Cooking

Wilbur

I guess you would call it.....Fusion  :D  a bit of both  

Some old favorites or comfort food and then the new stuff...way more veggies than carbs or meat...way less beef over all...and I am cooking for 1....mom was cooking for a family that included my grandfather...meat and potatoes was a must at least a couple times a week...  I have way more choices with availability and fewer restrictions based on who is eating.

About 30% is heritage cooking and rest is fusion or pure something else.  I learned a long time ago that what mother cooked was healthy, simple and easy to cook. Some of the food is Chinese comfort food to me  when I'm tired, sick or just lazy.  That's why it's stuck in my head all these years.

Did blog about my family cuisine background and its legacy on familial health. I do consider what I ate and learned about heritage cooking and my foundation for good health from babyhood onward, is an enormous legacy / gift from mother.

• Awesome 1

Mostly new recipes and mostly from cookbooks. I like a good cookbook. Grabbing recipes from the internet seems so random. I've done it, but I'd rather see a theme. I like the Feed Zone cookbooks quite a bit. Lately I've been dipping into the Chowgirls cookbook and I just got the New Camp Cookbook. The flank steak with chimichurri was good. 

• Awesome 1

A comment by @Longjohn brought me back here. We were served lots of vegetables when we were kids. Many fresh from the garden. There was very little processed foods in our diet. Yes, meat was fat but portions were small. Like we had chili mac but the hamburger was definitely the least part of the dish. I think that basic mix has stayed with me. A po' boy diet but pretty healthy.

• Awesome 2

22 minutes ago, dennis said:

Mostly new recipes and mostly from cookbooks. I like a good cookbook. Grabbing recipes from the internet seems so random. I've done it, but I'd rather see a theme. I like the Feed Zone cookbooks quite a bit. Lately I've been dipping into the Chowgirls cookbook and I just got the New Camp Cookbook. The flank steak with chimichurri was good. 

Cookbooks always overwhelm me, whereas Google cooking works for me.  Like donkpw and LJ, my grandparents and mother later life always cooked lots of veggies and had bigass gardens, so veggies are what I like. 

My cooking is a combination of what my mom cooked when I was growing up and what my wife cooked when I was working long hours and she was doing most of the cooking. She has added a lot of steamed vegetables over the years because she knows I like them and she knows they are good for you. When my wife started working full time I took over all the clean up/doing dishes, etc. When I retired I took over most of the cooking. I don't experiment as much as I used to because my wife sometimes doesn't like anything too weird.

• Heart 2

Both. Growing up my Dad did most of the cooking. Parents are from Boston so black pepper was as exotic as seasoning got. As we got older, there was greater experimentation with cuisines. Besides meat and potato stuff, Dad liked Italian and Chinese cuisine. He made his own pasta and huge pots of tomato sauce. When we hosted family reunions every August in MA, he'd make three gallons of clam chowdah, steam a bushel of corn with about 80 lobsters on top. A pitcher of pina coladas could be found in the freezer. When that ran low, it was your job to make the next batch. 

I took what I learned from Dad and ran with it. Experimented with more ingredients and seasonings. I like to eat well and try to stay healthy through a good diet with no emphasis on one style or another. All things in moderation and eat fresh foods from the seasons.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Old#7 said:

Both. Growing up my Dad did most of the cooking. Parents are from Boston so black pepper was as exotic as seasoning got. As we got older, there was greater experimentation with cuisines. Besides meat and potato stuff, Dad liked Italian and Chinese cuisine. He made his own pasta and huge pots of tomato sauce. When we hosted family reunions every August in MA, he'd make three gallons of clam chowdah, steam a bushel of corn with about 80 lobsters on top. A pitcher of pina coladas could be found in the freezer. When that ran low, it was your job to make the next batch. 

I took what I learned from Dad and ran with it. Experimented with more ingredients and seasonings. I like to eat well and try to stay healthy through a good diet with no emphasis on one style or another. All things in moderation and eat fresh foods from the seasons.

I am very similar to this.  Much of my cooking has been learned or at least inspired by my travels.