Well, it had to happen.

maddmaxx

Two schools in CT have had students arrested for making threats in the last 24 hours.  One of them is where womaxx works.  News trucks parked outside and all the other crap that goes with it.  Today however was a no student day already on the schedule.  No actual acts were attempted, just noise.  Perhaps other kids will learn that this is not a game.

I am sadly not surprised.  Just came from a previously planned table top drill.  We had conversation about some crazy fool trying to shoot people on March 14th when schools across the nation are staging the 17 minute walk-out.  We are going to err on the side of caution and do activities inside such as letters to our politicians.

My daughters high seems to get one a year.  I suspect these are young, over-testeroned boys trying to impress someone and make a prank call or email  They don't think of the potential consequences.  I also suspect (at least around here where guns aren't popular), that they are just pranks.  Regardless, they get caught, expelled and arrested.  These are life altering "pranks".

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

My daughters high seems to get one a year.  I suspect these are young, over-testeroned boys trying to impress someone and make a prank call or email  They don't think of the potential consequences.  I also suspect (at least around here where guns aren't popular), that they are just pranks.  Regardless, they get caught, expelled and arrested.  These are life altering "pranks".

I don't think they should be handled as pranks anymore than a bomb joke at the airport is.  Sorry about your life kid but maybe you will prove to be a bad example that keeps others from doing this.  Get in the car, mind your head.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

I don't think they should be handled as pranks anymore than a bomb joke at the airport is.  Sorry about your life kid but maybe you will prove to be a bad example that keeps others from doing this.  Get in the car, mind your head.

I didn't get in a lot of trouble as a kid, but I also had no role models.  My parents offered very little, to no guidance.  I am the oldest, by a lot.  No cousins nearby.  I could have seen me doing something stupid like this.

My little tiny high school had an alert last week.  They did not close, just had "extra security" - but about half the student body stayed home.

(Given that, if I were one of the kids sent to school despite the alert, I wonder how I'd feel)

They arrested a 17-yo student based on his Snapchat post.

The school where WoZack works had an incident last Friday. Someone started a rumor that someone saw something on social media that a person was planning a shooting. Once word got out parents started flicking to the school to get their kids. Of course this only added to the chaos. There was no shooting and no posts about one. 

I've been wondering about this copycat thing, whether empty or real threats.  I worry about my daughter.  But it seems these shootings are taking place more in suburban schools, she's inner city.  Is there something about a student body that has real problems to deal with, and actual violence on a regular basis that they just see no reason to act out like these shooters?  The kind of violence in her school is more mano a mano, it doesn't involve the teachers except as intermediaries.  And the kids are actually really good about protecting little miss white girl from the burbs.  I'm not sure if I should be more concerned, or less?

We have a pastor in our church who has an niece and nephew (twins) that were in the classroom at Parkland where the kid held the door closed while he was getting shot up.  That kid saved their lives.  That hits way to close to home for someone I know.

Today in a school district next to ours and 17 yo was taken into custody after threatening to "Do worse than what happened in Florida."  The news report says he is sitting in the county lock up.