as well as the Miles City eagles. It is great having all these webcams available.

• 2 weeks later...

There was (is?) a Peregrine Falcon nest near the top of Baltimore's tallest building that apparently feasted primarily on pigeons - too bad they can't breed a bird of prey that just likes rats!

I posted this somewhere before -maybe LF- but when my just-turned-10 nephew Adam was 4 in 2012, we went to Down's Park on the Chesapeake and took a walk through the woods, which has nature displays every so often.  At a fork in the path, I let Adam choose and we went left.  Soon after, we reached the Peregrine Falcon exhibit.  Adam -who you can see looks worried in the photo and is looking away, took one look at the big bird and said, "I meant we should go right at the fork."

937213939_P071912_1448500px.jpg.085a3f78de0e24f1a9516f58f53971b1.jpgP071912_1449-crop.jpg.4a09dd4d316dd4287b75139dc5485e7c.jpg