Fergies anthem

Dirtyhip

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Jazz and the anthem just don't go... Did you see the weekend warrior honor guard that had the CA state flag at Present Arms instead of the US Flag?  Stupid ass should have known better.  The Old Guard wouldn't have screwed that up.

Agreed, and I did not

When I was teaching high school, morning announcements concluded with the National Anthem on Fridays (the Pledge of Allegiance the other days).

My gifted and talented chemistry class, at my urging, sang when the normally instrumental version of the National Anthem was played every week - the only class to do so that I know of.

Then, they got a "modern" version done by a singer that added so many extra notes as to be ridiculous. The version was so rhythmically uneven my teenagers couldn't stay in time with the singer.

They all started laughing.

Another teacher came charging into my classroom and demanded that I stop the kids from laughing during the National Anthem.

I replied that her class NEVER sang it, but mine did every week and respectfully - until those running the announcements decided to play a disrespectful version.

I didn't blame them for laughing.

She thought a minute and said, "You know, you're right. I shouldn't be complaining about your class, I should be up in the office complaining.

That was the last we had of the awful version and the Principal invited our class to record a version ourselves. We did and they played it - once: not too good, but not disrespectful.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

8 hours ago, Intestinal Parasite said:

Whoever sang it at the superbowl did a respectable mostly not fucked up job, if that is who you are talking about.  That is high praise these days.  Otherwise, I missed it.

That was Pink. She's a little rough around the edges, but she can belt out a tune. I like her sound.

9 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...they ought to dump the anthem at sporting events and go with the Benny Hill Theme (known as Yakety Sax)

That would be a much better kickoff to any sort of sporting event.  Not some old English tavern song with new lyrics.

FIFY :D

13 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Too sultry.  Strange. Plus, Fergie just sounded bad.

Rosanne still ranks #1 as the all time worst.

This. I still think Roseanne was intentionally bad, thinking it would be funny, or something. Sort of like Karaoke night, either be good or be bad, but don't just suck.

5 hours ago, smudge said:

That was Pink. She's a little rough around the edges, but she can belt out a tune. I like her sound.

She actually had the flu and apologized in advance if it sucked and said she wasn't backing out no way no how.  Her rendition was a little rough and in good health I'm sure she would have crushed it.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, jsharr said:

At work so didn't play this but it made me think of a butchering of the anthem.

Next door to a baseball complex is a motorcycle speedway track. My son was playing on a Sat night and there was a race going on that night.  Before the race some lady sang the National Anthem and OMG I felt so bad for her as she got the lines all confused and was butchering it badly and worse didn't know how to get back on track so just rambled on.

Thankfully the A/V person pulled the plug, literally with the distinctive click/pop and feedback for a second. The crowd was kind and didnt boo her but she didnt get an applause either. It was horrible but I just felt bad for the poor girl.

It's one thing when a singer tries to sing the anthem well but messes up for whatever reason.  Fergie actually tried to sing it that way.  I never thought she was very musically inclined, that proved it.  How could ANYONE think that's a way to sing that song - National Anthem or just a song?

Going to the Flyers game tonight, planning to be early enough to hear the best anthemist in the country - Lauren Hart.

23 hours ago, jsharr said:

Fergie is a bit off lately.  I am thinking she may be hopped up on goofballs or botox.

Lately?

This is the woman that has pissed herself on stage while singing.  BEP is one of the least musical groups I've ever heard, and she's no better solo.

The National Anthem is not a song anyone should attempt to "make their own".  Hint:  The song belongs to the whole country.  You've got hundreds of songs, even covers, you can make your own.  Make this song ours, and stop the opera, jazz, falsetto, and other BS.

For every idiot out there, I've got a shining example for you who did it right.  Matthew Morrison, Tony-award winner, at the World Series in 2012.

• Heart 1