New job day 2

Indy

1 minute ago, Indy said:

And my boss is off today.  Didn't really give me anything to do, don't have a badge so can't leave the place since I can't get back in and I know no one.  Man this is fun shit right here.

Also really great when the job you accepted description seems to be completely different than the job you seem to be expected to do.  Oh well, at least they are paying me well to do absolutely nothing.

At least you are not having to post here for free anymore, so there is that.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Interviewed a guy yesterday for a position here.  Seemed nice, but a bit fidgety. He arrived on-time and in a suit, so he gets bonus points. Only deduction I gave was his resume went all the way back to his college internship (2001), but, on the plus side, it was a cool internship with an MLB team scouting group.

I doubt he has any idea WTF he will actually be doing day-to-day if he comes on board. :D

Tom

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Only day 2.  No doubt things will ramp up and change over the next week.  Especially, when you can show them your skills.

Hope so, still nervous as this is entirely new to me.  Sounds like some how I ended up in Product Engineering when I was told it was testing position. 

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Didn't really give me anything to do, don't have a badge so can't leave the place since I can't get back in and I know no one.  Man this is fun shit right here.

Also really great when the job you accepted description seems to be completely different than the job you seem to be expected to do.

I've never started a new job where the company had its act so well together that they could fully occupy my time and attention for the first few days, let alone the first couple weeks.  For people who prefer to be productive and busy, like you, Indy, it's very frustrating to wait around while others find the time to help you get up to speed.

Regarding what the job description vs. the job expectations - I suspect you may be seeing the expectations that were set up by the last person to hold that position; the interpretation that the last person put to that particular job description.  Most people don't remember the job description, they just remember what the last guy always did.

So you may have to settle into doing a job that was defined by the last guy, while you work a little bit every day to bring the work you actually do back around to what the job description said.  Or better yet, to reset everybody's expectations on what you believe the job should be.  In such a case, I would suggest it would be better to make changes with little ripples in surface of the company culture rather tidal waves. 

• Heart 2

14 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

It took nearly a month before they got me a laptop, proper software, and needed network clearances before I could start being productive. 

Okay, you got me beat.  They had a computer for me on the first day. 

• Heart 2

41 minutes ago, Indy said:

Okay, you got me beat.  They had a computer for me on the first day. 

The computer is always the easy part!  The "proper software and needed network clearances" is where the process slows down.

A lot of times, we have to juggle licenses around, and for different internal sites, there are different admins who then need to know the new guy needs access. Then the new guy gets "read-only" and doesn't know he needs full rights, and the admin is out of town, and then yada yada yada.

Tom