DMV Hell

ChrisL

So I'm walking to my car Sunday and for some reason my license plate catches my eye... Tags expired in Sept of 17?!?!?!?  WTF how did this happen.  Tore house apart, no renewal. Checked bank account, no payment to DMV.  Tried to pay online, nope won't let me. 

So went to work early and then left early and went to DMV.  After 15 minutes of trying to park got to wait 2.5 hours to be helped. Apparently when I got in my wreck the yard didn't release the lein when the auto body place picked up my car... So no renewal was sent..

Waiting on a supervisor to release the lein now that my car has been verified and I get to pay the renewal and penalties... 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Illinois was so broke last year that they didn't send out renewal notices to save about $8 million in postage. Also probably made a few bucks for expired license tickets.

Win-win!  For them though. :(

I swear I didn't get a renewal notice for my driver's license last time, so now I have a reminder in my phone for 2019. 

2 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

LOL MN put in a new system....and now you cannot order tabs on line..and mail order is sketchy...gonna cost big bucks to "fix" the new system that they paid big bucks for...that hasn't worked since they installed it  :dontknow:

I had to mail order mine last time. My computer and my printer were fighting and I couldn't print my new registration cards so I had to cancel and order by mail.

CA sends you a renewal notice a couple of months before expiration.  I never thought about it until yesterday...

When I got the lein notice I went to the yard that was holding my car and even asked them what the deal was with the letter.  Oh no worries sir, it's normal procedure and since the insurance company is repairing your vehicle  disregard the notice...  The lady at the DMV said the yard dropped the ball by not releasing the lein when it was picked up to be repaired.

21 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They are letting you pay for multiple years too so it's impossible to remember when it's due.

no stickers on the plates here in texas either, but we do have a dumb blue sticker on the windshield that tells us. 

1 minute ago, KrAzY said:

no stickers on the plates here in texas either, but we do have a dumb blue sticker on the windshield that tells us. 

When I mail ordered my registration they sent me a card. It would say when it expires if I remembered what I did with it. I'm not sticking the dumb thing in my wallet, If I put everything in my wallet that they tell you to carry I'd be sitting crooked on that big fat wallet. It might be in the glove box? Or maybe the overhead compartment? Or one of those little cubbies in the dash? I know I paid for a couple years, I just don't remember how long ago it was I did that. LOL.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

Time to make the repair shop pay the penalties.

My wife said the same thing but ultimately it's my responsibility and had I f'ing paid attention I could have avoided penalties by catching it before or soon after expiration, not 5 months after.

12 minutes ago, Chris... said:

I always renew my sticker online

Yeah CA has a pay online option but because of the lein hold it wouldn't process. They also have 3 kiosks to renew your registration but those things were causing all sorts of frustration for the people using them.  I'm kinda glad I had to see a person.

Just now, pedalphile said:

But plus 2 hours to do so?

Well the 2.5 hours was mostly waiting in line to talk to the 1st person who asses your need and assigns a number.  The people using the kiosk had to wait in the same line, then wait in a line to use the kiosk, then get pissed off, wait 20 minutes for help and then get help.  

Once I got a number I got called up in about 30 minutes. But had the lady sent me to the kiosk it would have doubled my wait as the lein hold required two additional steps by two different people to clear.

11 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Pennsylvania did away with the renewal stickers. You can look at your plate all day and not know it’s expired. Supposed to save the state millions of dollars not sending you those things every year.

A lot of the townie cops around here have the plate recognition technology. It's pretty slick.

Strange coincidence...

Last night, I was in the parking lot changing my shirt, shoes, etc. after a ride.  A cop pulls in and appears to be scoping me out.  That's not too surprising, as it's one of those Park&Ride lots that attracts a lot of riff raff looking to meet up for drugs or sex.  So, I carry on dong my thing.  A few minutes later he gets out of his car and approaches me.  He asks what I'm doing there and I tell him.  Then he asks "is this car registered?".  I'm like "of course it is."  He says "the plates are coming back as not in the system."  I find the registration in the glove box, but not the current one.

Turns out it was supposed to be renewed in September, 2017!  I don't have a good excuse like ChrisL does, just not paying attention.

So this morning it was: Go to AAA right when they open.  Find out there's a tax block, too.  Go to city hall to figure out what I owe.  They won't release blocks unless you pay by cash or money order.  Off to the bank.  Back to City Hall.  Back to AAA.  They had some trouble with the system that wouldn't allow them to reassign my plates back to me (apparently, after 3 months they put the plate numbers back in circulation), so for a bit I thought I'd have to physically change the plates, but they ran it through again and this time it took.  What an adventure!

Thankfully, the cop let me go, or I would have had a whole other saga about tow trucks, uber rides, impound fees, etc. to tell about.

3 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Strange coincidence...

Last night, I was in the parking lot changing my shirt, shoes, etc. after a ride.  A cop pulls in and appears to be scoping me out.  That's not too surprising, as it's one of those Park&Ride lots that attracts a lot of riff raff looking to meet up for drugs or sex.  So, I carry on dong my thing.  A few minutes later he gets out of his car and approaches me.  He asks what I'm doing there and I tell him.  Then he asks "is this car registered?".  I'm like "of course it is."  He says "the plates are coming back as not in the system."  I find the registration in the glove box, but not the current one.

Turns out it was supposed to be renewed in September, 2017!  I don't have a good excuse like ChrisL does, just not paying attention.

So this morning it was: Go to AAA right when they open.  Find out there's a tax block, too.  Go to city hall to figure out what I owe.  They won't release blocks unless you pay by cash or money order.  Off to the bank.  Back to City Hall.  Back to AAA.  They had some trouble with the system that wouldn't allow them to reassign my plates back to me (apparently, after 3 months they put the plate numbers back in circulation), so for a bit I thought I'd have to physically change the plates, but they ran it through again and this time it took.  What an adventure!

Thankfully, the cop let me go, or I would have had a whole other saga about tow trucks, uber rides, impound fees, etc. to tell about.

Wow who woulda thunk it!?!?!?  That was my concern as after a period of time PD can impound the car.  It's been too long to remember what that time frame is.

I'm surprised in 5 months not a single cop noticed it.  I've had CHP around me numerous times since sept.

51 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Wow who woulda thunk it!?!?!?  That was my concern as after a period of time PD can impound the car.  It's been too long to remember what that time frame is.

I'm surprised in 5 months not a single cop noticed it.  I've had CHP around me numerous times since sept.

The fact that they expired the same month is kinda freaky.  I was wracking my brain for a bit trying to figure out how someone on SWs knew about what happened!  Once I got further into your details I realized it was just a bizarre coincidence.

I was really shocked!  Not because I'm good at remembering stuff like that or anything. More because I had gotten away with it for so long!

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I was actually stopped one time with an expired tag, but the patrolman just warned about the speed zone and did not say anything about the plate. It was dark, so he may not have noticed the tag or it may have been dirty.

Add me to the list! Haven’t driven the Miata for a few months. Needed new tires and the weather has been a rough winter even by our standards. Finally got tires back in the budget and got them out on today!

WoW and I did an early evening drive. We went back to the tire shop to pick up my work car. As I walked around back, I noticed our tags were expired! They were due at the same time the tires ran out so WoW put it on the back burner. Couldn’t believe we didn’t get stopped. They tend to notice bright red little cars...

• Heart 1