Man, Amazon is killing local busynesses

Ralphie

$95 to replace a car side mirror vs $15 with free shipping for an easily self-installable one from an Amazon seller.  Not apples to apples, but when I purchased the Amazon one, it asked if I wanted it installed.  They don;t miss a beat!

Also, it is aboot impossible to get a replacement screw ring for a Topeak Roadmorph pump, so I just ordered the mini version for $18.  No gauge though. :( Roadmorph makes a rebuild kit but they are aboot impossible to find.

21 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

$95 to replace a car side mirror vs $15 with free shipping for an easily self-installable one from an Amazon seller.  Not apples to apples, but when I purchased the Amazon one, it asked if I wanted it installed.  They don;t miss a beat!

Also, it is aboot impossible to get a replacement screw ring for a Topeak Roadmorph pump, so I just ordered the mini version for $18.  No gauge though. :( Roadmorph makes a rebuild kit but they are aboot impossible to find.

Did you contact Topeak?  I did when my pump was going and they sent the rebuild kit for free.

• Heart 1

Online has too many advantages over brick and mortar.  They are just a warehouse that can stock more stuff.  Their employees are more specialized.  In many cases they can get what you want because they know who else has it if they don't.  Face it.  The future is different from what you know today.  That's probably uncomfortable, but trust me, many of us have already seen changes that we thought were impossible during our lives.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Online has too many advantages over brick and mortar.  They are just a warehouse that can stock more stuff.  Their employees are more specialized.  In many cases they can get what you want because they know who else has it if they don't.  Face it.  The future is different from what you know today.  That's probably uncomfortable, but trust me, many of us have already seen changes that we thought were impossible during our lives.

Back in the day, a good parts man could save your bacon. 

8 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Back in the day, a good parts man could save your bacon. 

One of the skills that I provided to my company before retirement was the ability to find and buy things that most traditional sources (especially purchasing) thought impossible.  In the end they simply gave me a huge credit card and let me have at it for the development group.  My reputation became that if it doesn't exist maxx will have it on the loading dock tomorrow.

The development lab needed fast response, usually with small quantities and not so much in the way of certifications and paperwork as most of the work wasn't production.

I've been know to trade with pacific rim buyers for integrated circuits left on their reels leaders after they finished a production run just to get a few chips that had year long lead times.

With so many vendors online around the globe it's likely that somebody has what you need.  Google.......and some other specialty programs are your friend.

• Heart 1

...I just bought my new replacement Maytag clothes dryer online.  All of the larger retailers are now hip to the competition, and while Amazon sells them (listed by some independent businesses), I ended up ordering it from the Home Depot's online site, with free delivery, and offering a setup and haul away the old one option if you want it.

So instead of the old experience of visiting the various discount appliance purveyors locally, comparing prices and model numbers, and generally farting around for most of a Saturday picking out a new dryer, I was through with my comparison reviews and ordering in about 20 minutes. And it was on sale.  The delivery was on time as promised, a few days later, and I set it up myself.

I offered the delivery guys an extra 30 bucks to haul away the old water heater I just replaced, and they took it, saving me the trip to the transfer station and the fee there.

All in all, a much better shopping experience and Amazon free.  The justification Walmart gave for closing all those Sam's Clubs stores was to focus more on online marketing and sales. But I honestly can't picture ordering anything from Walmart online, because my experience with their stuff from buying it in their store up in Jackson (small town, so most stuff was a choice between Walmart or Kmart. The local business district was pretty well destroyed once those guys moved in,) was at best mixed in terms of quality.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

My reputation became that if it doesn't exist maxx will have it on the loading dock tomorrow.

I've been know to trade with pacific rim buyers for integrated circuits left on their reels leaders after they finished a production run just to get a few chips that had year long lead times.

It's too bad that Parr8 is out of the organ stealing transplant business.  With his skills and your contacts the two of you could have made a bunch o' money!

Well, I just made a Target run for a few items with my neighbor..and while we were there..I looked for bands like the ones I ordered on Amazon last Friday...They were $9 at Amazon and there were 5 in the set..granted I am using the strongest one...but I looked at Target and later at Dicks Sporting Goods...they both had a set of 3... light, medium and hard..both were more expensive than what I got on line.

5 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Did you need the whole mirror or just the glass. My relief operator clued me in to going to an auto glass place when my side mirror got smashed. I told them I didn’t have glass coverage. They installed new glass mirror for $20 cash. My relief operator said the place over by him only charged him $8.

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Did you need the whole mirror or just the glass. My relief operator clued me in to going to an auto glass place when my side mirror got smashed. I told them I didn’t have glass coverage. They installed new glass mirror for $20 cash. My relief operator said the place over by him only charged him $8.

Just the glass.  I am happy with the $15 with double sided tape in the kit.  Last time I had a local glass place cut it, for cheap also.  They said now they are not allowed to do that - I guess it was probably not a shatter-resistant mirror.

• Awesome 1