Leaving on a jet plane.....

Zephyr

26 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Is she your only child?  She's probably proud to have a father to do the work that you do.  

May she always learn happily and be always safe.

She is daughter 2. The oldest girl works in edmonton at the WEM aquarium, and the youngest, the only boy is in school (UVic) doing 4th year mech eng

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Is she going to change her name to Sheila so she fits in with the Australian culture?

Zephyr's going to have to put another monitor on his desk upside down so he can keep in touch with Skype although I'd probably recommend Facebook messenger for free communications.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

She's very pretty.  

I can't imagine what you are going through.  I can't think about Emmy leaving me.:(

I know what you mean. My family has lived in the same small area since the late 1600's, and my father released me with his blessing and support to seek my own adventure in what has turned out to be(so far) a pretty awesome life. It would be hypocritical of me to not do the same for my kids.

Plus she is a strong personality, she would go anyway. 

• Heart 2

18 minutes ago, Kirby said:

What is she going to study (and if puppy is staying, will we get more pictures?  :nodhead:  )

She is taking a course in international business. She wants to work in the live cattle export industry.

No puppy pics. Puppy is staying behind with the boyfriend who bought her the dog, (hoping the dog would get her to stay)

3 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I know what you mean. My family has lived in the same small area since the late 1600's, and my father released me with his blessing and support to seek my own adventure in what has turned out to be(so far) a pretty awesome life. It would be hypocritical of me to not do the same for my kids.

Plus she is a strong personality, she would go anyway. 

Well of course that is the same for me.  I have no doubt that my Navy days freaked my parents out.  I want my kids to stay here local, stay safe and not do anything like what I did.  But that's very hypocritical  as well.  

• Heart 1

Neither of my kids live close while most of my extended family still in the same city I grew up in. Part of it is due to when I was in the military, moving every three years - including overseas, kids never near grandparents so was a major trip. Son move and settled in CT and our 'retirement plan' after daughter finished college and settled to move somewhere 1 day drive between the two - perhaps NC or something. Daughter decided to move, marry and settle in Switzerland. Now the retirement plan is where are the best International flights as we a re forced to go to Switzerland for a couple weeks every year. Child care shuts down nationwide for a month for 'summer vacation' so we have to go play grandparents as she can't take time off from her research as it is the prime time in the field for gathering samples.

• Heart 1

Now that I think of it, while my daughter looked young, she had just completed her PhD. We accompanied her to the airport as the was moving to Switzerland. When checking in the baggage, the agent saw us and gave us a pass to the gate so we could check through TSA and accompany all the way to the gate until she boarded. That was a nice gesture I didn't even know was possible.

• Heart 1

After college oldest son spent 5 years in Japan teaching then back to the US for a couple then on to Malaysia working for the government teaching teachers, now in Thailand.  Many of the teaching jobs have dried up as wages dropped in that business.  He currently travels to Macau for the occasional poker tournament and vacations in Australia and Vietnam.  He's still hoping that a job opening comes up in Japan.

He comes home to visit occasionally but we quickly move back to the 12 time zone separation.  :whistle:

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Couch_Incident said:

I might have missed it but are you going to take care of her pup?

Anywho, your daughter is totally kick ass!  I wish her safe travels.

Couch

Thanks Couch.  No, the dog is not staying with us.  She is a cattle dog and is staying in farm country where she'll be happy