Voila, mutherfukkers!

Randomguy

13 hours ago, MickinMD said:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

This is what you get when you keep holding "a" on Windows.  You also get the $900 extra dollars you didn't waste on a Mac in order to run mostly Windows-based software.

I thought Windows was mostly iOS and GUI software? 

On 2/18/2018 at 10:51 AM, Intestinal Parasite said:

This PSA is for everyone.

'Voila' is as close as I get, how do I add grammatical marks and things?

When you googled "voila" to figure out WTF voilà meant, why didn't you just copy/paste the "fixed" spelling version????

Tom

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I thought Windows was mostly iOS and GUI software? 

Probably!  Back in 1981 when I wrote the first animated adventure game for computers, Castles of Darkness (see me on the Giant List of Classic Game Programmers: http://dadgum.com/giantlist/), the latest in home computers was the Apple II and Dave, the owner of the publishing house The Logical Choice, gave me a copy of the book "Beneath Apple DOS" and asked me to re-write the operating system so it would run on an Apple II but the major copying programs available then couldn't copy it.  I mainly changed the number of consecutive bytes that would be read from the floppy disk at a time -actually speeding it up a lot as applied to that game by reading bigger chunks- and that fooled the copy programs.

Then Intel PC's came out and used Microsoft's DOS.  But that didn't come from Apple.  Microsoft paid a guy who had an alternative microcomputer language $50,000 for his operating system, modified it slightly, and renamed it.

Who did what, when, and where after that is beyond me.  All I know is I'm typing on a good-as-new, passed back through the assembly line, certified refurbished 17.3" touchscreen HP laptop with Win 10, a highly-rated AMD 12-9700p quad core 2.5 - 3.4 GHz processor, 12 GB RAM, 2 TB HD (I need the storage when I'm working with homemade videos, etc. plus I have a few hundred megabytes of chess stuff), DVD Burner, plus all the bells and whistles including Bluetooth (my smartphone text messages pop-up on my computer screen) and SD Card reader, and it cost me $519.99 total.  I can't get anything close to that price for that much with Apple, so Win 10 works for me.  A certified refurbished Macbook Pro laptop for around $500 has a slower i5 Intel quad core processor, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, and a 13.3" screen.

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Probably!  Back in 1981 when I wrote the first animated adventure game for computers, Castles of Darkness (see me on the Giant List of Classic Game Programmers: http://dadgum.com/giantlist/), the latest in home computers was the Apple II and Dave, the owner of the publishing house The Logical Choice, gave me a copy of the book "Beneath Apple DOS" and asked me to re-write the operating system so it would run on an Apple II but the major copying programs available then couldn't copy it.  I mainly changed the number of consecutive bytes that would be read from the floppy disk at a time -actually speeding it up a lot as applied to that game by reading bigger chunks- and that fooled the copy programs.

Then Intel PC's came out and used Microsoft's DOS.  But that didn't come from Apple.  Microsoft paid a guy who had an alternative microcomputer language $50,000 for his operating system, modified it slightly, and renamed it.

Who did what, when, and where after that is beyond me.  All I know is I'm typing on a good-as-new, passed back through the assembly line, certified refurbished 17.3" touchscreen HP laptop with Win 10, a highly-rated AMD 12-9700p quad core 2.5 - 3.4 GHz processor, 12 GB RAM, 2 TB HD (I need the storage when I'm working with homemade videos, etc. plus I have a few hundred megabytes of chess stuff), DVD Burner, plus all the bells and whistles including Bluetooth (my smartphone text messages pop-up on my computer screen) and SD Card reader, and it cost me $519.99 total.  I can't get anything close to that price for that much with Apple, so Win 10 works for me.  A certified refurbished Macbook Pro laptop for around $500 has a slower i5 Intel quad core processor, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, and a 13.3" screen.

Essentially Mick is saying that if @Intestinal Parasite could get MS-DOS working on his PC, he'd have no issue typing voilà.

Tom

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1