I'm hungry!!

petitepedal

I'm hungry all the time.  While losing weight, it's amazing how my habits are changing.  I have oatmeal for breakfast every day except Sunday.  All I put in is 1/2 cup of oatmeal, cinnamon, a tbs of chia, and a banana.  No nuts, no other sweetener.  In the summer I use blueberries instead, but they are too expensive in the winter.  On Saturday I used to put in nuts and maple syrup.  I was shocked at how many calories that was adding.  I don't do that any more.

I almost never have a handful of anything anymore.

No more grabbing a few nuts nuts because I want them.

No more chocolate.

No more raisins.

Food is no fun at all to me, and I think that's a good thing.

• Awesome 1

I had steel cut oats with dark sweet cherries that had been in the freezer since I retired. :runcirclsmiley:I didn't die yet. When I was working I took Greek yogurt with chia seeds, fresh or frozen fruit and local raw honey every day to work. When I retired I forgot all about the frozen fruit and just found it in the bottom of the freezer.

8 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

LJ, have you been fit all your life?  You look great.  Have you always exercised?  Are you conscious of what you eat?

I have always been conscious of what I eat. My mom loved vegetables and we normally had at least three vegetables at each bigger meal (supper during the week and lunch on Sunday). I never liked the way fat people looked and determined at a young age I was not going to let that happen. When I was raising kids I didn't have time or money for the gym but always did physical work except for the truck driving years. Driving truck it was difficult to find healthy food on the road while driving a big rig. You can't just park them anywhere. I tried to find truck stops with salad bars and I carried food from home when I could. Once the kids were bigger my wife started working outside the home and I started going to the gym and bought a real bike. My body has held up well over the years, I think my decisions have helped that happen. My brother thinks I'm crazy health and fitness nut. He has actually been very healthy as well but is not a model of fitness.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

35 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm hungry all the time.  While losing weight, it's amazing how my habits are changing.  I have oatmeal for breakfast every day except Sunday.  All I put in is 1/2 cup of oatmeal, cinnamon, a tbs of chia, and a banana.  No nuts, no other sweetener.  In the summer I use blueberries instead, but they are too expensive in the winter.  On Saturday I used to put in nuts and maple syrup.  I was shocked at how many calories that was adding.  I don't do that any more.

No more chocolate.

No more raisins.

The labor begins. Rewards to follow. :)

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

No more chocolate.

No more raisins.

:scratchhead:  You do enjoy food, right?  I am hungry all the time and I sure do! 

And it feels great to make even the minor adjustments I am making, like reduced portion sizes and healthier choices.  There is a lot of positive feedback involved - eating less makes me feel better than eating too much did.  It is an excellent trade, temporary pleasure of gluttony versus the permanent feel-goodiness of not being so fat!

• Awesome 1

46 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I have always been conscious of what I eat. My mom loved vegetables and we normally had at least three vegetables at each bigger meal (supper during the week and lunch on Sunday). I never liked the way fat people looked and determined at a young age I was not going to let that happen. When I was raising kids I didn't have time or money for the gym but always did physical work except for the truck driving years. Driving truck it was difficult to find healthy food on the road while driving a big rig. You can't just park them anywhere. I tried to find truck stops with salad bars and I carried food from home when I could. Once the kids were bigger my wife started working outside the home and I started going to the gym and bought a real bike. My body has held up well over the years, I think my decisions have helped that happen. My brother thinks I'm crazy health and fitness nut. He has actually been very healthy as well but is not a model of fitness.

Interesting.  And here I was ASSUMING that you just had a fast metabolism and did enough activity to stay thin.  That is just the way the brain works, always trying to conserve energy by doing shortcuts like ASSUMING.  Probably the single best thing I ever (almost) learned in high school, that assuming makes an ass out of you and me. :mellow::huh:

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Interesting.  And here I was ASSUMING that you just had a fast metabolism and did enough activity to stay thin.  That is just the way the brain works, always trying to conserve energy by doing shortcuts like ASSUMING.  Probably the single best thing I ever (almost) learned in high school, that assuming makes an ass out of you and me. :mellow::huh:

It's a proven fact that wearing only a speedo in sub freezing weather will help you stay thin. You should do it.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

:scratchhead:  You do enjoy food, right?  I am hungry all the time and I sure do! 

Nope, not much.  I find that eating fewer calories of mostly healthy food isn't as interesting.

For instance, once I cooked a pound of bacon until it was crispy.  I left the fat in the pan.  I cooked two filets in the fat, took them out then made a sauce with the stuff in the pan.  Poured it over the filets along with the crispy bacon pieces.  We ate the whole thing.  It was the best meal I ever made.  It was also probably over a 1000 calories for each of us.

Now, I eat so much less food, and I also weigh about 40 pounds less than then.  I still have a way to go, but to me it's worth it.  I'm tired of eating like a glutton.

• Awesome 1

I found that minced garlic and ginger stir fried in soy sauce are not a bad substitute for the smoky bacon taste.

I guess  I am lucky in that I love chowing down on veggies.  But also not so virtuous things like crackers, chips, cheese.

A little bit of chocolate or ice cream makes a good occasional treat as long as you can hold the line.

26 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

ice cream makes a good occasional treat as long as you can hold the line.

I eat ice cream sometimes. My frugality wins out over my healthy eating. We will have ice cream in the freezer and it’s getting old so I will eat it before we have to throw it out. We keep ice cream at all times for the grandkids but they don’t often ask for it. They seem to prefer popsicles.