Four feet. That's all I needed...

tybeegb

to finish a white-knuckle drive from Daytona to my brother's house in Walterboro, SC.  292 miles on the interstate with absolute morons.  And I was turning into my brother's driveway when WHAM!, this girl plowed into the ass end of the camper.  Four feet.  If I was four feet further in she would have missed.  No injuries to her or me, but the camper is toast, as the impact bent the frame and ripped the bottom covering off from front to back.  I felt bad for the girl so I only snuck one picture. 

She at first said her brakes failed.  Then she had looked down to change the radio station.  She looked up and there was the camper  Then she said her insurance had just lapsed and she was still getting quotes today.  Then she told the trooper that she was looking down to call her fiancé.  I attributed all of that to shock.  Anyway, I was a non-contributor and she was the sole contributor. 

So after 12 years and 40+ race trips, the old camper has rolled to it's last race.

5a8c11f4c33e4_IMAG0842(640x362).jpg.96dd65b3505e2d979ce6ba63cfd14874.jpg 

• Sad 4

10 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Of course she has no insurance.  I wouldn't feel sorry for her at all if I were you.

I agree with this. Insurance is compulsory here, I'm sure it is there, too. Driving without insurance is terribly irresponsible, penalties should be harsh.

And sorry for your beloved camper.

Just now, Airehead said:

You are very kind to feel sorry for her at all--- of course with no insurance, your insurance will have to cover it and then your rates will go up.  She should get her story straight.

I wouldn't necesarily say that. Friend of mine has AAA and was rear ended by someone w/o insurance. My friend was not at fault. He had to pay his deductible to have his truck repaired, then AAA started sending him checks in some increments that added up to his deductible. AAA went after the other person and had his wages garnished. My friend (& I) were absolutely shocked this happened. Glad it did though.

• Awesome 2

1 hour ago, tybeegb said:

to finish a white-knuckle drive from Daytona to my brother's house in Walterboro, SC.  292 miles on the interstate with absolute morons.

I am sad that it took this may posts for someone to point out the worst thing in this whole thread.

morans.jpg

Oh and sorry about the whole totaled trailer, no insurance thing.

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

I wouldn't necesarily say that. Friend of mine has AAA and was rear ended by someone w/o insurance. My friend was not at fault. He had to pay his deductible to have his truck repaired, then AAA started sending him checks in some increments that added up to his deductible. AAA went after the other person and had his wages garnished. My friend (& I) were absolutely shocked this happened. Glad it did though.

That sounds like the proper way of sorting it. Plus let the uninsured SOB sit a few months in a stinking gaol.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Zackny said:

I am asking for a friend, @Parr8hed, was she hot?

Yes.

And clarification.  My brother and sister own this camper.  My brother had taken his fifth-wheel camper down so his wife could go with him.  My sister and I pulled this camper with his older F-250, and I had dropped her off in Savannah on the way to take this one back to my brother's house and pick up my truck. 

I forgot the scariest part.  I was going slow to get between the ditches in the driveway when she hit.  I felt the hit and looked in the sideview mirror and all I could see were the two wheels on the left side about three feet off the ground as the trailer looked like it was going to roll over on its side.  My brother saw the whole thing and he thought for sure it was going to roll over.   

So in the world of no-fault insurance does it really matter that much (other than the deductible that you can get from them if you decide the hassle is worth it).

Daughter#2 found out the hard way when she totaled a friends car, that in Michigan, the driver's insurance is primary if they have any.  If she had no insurance her friend's policy would cover her.  Daughter#2 had an old car with PL/PD only - no collision, no comp.  Her insurance was primary on her friends car because she was driving and she had no collision.  Yes she ended up having to buy her friend a new (used) car.

• Confused 1