Have you ever, in your whole life, measured oatmeal or water when you made oatmeal?

Randomguy

3 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Just this morning in fact. I like a little bit more water than the directions say.

2 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

always. it's the key to consistency. 1 cup water to 1/2 cup oats. Cook 20 minutes.

My jaw is dropping here.  How hard is it?  You boil some water and then throw some oatmeal in.  If it is too thick, you add water.  Too thin, you boil off some excess or add more oatmeal.

Why dirty a measuring cup?

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

My jaw is dropping here.  How hard is it?  You boil some water and then throw some oatmeal in.  If it is too thick, you add water.  Too thin, you boil off some excess or add more oatmeal.

Why dirty a measuring cup?

What's dirty about water? You measure 1 cup and put the measuring cup away. Dry oats leave nothing behind. I only clean the pan spoon and bowl.

7 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

As a matter of fact, yes!  I found that Quaker Oats require a tad less water than storebrand for some odd reason.  I agree with ON7 and Hip  - you need a scoop anyway, and there is no cleanup required.

Scoop?  Geez, people, just free-form it, pour it out from the container, estimate!  Get out of your box, people, live a little!

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I would get the prepackaged oatmeal so it's already measured.  Like DH I used the same bowl so knew how much water to put in.  I would cook mine a minute in the microwave with water, add milk and stirr tthen nuke it another minute. 

That stuff is convenient, but I don't trust the sorcery of it all.  Plus, they add all kinds of sweeteners, I just add fruit and nothing else.

57 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

As a matter of fact, yes!  I found that Quaker Oats require a tad less water than storebrand for some odd reason.  I agree with ON7 and Hip  - you need a scoop anyway, and there is no cleanup required.

Moisture content and quality of the oats. Store brand oats are not as plump in the field. A lesser quality oat. Of coarse we are primarily talking about the endosperm.

74723849-anatomy-of-a-grain-cross-sectio

3 hours ago, pedalphile said:

I don’t measure it (I don’t call it oatmeal either, but that’s another story) but rice, that’s another thing, I allus measure or weigh the rice and water, for perfect result every time, whereas with porrage i’m Ok with a result that’s a tad either way.

I prefer porridge.  Porrage is for hoity toity folks. 

Nope. For years now I pour what looks like the same amount of oatmeal in my gravy bowl I use.  Add water until it looks about right.  Put it in the microwave for 3 minutes and 30 seconds, and Viola!  Ready to eat.  These are the Old Fashioned kind, not the instant.  I've never tried the other kind; steel cut? 

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Yes, I measure for oatmeal, or rice.  The amounts are far less intuitive that other things I feel more comfortably eyeballing.

I am getting used to eating oatmeal with only raisins as a sweetener (i.e. no sugar).

That's what I do with oatmeal. Add only raisins, cinnamon, and milk.

6 hours ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

Steel cut is a much longer, in the pan process. 

I think cooking any type in the pan produces tastier oatmeal.  The instant stuff tastes like ass either way, as compared with regular real oats.

...which sort do you prefer for oatmeal wrestling ? It seems to me that the old fashioned, rolled oats kind are far superior for this application.