I never know what to say

Airehead

Finally finished my staff letter and also one for the website for parents and community members

First sentence to staff---Wednesday’s horrific shooting at a high school in southern Florida was tragic and deeply troubling for those involved and for the entire country.  Our thoughts are with this grieving community.

Last sentence for the blog- It is so unfortunate that in today’s society we even have to think about such things, but it is a reality.  Know that we plan, we drill, we review and we are aware. Our kids are special not because of their needs but because of who they are and we’re committed to doing our best to keep them safe. 

I am not sure how many more times I can write these letters.  I had lots of trouble sleeping last night.  I really can't keep them safe.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 4

I think you said it very well.

As far as keeping them safe, you are doing that. 

If you imagine all the places your students might be if they weren't at your school, I think you might find you and your staff keep them quite safe.  If you consider all the planning and preparation you and your staff do for all sorts of contingencies, I'd hope you might think your students are more safe than they are at risk.

• Heart 1

I was talking with the CEO of a major airline today who admitted he was scared for the industry with the current pilot shortage and lack of experience.  He said almost the same about passengers.  He really can't keep them safe and show a profit for shareholders. Sometimes reality is very sobering. 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

...Our kids are special not because of their needs but because of who they are and we’re committed to doing our best to keep them safe.

I am not sure how many more times I can write these letters.  I had lots of trouble sleeping last night.  I really can't keep them safe.

You can't keep them safe, in part because we live in a society where you're not considered old enough to handle alcoholic beverages and there are zero-tolerance laws for underage drinking but you can legally buy weapons of mass destruction.

I don't want to turn this into a political argument over whether or not that is the right or wrong thing to be legal, I'm just stating a fact.

We can only do our best in the circumstances.  I pained me when, in a significantly above average income area's public school where I taught and coached for many years, that our society had descended to the point where we had to resort to secret code words being broadcast on the intercom like, "Teachers are reminded to bring their Code Blue folders to today's faculty meeting," which meant, "There's a nut loose with a gun in the building or on the grounds: lock your room's doors and move your kids away from windows."

Try keeping teens from having to use the lavatory for a couple hours in those situations or telling them they can't leave my classroom when school is over - especially when some of them have an after-school job (fast-food, restaurant, hardware store, etc.) and they need to start work in half an hour.

Today, teacher's in good areas are taught to stand sideways to present less of a target, how to talk to gunmen, etc.   All of the schools in our county have an armed police presence in the building all or part of the day.

Yet, America's laws say they'll get the teacher fired and stripped of his teaching certificate if he restrains a former student who has been legally banned -by court order-  from the school building, yet is observed inside the building and there's a good chance he has a gun.  I was personally standing and blocking one hallway from such a criminal along with five other large teachers and administrators who had him boxed-in: the police had been called and we were legally allowed to do NOTHING to stop him from leaving despite the fact it would have been so easy to do so.  He walked past me and laughed as he did it because he knew the drill.

We've had 18 school shooting incidents this year: teaching is becoming a dangerous profession today, let alone being a student.

The Florida mass murderer probably knew that even if he was seen and ID'd by those who knew he was banned, they were allowed to do NOTHING by America's courts and parents.

So don't get too down about not being able to protect the kids: there are major roadblocks in the way that America will not change.  Educators have to deal with it as best they can -SILENTLY- because there's also a section in each teacher's contract that says they can be fired for bringing unwanted attention to the school system and some member of the board is likely to have your number if you speak out.  I've seen it happen over trivial things.  I would NOT have the courage to post this message if I was not retired!

• Awesome 1

Aire, you can only do your job the best you can, utilizing the resources you are provided.  I'm sure you already are.  There are people better equipped than you to put the processes and procedures in place that you're certainly implementing.  They do their job and you do your job.  Will it always be enough? I pray that you never have to find out.

I serve as a team leader at our church in our Kids Ministry.  In a sense, during a service, I have some of the same responsibilities as you do during the day.  As part of my service, I am responsible for the direction of classroom leaders and the safety of the kids in attendance (We've haven't lost one yet).  Typically over 200 kids at a time (infants thru 5th graders) spread over 2 wings of a very open facility in an environment that has also been targeted.  We have never had a active shooter on our church campus.  We have the process and procedures in place to deal with it the best we can.  We have had security experts help - we have leaned on the experience of others - but it will never be enough.  Our church has been ministry partners with New Live Church in Colorado Springs since before someone entered their building a the end of a service and shot the place up - one of the dead being the daughter of the Senior Pastor.  It hurts - It hurts even more when it targets people you partner with.

All you can do is do your job and what little I know about you, you are doing it with excellence.

I admire how well you expressed your thoughts and how much you care about your kids and staff, Aire.  But you said it correctly, you are doing your best.  Unfortunately there are no guarantees in life - whether it comes to the flu, traffic safety on the way to school or incomprehensible violence.  But you and your staff do their best every day and truly care, and not only is that all anyone can ask, it's actually quite a lot.

14 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I was talking with the CEO of a major airline today who admitted he was scared for the industry with the current pilot shortage and lack of experience.  He said almost the same about passengers.  He really can't keep them safe and show a profit for shareholders. Sometimes reality is very sobering. 

...I KNEW they were lying to me about how safe it is to fly. :angry: It's a darn good thing I don't want to go anywhere.