Really CBC?

Wilbur

It used to be about sports.  Then it became a time to broadcast about the athletes.  Now it's about causes.  

I loved the competition the last few nights - women's snowboarding, women's half-pipe, men's half pipe, men's speed skating - Great athletes doing great things. 

Complaining about not getting to carry the flag, disagreements with a Vice President over sexual values, old harassment cases, Brennan and her Pinkpussy Hat comments.  It will never be about the sports again.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Doing an interview with a male figure skater because....

..wait for it...

..he is openly gay.  :o

lol

It is SHOCKING to believe that it took until 2018(!!!!) for some Americans to accept that someone is openly gay. Sure, many still wish he stayed in the closet, or wasn't allowed to participate, or got a good dose of gay-fixing treatment, or just kept his big gay mouth shut, but that's not how it works anymore. :cheerleader:

So oddly, and even sadly, it is news in 2018 when a ice skater is openly gay. Shocking, eh?

Tom

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It is SHOCKING to believe that it took until 2018(!!!!) for some Americans to accept that someone is openly gay. Sure, many still wish he stayed in the closet, or wasn't allowed to participate, or got a good dose of gay-fixing treatment, or just kept his big gay mouth shut, but that's not how it works anymore. :cheerleader:

So oddly, and even sadly, it is news in 2018 when a ice skater is openly gay. Shocking, eh?

Tom

I thought this stopped being shocking when Johnny skated.  I'm just tired that social issues have to be slammed in our face because there is an Olympic platform.

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I thought this stopped being shocking when Johnny skated.  I'm just tired that social issues have to be slammed in our face because there is an Olympic platform.

It is quite shocking that Johnny couldn't even be open about his sexuality!  Imagine if he had felt he could speak openly about all wonderful areas of his life instead of changing the subject or never having the subject broached.

Did we see any cutaways to his spouse/SO during his performances? I really don't remember. 

Tom

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It is quite shocking that Johnny couldn't even be open about his sexuality!  Imagine if he had felt he could speak openly about all wonderful areas of his life instead of changing the subject or never having the subject broached.

Did we see any cutaways to his spouse/SO during his performances? I really don't remember. 

Tom

My favourite cutaways during “sports” coverage is during darts: those wives and girlfriends really live through every arrow.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

Why would it be important to discuss Johnny's sexual preferences when he skated? No one doubted he was gay. I don't recall anyone giving a sheot about it. They just cared about whether he could hit his quadruple axel or whatever in his long program. I don't recall anyone caring about Tara's sexual preferences needing to be discussed either, whatever they are. They're ice skaters, not sexual preference advocates.

• Awesome 1

Just now, Ltdskilz said:

Why would it be important to discuss Johnny's sexual preferences when he skated? No one doubted he was gay. I don't recall anyone giving a sheot about it. They just cared about whether he could hit his quadruple axel or whatever in his long program. I don't recall anyone caring about Tara's sexual preferences needing to be discussed either, whatever they are. They're ice skaters, not sexual preference advocates.

Thank you.  

1 minute ago, Ltdskilz said:

When he skated???? Hopefully they speak about the performance! I asked about the cutaway shots to his spouse/SO during his performances. I'm used to seeing those when I watch sports. I don't want to see it or give a crap if I see it, but I know I often do see it. I just can't say I remember seeing any for Johnny.  

Tom

39 minutes ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

I don't give a shit about the olympics this year, and snowboarding (or anything that has to be judged for aesthetic standards) is not a sport, no matter how many triple jerk-offs you can do in the air.

Well, now, I just watched a roller derby snowboarding downhill that was very, very entertaining.  Free for all w/ wipe outs.  Way better than that track and field crap.  But honestly, dear sir, how you can minimize triple air jerk-offs is incomprehensible.  I incorrectly pegged you for a triple jerk-off lover.  Pardon.

13 hours ago, Ltdskilz said:

You're bang on with all of this, but it describes an ideal world we may 1 day attain, that currently we're way short of.

Incidentally, what is the level of open gayness in NFL? In soccer I can tell you it is practically impossible to spot, rugby only slightly better.

5 hours ago, dotman17 said:

Well, now, I just watched a roller derby snowboarding downhill that was very, very entertaining.  Free for all w/ wipe outs.  Way better than that track and field crap.  But honestly, dear sir, how you can minimize triple air jerk-offs is incomprehensible.  I incorrectly pegged you for a triple jerk-off lover.  Pardon.

It may be hard to do the stuff they do, but that does not make it sport.  The triple jerk-off mid-air is an activity with some athletic component, but it is just an activity or hobby-level stuff.  Just a glorified dog show on a snowboard or skates or whatnot, that you gotta "look" a certain way when doing it invalidates the whole concept of it being a bonerfied bonafide sport.

11 minutes ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

It may be hard to do the stuff they do, but that does not make it sport.  The triple jerk-off mid-air is an activity with some athletic component, but it is just an activity or hobby-level stuff.  Just a glorified dog show on a snowboard or skates or whatnot, that you gotta "look" a certain way when doing it invalidates the whole concept of it being a bonerfied bonafide sport.

Every dog does have his day and you are spot on with this.

6 hours ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

I don't give a shit about the olympics this year, and snowboarding (or anything that has to be judged for aesthetic standards) is not a sport, no matter how many triple jerk-offs you can do in the air.

So, big air boarding is not sport? How about moguls? I think the fact that figure skaters are so high calibre that they make it look non-sporting is a testament to the athletes.  I have played enough hockey and spent enough time on skates to know a figure skater/ ice dancer etc is far more athletic than me. 

Curling, another story and not a judged event.  I view it as a strategic pastime. Like cold weather, slippery chess. 

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

So, big air boarding is not sport? How about moguls? I think the fact that figure skaters are so high calibre that they make it look non-sporting is a testament to the athletes.  I have played enough hockey and spent enough time on skates to know a figure skater/ ice dancer etc is far more athletic than me. 

Those ice skaters -- they're the real deal.  Gymnasts with skates.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

So, big air boarding is not sport?

Not at all.  Unless you do it measurably faster, measurably farther, or measurably more powerfully, or score more points that need not be judged, it is not sport.  Period.  The end.  The people doing it are athletic, they have immense skill and drive, but they are not involved in a sport in any meaningful way. 

Figure skating?  Sure, I dig the chicks and perv on them regularly, and I am also impressed with what they are able to do.  That said, speed skating is a sport, hockey is a sport, not a chance in hell that figure skating is really a sport, as cool as it is. 

1 minute ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

Not at all.  Unless you do it measurably faster, measurably farther, or measurably more powerfully, or score more points that need not be judged, it is not sport.  Period.  The end.  The people doing it are athletic, they have immense skill and drive, but they are not involved in a sport in any meaningful way. 

Figure skating?  Sure, I dig the chicks and perv on them regularly, and I am also impressed with what they are able to do.  That said, speed skating is a sport, hockey is a sport, not a chance in hell that figure skating is really a sport, as cool as it is. 

I dunno man.  Sliding around and spinning while holding a chick over your head with one arm is pretty darn athletic.