Why do you eat Chia seeds?

Wilbur

33 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Omega 3, it thickens things.

I just watched an investigative report on "superfoods".  They say a whole bag of chia seeds has less Omega 3 than a 6 oz piece of salmon.  Between 0 and 10% of nutrients in the seeds are available to the body for nutrition.  

31 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Also, potatoes have more nutrients than Quinoa and the same carbs per serving.  The gal is a dietician for the Canadian Olympic team.  They don't eat chia and don't eat quinoa. 

Hell this CA boy has never eaten chia and Ive tried quinoa but don't really make it.

34 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They promote pooping

33 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I was going to say regularity but pooping is easier to spell.

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...they also appear to promote "regularity".  Or so I've heard.

...you beat me by 30 minutes.  You must be pretty regular. :)

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I just watched an investigative report on "superfoods".  They say a whole bag of chia seeds has less Omega 3 than a 6 oz piece of salmon.  Between 0 and 10% of nutrients in the seeds are available to the body for nutrition.  

I think you might have misheard or misinterpreted what she said??? And perhaps some is applicable to different seeds (flax, perhaps???).  In any case, the usual case against getting Omega-3s from nuts or seed sources rather than animal sources is the "type" of Omega-3.  ALA is usually the only type in nuts & seeds while EPA & DHA (along with ALA) is found in the animal-derived Omega-3s. EPA & DHA are the ones you should prefer and look for, and the ALA kind is often the one that is added to food to make it a "great source of Omega-3!!!!" (classic big food advertising gimmick). 

In any case, I'm guessing the whole bag < 6 oz salmon is related to the the fact that the chia seeds have no EPA/DHA - only ALA - and require the body to convert the ALA to the "better" fatty acids.  That low rate of conversion makes the ALA less desirable, and makes their claim just "disingenuous" not incorrect. 

I would definitely promote wild salmon as a great food for multiple reasons - including the Omega-3s - but I don't think that makes chia seed a poor choice. It seems like chia is an easy "add" to foods you might be eating daily - breakfast comes to mind. It can be added to oatmeal easily, and like SW mentions, it can be used in a smoothy since it becomes a sort of gel that gives additional thickening.

I can't say I like chia seeds. But it is probably more likely for most people to eat chia seeds daily than it is for them to eat salmon daily.  Also, it might be devastating to wild salmon if we boosted consumption much more than it already is!

Tom

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think you might have misheard or misinterpreted what she said??? And perhaps some is applicable to different seeds (flax, perhaps???).  In any case, the usual case against getting Omega-3s from nuts or seed sources rather than animal sources is the "type" of Omega-3.  ALA is usually the only type in nuts & seeds while EPA & DHA (along with ALA) is found in the animal-derived Omega-3s. EPA & DHA are the ones you should prefer and look for, and the ALA kind is often the one that is added to food to make it a "great source of Omega-3!!!!" (classic big food advertising gimmick). 

In any case, I'm guessing the whole bag < 6 oz salmon is related to the the fact that the chia seeds have no EPA/DHA - only ALA - and require the body to convert the ALA to the "better" fatty acids.  That low rate of conversion makes the ALA less desirable, and makes their claim just "disingenuous" not incorrect. 

I would definitely promote wild salmon as a great food for multiple reasons - including the Omega-3s - but I don't think that makes chia seed a poor choice. It seems like chia is an easy "add" to foods you might be eating daily - breakfast comes to mind. It can be added to oatmeal easily, and like SW mentions, it can be used in a smoothy since it becomes a sort of gel that gives additional thickening.

I can't say I like chia seeds. But it is probably more likely for most people to eat chia seeds daily than it is for them to eat salmon daily.  Also, it might be devastating to wild salmon if we boosted consumption much more than it already is!

Tom

No, I was fixated on the program and generally have no English comprehension issues. Just repeated what was stated. 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

No, I was fixated on the program and generally have no English comprehension issues. Just repeated what was stated. 

So it was on RT? Or is this a case where the media "got it right!" and wasn't chasing ratings?

I'd simply say, consider the angle the "investigative report" was trying to achieve.

Or, don't eat chia seeds. I generally don't, so I wouldn't blame you.

Tom

I eat a lot of salmon. I would cook it more often but I think my wife gets tired of it.  She never complains about my cooking but I can tell when she really likes something and when she just eats it. I found smoked salmon in foil packs when I was looking for stuff to take on the bike. I could tear open a packet of that and wolf it down. It seemed a lot better than a cliff bar to me. I still put a bunch of chia seed in my oatmeal.