A treasure trove from the past

maddmaxx

34 minutes ago, Airehead said:

THANK YOU for sharing.  How old were you. When you went in thenany>

18, after one unsuccessful year attempting to mix a party life with being a physics major at RPI.  I was running from a life I didn't like into the unknown.  Who knew it was going to be the second best decision of my life.  They provided the means to grow up and get a non traditional education that cannot be bought in conventional schools.  It was a good fit for me.  As for the Navy, I guess they recovered eventually.

• Heart 4

Your life after birth father died was tough.  You chose a path that helped, max etc.  There must have something though...that kept you from totally falling apart... The memory of life before 10..?  An unconscious wish, near-dream..

My partner had a similar situation re his stepfather.  His birth father was shot in WWII. Dearie was only 2 yrs. old when father was gone..  He yearned for a father but later found new father was a disappointment.

Stepfather totally different...kinda got in a drunk rages. Dearie  tried to protect his mother. Stepfather didn't want dearie to go to university. But dearie ignored him and with moral support of mother, went...paid his own way through university..by taking on part time jobs..

It was his mother who provided the foundational supportive ballast for him..she was a quietly Catholic, very giving and a lot of people even teenagers, were drawn to her quiet, gentle ways.. 

27 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

18, after one unsuccessful year attempting to mix a party life with being a physics major at RPI.  I was running from a life I didn't like into the unknown.  Who knew it was going to be the second best decision of my life.  They provided the means to grow up and get a non traditional education that cannot be bought in conventional schools.  It was a good fit for me.  As for the Navy, I guess they recovered eventually.

So what you're saying is, You were definitely born again, hard. :lol:

b782bbc0ec1cb910781ce85a7c9e3682--marine