Jet’s Pizza ?

Kzoo

9 hours ago, Kzoo said:

For dinner 

X cheese, pineapple, ham, green pepper.

Do you have a Jet’s Pizza near you?

We're getting one. I was excited about it, but DoSmudge2 says the price has gone up a lot lately. She says it's always hit or miss if you get good pizza/correct toppings or not. She's no longer a fan.

20 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Yes, but rarely get their pizza, no particular reason. After today's ride, a friend & I stopped at the Jets in Chelsea. It's an actual restaurant w/ a bar that has what seems like a couple dozen taps. Sweet joint IMO.

• Awesome 1

According to the Store Locator on the Jet's Pizza site, the Jet's closest to Baltimore are in Pittsburgh, PA and Virginia Beach, VA, both about 4 hours drive time from me.

The pizzas I like best near me, just South of Baltimore, are Pizza Bolis, part of a chain, and Carmelo's, a Ma-Pa family run Italian Restaurant.

The best pizza I ever tasted was when I went to away to grad school at IIT in Chicago in the '70's, I loved Connie's (in the Bridgeport area of Chicago on the South Side) restaurant's Sicilian Pizza, which was NOT the stuff you get everywhere today with a thick crust. It was a real "pizza pie" where the pepperoni, sausage, green peppers, sausage, mushrooms, etc. etc. were part of the thick tomato sauce filling and the mozzarella cheeese went on top of it all like a top crust. The sides and bottom were regular thickness crusts and you ate it with a fork.

When the great physicist Glenn Seaborg, who discovered the process to create Plutonium (and taught it to us!) during WW2 (used in the Nagasaki bomb) and is responsible for the Periodic Table's current organization, came to IIT to give the annual Kilpatrick Lectures, we scholarship grad students were expected to take him out to dinner at our expense after the 2nd day's lecture. The year before, ceramics Nobel Prize winner Henry Taube had us take him to an expensive German Restaurant, where the bill was close to $100/person and we grad students could barely afford that for ourselves let along pay for him.  So we were not that thrilled to be introduced to Seaborg until he said, "I understand you folks are taking me out to dinner tomorrow. I sure am looking forward to Chicago pizza!"

We were all smiles after that: we took him to Connie's, of course. We all drank too much, including Seaborg as we talked chemsitry and physics for a couple hours at Connies and learned interesting things like they gave Plutonium the atomic symbol "Pu" as a joke - it didn't stink but they liked Pu better than Pl - which belongs to no other element.  Also, "Element 92 was discovered just after the planet Uranus was discovered, so they named it Uranium.  When the Germans synthesized element 93, Neptune had been discovered so they named it Neptunium.  We made element 94 and knew we had to name it after Pluto.  But we couldn't agree if it was etymologically correct to call it Plutium or Plutonium.  We never figured it out, but liked the sound of Plutonium better, so that's what we called it."

When I returned to Maryland after college it took me about a year to like Maryland pizza again.  But, several years ago, my brother got me a birthday present of Connie's Sicilian pizza, frozen and shipped to me.  Unfortunately it was a cheap imitation of that 1970's superb pizza pie: thick crust with cheese and toppings on top of the cheese.

On 2/17/2018 at 8:46 PM, Kzoo said:

For dinner 

X cheese, pineapple, ham, green pepper.

No, but I wish we did.

I had to make an out of town trip a few months back, and I asked the front desk clerk of the hotel I was staying in who had the best pizza nearest to the hotel and he said Jets. I tried a large with extra cheese, extra pepperoni and Italian sausage. It was quite good. Better than most of the places near my home. :)

9 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

That has potential....

Thank you.  My crust came out perfect.  

I don't measure the flour.  The base is 3 cups of warm water, 1/2 tsp yeast, a large heaping tablespoon of honey, 1 tsp sea salt,  Once the yeast has foamed, I mix in one tbsp of vital wheat gluten and about 1.5 cups of flour.  Mix well with a wooden spoon, and leave it overnight.  The next morning I gradually mix in flour 1/2 cup at a time, until it starts to hold together.  When I can shape it and a finger poke bounces back, it's ready to rest all day in a warm place.  I drizzle olive oil on the top and leave it alone for most of the day.  About an hour before I make the pies, I take a chunk out and shape it into a disc and let it rest for an hour.  Right before a blind bake, I shape it into a pizza dough on my pizza peel.  I blind bake it, until it looks like a pale boboli crust.  If I don't blind bake it, it doesn't get done enough.  I have to crank my oven up to 500F to get the desired result.  If I had a brick oven, it would be better.  

My base recipe makes 4 pies.  I made two pizzas last night and froze two doughs for later.   They freeze decently enough, if I use them within a month or so.

I'm guessing that there is an ingredient or 2 that I might object to but I don't quarrel over pizza toppings.  We all have our likes and dislikes.   We buy some crusts from the local farmers market that are to die for.  We don't do that enough..... 

AND I have a meeting tonight where they serve some food.  The typical food there is Jets Pizza.  I should be a happy guy.