I don't plan on seeing Black Panther

Parr8hed

15 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Parody or typo?

You laugh but my GF drew some stares the other day when she said "why would I want to see that?  Isn't that about the black movement?" in a too public setting  Pretty much her only exposure to black panthers has been the movie Forrest Gump.

typo.  Sorry I ruined your black panther party.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Parody or typo?

You laugh but my GF drew some stares the other day when she said "why would I want to see that?  Isn't that about the black movement?" in a too public setting  Pretty much her only exposure to black panthers has been the movie Forrest Gump.

Did she not see Jungle Book? 

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I don't trust people who "aren't racists".  They are proven liars. :) 

I think there is tribalism and then there is racism.  The former is embedded in our makeup.  The latter is more of  finding someone you can stand on to feel better.

I think you mean tribalism Wilbur.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

I was reading some article that mentioned that "Blazing Saddles" would not make it to screen today.  REALLY?!!  ;)

This makes me sad.  The power of Mel Brooks was that he could take something terrible, like Nazis, or racism and take away some of the power by making us laugh at it.

I often say, you can either laugh or cry, and I prefer to laugh, which explains my "sick sense of humor" to quote Depeche Mode.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Okay, we aren't far apart and maybe what you call tribalism is the same thing Psychologists now call implicit biases.  Everyone has them and they are the basis of racism.  

You betcha.  When you walk into a room the tribal you immediately sizes up all the people in the room and groups them into danger, no danger.  "Not like me" is a part of that.  That's instinctive and not IMO racism although at first the "not like me" part might seem like it.  You will however get used to the people who are not a threat.

Racism is different. Racism is an irrational hatred you hold for perceived "not like me's" beyond the original assessment you do of everyone around you.  It's complicated but often involves making yourself superior to someone who is in your mind inferior for no good reason other than race.

It can be difficult to separate the two but they are different.