Honing.

donkpow

I bought Stouffer's chipped beef and gravy. It comes in a kevlar bag. You put the stuff in the microwave to heat it up then you cut the bag and pour the stuff over toast. I had a heck of a time cutting the bag the last time. I figure I'll do a quick hone with a medium stone and see if the jagged edge does a better job of cutting the bag than a fine edge. Last time I spilled the stuff everywhere trying to get it open.

44 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I bought Stouffer's chipped beef and gravy. It comes in a kevlar bag. You put the stuff in the microwave to heat it up then you cut the bag and pour the stuff over toast. I had a heck of a time cutting the bag the last time. I figure I'll do a quick hone with a medium stone and see if the jagged edge does a better job of cutting the bag than a fine edge. Last time I spilled the stuff everywhere trying to get it open.

That's why they make kitchen scissors.

Oh, and for the Stouffers, just cut off the corner of the bag and then pick it up by the end corner and one of the side corners.  No runs, drips or scalded fingers.  Good stuff.  It reminds me of Navy food.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

That's why they make kitchen scissors.

Oh, and for the Stouffers, just cut off the corner of the bag and then pick it up by the end corner and one of the side corners.  No runs, drips or scalded fingers.  Good stuff.  It reminds me of Navy food.

Yep, I got through it. I need to get some kitchen scissors. I've got a set of shears I use for most things but I hate to get them messy. A good set of kitchen scissors can be disassembled easily for cleaning.

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

Yep, I got through it. I need to get some kitchen scissors. I've got a set of shears I use for most things but I hate to get them messy. A good set of kitchen scissors can be disassembled easily for cleaning.

You will probably cringe, but we use what ever pair of scissors is handy.  They at one time may have been used to shear a goat or sheep.  They all can be washed in soap and water and taken apart if needed.  We like Fiskars and have them sharpened frequently. Damn, I am beginning to sound and act more like a sheep herder every day. :whistle:

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

SOS

The navy usually makes something more like biscuit gravy than creamed chipped beef.  They call it creamed dried beef.  When we were working hard enough to burn the calories a days breakfast was scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, toast and then a quick duck down the line to get home fries before coming back to get the creamed dried beef on top of the home fries.  Coffee, jelly, butter and sometimes seconds would prepare one for the day.

Maybe I could have dealt with a garbage plate special.

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, donkpow said:

That's why they make trash cans.  

1 minute ago, 12string said:

That's why they make trash cans.  

Well, in my own defense, I hadn't used one of those bags for a couple of decades. I used to buy vegetables in them. You could just throw the bag in boiling water and they would cook. Plus, you didn't have to wash the pan. :)