Little Things at Work That Make You Happy.

Parr8hed

I have done a lot of things.  I have put needles and tubes in a lot of places.  Necks, veins, arteries, the femoral and jugular veins and arteries.  NG tubes, etc, etc, etc.

The one thing that makes me happy is doing TB skin tests.  Something about using a small needle just under the skin to create the perfect little "bleb" just makes me happy.

Also cannulating new dialysis fistulas and grafts for the very first time.  I LOVE that.  It's like fresh virgin material.  Hasn't been scarred up yet.  Smooth like buttah.  

Today I cannulated a brand new graft and gave 2 PPD (TB skin tests).  It's the little things.  

• Haha 1

Thanks, Parr8hed, for another one of your topics that promotes thinking deeply about things we should think deeply about but often do not!

What I miss in retirement is doing a good job and being recognized for it as well as recognizing others for good work and cheering them on.

There was a Jaycees saying when I was 35 and under and in the Jaycees that 15% of the world goes to bed each night hungry for food and most of the other 85% goes to bed hungry for recognition.  The Jaycees gave out awards for almost any minor accomplishment.  At an early point in my Jaycees membership, I was so cynical about it that I asked our Chapter President if there was going to be an award for not farting during our meetings. But I soon come to believe in "stroking your members' self esteem." It's a positive thing if not taken too far!

A month or so ago in chess, Team USA Southeast recognized me for taking an early lead, winning my first five games (six as of now), in THE major intra-team tournament. That's the first time I've had my ego stroked for anything important to me in a while and I was surprised at how good it made me feel. I think I should make a bigger effort to praise my friends and relatives in the future and recommend it to all:

5a8346170af81_TeamRecognition2017_12_17.JPG.0c776f47bab4534560b010bf2b51fdd9.JPG

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I have done a lot of things.  I have put needles and tubes in a lot of places.  Necks, veins, arteries, the femoral and jugular veins and arteries.  NG tubes, etc, etc, etc.

The one thing that makes me happy is doing TB skin tests.  Something about using a small needle just under the skin to create the perfect little "bleb" just makes me happy.

Also cannulating new dialysis fistulas and grafts for the very first time.  I LOVE that.  It's like fresh virgin material.  Hasn't been scarred up yet.  Smooth like buttah.  

Today I cannulated a brand new graft and gave 2 PPD (TB skin tests).  It's the little things.  

Do you want a little Chianti with that? :) 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A squeaker landing is nice being that is how the uninformed judge our work. 

I prefer to give high marks to pilots who manage difficult things like those from Air Transat Flight 236 of August 24, 2001.  Not an impossible thing, just very professional and skilled.

Now that was a landing to applaud for.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I prefer to give high marks to pilots who manage difficult things like those from Air Transat Flight 236 of August 24, 2001.  Not an impossible thing, just very professional and skilled.

Now that was a landing to applaud for.

But maxx, they didn't analyze the issue at all correctly.  They transferred the fuel into the leak.  Maintenance error followed by a crew screw up but excellent decision making once they had no choice. :)  I will give them an A for aircraft handling though. 

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

But maxx, they didn't analyze the issue at all correctly.  They transferred the fuel into the leak.  Maintenance error followed by a crew screw up but excellent decision making once they had no choice. :)  I will give them an A for aircraft handling though. 

This is true. People do not always solve problems quickly.

*Free lunch. Which is rare. Tomorrow if we wear red or pink for Valentine's Day, we get a free pizza slice.

*Getting paid, while still terminated and doing backfilling work for someone who just retired.  

*Getting thx from clients.

*Work colleagues who get excited to want to show me what they finally managed with design as a solution. 

• Heart 1