Climatic differences- where lived, bodily adjustments

shootingstar

A true test of living in a place instead of just reading about it..is how your body responds to certain climates. Sometimes little things can annoy. I never knew until I lived in the prairies:

*skin gets quite dry. People look abit older in prairies to me, cause the air is drier, unless you moisturize, wrinkles show up abit more

*chapped lips...guys and gals are seen using lip balm often.

*getting thirsty faster....for any sport.

*my straight hair holds a curl much more firmly.  

But we're at a higher elevation than Vancouver..though being on flat prairie you wouldn't know it.

58 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

A true test of living in a place instead of just reading about it..is how your body responds to certain climates. Sometimes little things can annoy. I never knew until I lived in the prairies:

*skin gets quite dry. People look abit older in prairies to me, cause the air is drier, unless you moisturize, wrinkles show up abit more

*chapped lips...guys and gals are seen using lip balm often.

*getting thirsty faster....for any sport.

*my straight hair holds a curl much more firmly.  

But we're at a higher elevation than Vancouver..though being on flat prairie you wouldn't know it.

All those things. Seattle and Vancouver are the same essentially. My dry skin unfortunately leads to itchy skin. I used to live in the Inland Northwest. Beautiful by dry and itchy.

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Florida.  You start looking around for your Starter NFL jacket when the temperature gets down to 60 degf.  You speak of the seasons as early summer, summer, late summer and next summer.  You drive a convertible with the top down and the air conditioning on.

Drive a convertible with top down and air-con on???  Love those different definitions of summer.  

Yea, I heard about the heavy humidity in Florida....and that's after experiencing heavy humidity in Toronto. Hopefully those days of guys in 2 piece business suits in downtown Toronto at near 90% humidity, 35 degree C summer heat are nearly gone these days?

I can adjust to cold better than heavy hot humidity nowadays.

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Florida.  You start looking around for your Starter NFL jacket when the temperature gets down to 60 degf.  You speak of the seasons as early summer, summer, late summer and next summer.  You drive a convertible with the top down and the air conditioning on.

Maybe you guys just make fun of me for being a Californian but I get ribbed often for being cold when it's 60 degrees.  But when it's so often pushing triple digits you feel  a 40 degree drop in temps. 

I am a native Floridian so grew up with the humidity and insects. People freak out over roaches! Thanks to Uncle Sam, I got to go from Alabama, to damp cold Great Britain where I still remember coming back from a trip to the continent and hearing on the radio bookies were giving 15:1 odds that London would no hit 80 degrees any time in July/August...and they won the bet. Followed that up with Phoenix AZ. Talk about a system shock. Even when it was 100+ outside and walking out the door was like opening the oven door and inhaling, in the evening would freeze in the pool as the lack of humidity would evaporate (refrigerate) the wet parts of your body. Visiting family in Florida, could swim a lot later in the year than Arizona due to the humidity. 

Noticeable as a cyclist: even if you do some baby rides (which I haven't for past month because of lots of snow, ice, etc.) here in prairies at higher elevation, actually helps abit for fitness when cycling at lower elevation in Vancouver when doing some hills there. Dearie has noticed this also.

When living in Vancouver and quite fit cycling, then going to New Mexico to cycle, I got tired very easily. Forgetting it was at higher elevation than Vancouver (this excludes cycling in Whistler which at higher elevation).

I find it amusing people here in Alberta complain about heat at 25 degrees C. But it is a dry heat. I find the naked bright sun can be exhausting on the prairies without tree cover.  Humid heat in southern Ontario is exhausting to me now. Can't believe I used to cycle-tour for days with heavy panniers in summer there.  Sometimes ignorance is best. :flirtyeyess:

I once wintered in Great Lakes Illinois and was transferred in April to Key West Florida.  At that time air conditioning was not as common in Florida as it is today.  Wholy Carp.

2 years later I had become so acclimated to Florida that I wanted to wear my heavy blue navy peacoat when the temps got down to 60.  All in all I'd rather live in a warm climate than a cold damp one.

:(

And yes, riding in a convertible with the top down and the air on works as the bottom half of you has nice cool air blowing on you.

I grew up in Maryland, went to college in Chicago, turned down a job with Sherwin Williams polymer research in Chicago after graduating because I hated the Winters, and returned to Maryland - which I'd leave for warmer climates if my extended, close family and friends were not here.

If reincarnation is a real thing, I probably lived on the Equator in a past life!