Rice doesn't keep well

Randomguy

4 hours ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

I made rice the other day.  I ate the remainder of it today.  The end.

Wtf, rice?

It took me a while to realize the trick to perfect fried rice is use day old rice that is a little hard.  Next time you have some leftover rice maybe try a fried rice.

• Heart 1

When cooking with rice, I usually use long-grain rice and, like the Chinese restaurants, rinse the raw rice in water washing through with my fingers several times, for several minutes until the water above the rice in the bowl is pretty clear - the cloudiness is the starch you're removing.  (Note that I learned working fast food as a teenager to wash raw french fries twice in water, running my hands through them for about 30 seconds each time and draining the water each time: that gets a lot of starch out, improves the taste, and makes the interior a little softer.)

Then I steam the rice, preferring a simple pot to a specialized steamer.  The volume of water added to the pot is 2 times the volume of long-grain rice, 1 1/2 times the volumn of short grain rice. I add a tsp of cooking oil to make the rice kernals less clingy.  I stir the rice with a spoon until it begins to move loosely. When the water begins to boil, I set the heat to a very-low simmer, put the lid on the pot and leave it there for 12 minutes.  Then, keeping the lid on, I move the pot to a room-temperature spot and let it sit for 18 minutes.

At that point, it can be stirred and used immediately in SOME dishes where you sticky/clingy rice is ok like in stuffed peppers or cabbage (Polish Galubkis!).

Otherwise, it's better to put it in the refrigerator for a day to let the kernals become less sticky before using it.

18 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I’ve heard of the risks but all I can say is all my adult life I’ve reheated rice, rarely fried, more often steamed or microwaved, and never suffered any ill consequences. I can also happily eat it cold, with cold curry.

49 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

I’ve heard of the risks but all I can say is all my adult life I’ve reheated rice, rarely fried, more often steamed or microwaved, and never suffered any ill consequences. I can also happily eat it cold, with cold curry.

Likewise but there are numerous warnings about it.   I have never had problems though.  

17 hours ago, MickinMD said:

(Note that I learned working fast food as a teenager to wash raw french fries twice in water, running my hands through them for about 30 seconds each time and draining the water each time: that gets a lot of starch out, improves the taste, and makes the interior a little softer.)

That is best for potatoes.  It is also suggested for those with kidney disease as it leaches the potassium. 

• Heart 1

99% time when I've prepared rice and with leftover rice if it has been cooled before put in a container before into fridge for a few days, I've never had problems.  I reheated by microwave or if I didn't have one, I resteamed it until it was hot.

Any butter or oil in rice, I would tend not keep it in fridge beyond 2-3 days. Otherwise freeze it.  Always, always, cool down the cooked rice before putting into fridge.  I've never eaten refrigerated rice unless it's been reheated until it's hot. Not warm, --hot.