Found The Receipt

Razors Edge

22 minutes ago, donkpow said:

What's that in today's dollars?

Probably a grand, but nowadays, I don't think it would hold up against an entry level MTB from Trek.  No suspension - front or back. Seven speeds. Rim brakes. CrMo.  It's a great commuter, though, from a beat the crap out of it and it keeps on trucking!

Oddly, my front shifter (triple) just started acting up. It dropped down to the middle chainring on its own, and now it only moves between the little and middle rings.  I gave it a lot of lubing his weekend, so we'll see if it sorts itself out.

Tom

10 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Probably a grand, but nowadays, I don't think it would hold up against an entry level MTB from Trek.  No suspension - front or back. Seven speeds. Rim brakes. CrMo.  It's a great commuter, though, from a beat the crap out of it and it keeps on trucking!

Oddly, my front shifter (triple) just started acting up. It dropped down to the middle chainring on its own, and now it only moves between the little and middle rings.  I gave it a lot of lubing his weekend, so we'll see if it sorts itself out.

Tom

Check the cable housing for splits.

3 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Check the cable housing for splits.

Why wouldn't that affect all front shifting?  I will give it an eye-ball, though just in case.

In any case, here is the run-down of the problem: they are thumb shifters and when I push in the lever to go from middle to big ring there is zero resistance until the final 5% of travel and you see the FD move that little bit when it "catches" but not enough to push the chain onto the big ring. In fact, not enough to even get the chain making missed-shift noises. I can give the cable a pull with my hand to get the FD to fully move and hence a successful up shift, BUT as soon as I let the cable go, it is, obviously, back to the middle ring.  I feel like the pawls & ratchet in the thumb shifter aren't engaging at all, but that seems a little odd since they do engage for shifts from the small to the middle ring.

I have seen this behavior on the RD in COLD weather (below freezing), but usually just moving the lever back and forth a bit eventually "warms" the cable/pawls and gets it working again.

Tom

37 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I've seen this problem in Shimano shifters. It may help to pull the cover off the shifter, clean and lube it.

That is RISKY behavior.  If you remove that bolt too quickly, the pod almost explodes and I doubt I would ever get it back together properly!

Tom

...flushing out gummed up brifters and shifters is actually one of the few things WD 40 is good for.  

You hang whatever it is you want to ungummify over a bucket, and squirt half a can of the stuff through it while you work it back and forth through the gears.

Then you have to relubricate whatever it is with a light oil.

17 hours ago, donkpow said:

Maybe squirt the crap out of it with spray cleaner/lube?

Yesterday after my ride home, I did squirt the crap out of it with my combo cleaner/lube!!!!!! Then, I worked the heck out of the lever, and got some results. I let it sit overnight, and for the ride in this morning, I was able to shift into MY BIG RING!!!!

So, all is well in America again.

Tom