I just ordered a couple of rims that cost 65 bucks apiece.

Page Turner

...that's the most money I have ever paid for a bike rim in my entire lifetime, ever.:o

They look pretty nice, though, so here's hoping they work out.  I'm usually the guy who orders the Sun rims because they're cheaper.

This time I went with these from H + Sons:  https://www.retro-gression.com/products/h-son-tb14-rim

16 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...that's the most money I have ever paid for a bike rim in my entire lifetime, ever.:o

They look pretty nice, though, so here's hoping they work out.  I'm usually the guy who orders the Sun rims because they're cheaper.

This time I went with these from H + Sons:  https://www.retro-gression.com/products/h-son-tb14-rim

I've never really thought about the "rim" as its own piece to be ordered, so really have never spent a whole lot of thought on the cost of a rim.  Generally, I'm a "pre-built" wheel sort of person, and the two wheels that have been "built" for me have been a Mavic Ksyrium rim replacement (stress fractures at nipple area) and a regular 404 Zipp built up with a Powertap hub.  Both wheel builds are still going strong (the Zipp has become a yea-round wheel).

Did you have the hub already? How about the spokes? I would assume you probably have the hub and are going for a relatively period-specific look, but I'd think you would need new spokes for sure. Did you go silver & 36h???

Tom

...I have that project bike from Carlton, the Flyer, that came with a very nice set of wheels built with high flange Campy hubs, but were built with 27" rims with almost nothing for a bead hook. If I could put Panaracer tyres on them and pump them to full pressure, I'd use them.  Unfortunately, they blow off the rim at full pressure and ruin a perfectly good inner tube.:angry:

So these will probably go on those hubs, using those spokes, cut and rolled shorter with the Phil Wood spoke machine over at the bike co-op.  They are 36 hole and silver, but I thnik they might be polished and anodized for that kind of money.

46 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I've never really thought about the "rim" as its own piece to be ordered, so really have never spent a whole lot of thought on the cost of a rim.  Generally, I'm a "pre-built" wheel sort of person...

...if you want to fool around with old bikes, building your own wheels, while not usually as cheap as prebuilt, is the only way to get what you want and need.

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...I have that project bike from Carlton, the Flyer, that came with a very nice set of wheels built with high flange Campy hubs, but were built with 27" rims with almost nothing for a bead hook. If I could put Panaracer tyres on them and pump them to full pressure, I'd use them.  Unfortunately, they blow off the rim at full pressure and ruin a perfectly good inner tube.:angry:

So these will probably go on those hubs, using those spokes, cut and rolled shorter with the Phil Wood spoke machine over at the bike co-op.  They are 36 hole and silver, but I thnik they might be polished and anodized for that kind of money.

The co-op I was working with has a bunch of 27" non-hook bead rims. I scrapped twice as many as I kept. No way to get high pressure tires to hold. Maybe glue on.