Millennials ??

Kzoo

Couple sells all possessions for sailboat, sinks 2 days into trip

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/02/11/couple-sells-all-possessions-for-sailboat-sinks-2-days-into-trip.html

"A couple’s plan for a better life has been sunk.

Nikki Walsh, 24, and boyfriend Tanner Broadwell, 26, decided nearly a year ago that they were tired of working."

No one see an issue with a 24 and a 26 yo being tired of working, right?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/02/11/couple-sells-all-possessions-for-sailboat-sinks-2-days-into-trip.html

Nikki Walsh, 24, and boyfriend Tanner Broadwell, 26, decided nearly a year ago that they were tired of working."

When did you get tired of working?

Tom

16 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I see no problem at all being tired of working at any age.

• Heart 1

I don't believe that the concept is something new to millenials, but doing it at that age and so woefully unprepared probably is.  I mean, it's fine to not want to keep working and lviing simply to make your savings last, but first you need to acquire the savings, and the skills needed to live life like that.

I got a kick out of the end:  They're begging money from everyone the know, and everyone they don't, but “You only have one life. Why spend it doing what you don’t love. Money isn’t everything!” Walsh told the Post.   I guess doing what you don't love for money is for everyone else.

27 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

When did you get tired of working?

Tom

Last summer after 13 years at my last job.  Of course that wasn't so much tired of working as tired of the BS involved with that job, so I was looking for another when I got laid off.  I was tired of not working with in a month.

If they ever do get out of the harbor without sinking, this is the BEST they can expect

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/two-sailors-and-their-dogs-rescued-after-months-adrift-at-sea/

but I fear it will end more like this, if anything at all is found of them.

http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachting-boating-world/german-sailor-found-dead-on-drifting-yacht-off-grenada-51607

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

If they ever do get out of the harbor without sinking, this is the BEST they can expect

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/two-sailors-and-their-dogs-rescued-after-months-adrift-at-sea/

but I fear it will end more like this, if anything at all is found of them.

http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachting-boating-world/german-sailor-found-dead-on-drifting-yacht-off-grenada-51607

Well, they managed to raise all of their money somehow, so guess we will find out soon enough.

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

How do you put everything you own into something like a boat and not get insurance?  So fucking stupid.  

Because that is a reoccurring cost that would require a job to make the payment.  Something these two snowflakes are better than, and enough people support them that they will continue to do this stupid shit.

I generally hate GoFundMe.  Been a few causes that I have contributed to, but for the most part it's nothing but modern day panhandling.  And worse, at least panhandlers have to put a little effort into getting their money.  With GoFundMe, it requires no effort now, so they have even came up with a way to make panhandling lazier.

I'm really losing what little hope I still had for society.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

Because that is a reoccurring cost that would require a job to make the payment.  Something these two snowflakes are better than, and enough people support them that they will continue to do this stupid shit.

I generally hate GoFundMe.  Been a few causes that I have contributed to, but for the most part it's nothing but modern day panhandling.  And worse, at least panhandlers have to put a little effort into getting their money.  With GoFundMe, it requires no effort now, so they have even came up with a way to make panhandling lazier.

I'm really losing what little hope I still had for society.

I hear you with the GoFundMe stuff.  Get a f'ing job and pay for it yourself like everybody else does!

The only thing I'll generally contribute to are health/death emergency type deals.  Yes, people should plan ahead, get insurances, etc. but life happens sometimes and not everyone is going to be equipped to handle a major medical emergency or an unexpected death.  For that, I think it's a great thing, a way for people to be each others' safety net.

If you want to buy a 3D printer to start some half-ass business, you better start saving!

• Heart 1

Just now, Reverend_Maynard said:

I hear you with the GoFundMe stuff.  Get a f'ing job and pay for it yourself like everybody else does!

The only thing I'll generally contribute to are health/death emergency type deals.  Yes, people should plan ahead, get insurances, etc. but life happens sometimes and not everyone is going to be equipped to handle a major medical emergency or an unexpected death.  For that, I think it's a great thing, a way for people to be each others' safety net.

If you want to buy a 3D printer to start some half-ass business, you better start saving!

So you don't want to contribute for the one I'm going to start to buy me a new house?

Yes, my son needs the pool to help deal with the emotional stress of moving away from his friends.

:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I'd have a contribution, but I'm not sure you'd like it. :D

tenor.gif?itemid=5640084

Why?  I like candy bars.

About the closest I've come to doing anything of the sort, unemployment office kept stressing that most people get jobs through someone they knew so do social networking and work that.  I tried that, but as usual, I got a job at a place where I knew no one.  Linkedin to me seems like as big of a farce as GoFundMe.  The older I get, the more I'm moving towards the luddite realm

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, Indy said:

So you don't want to contribute for the one I'm going to start to buy me a new house?

Yes, my son needs the pool to help deal with the emotional stress of moving away from his friends.

:rolleyes:

You might not be able to raise enough for the house.  So here's what to do:  Start a GoFundMe for a 3D printer and PRINT the house.  

You can thank me later.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

How do you put everything you own into something like a boat and not get insurance?  So fucking stupid.  

How do you decide to sail around world and you cannot even watch the damn weather, handle a boat, or read the damn channel markers.  

I am an inland sailer, with lot of fresh water experience and very little blue water sailing.

I know enough to make a boat go relatively fast and I know enough to know I have no place trying to sail off into the sunset until I learn a lot more.

We need to tell our kids to work hard and be satisifed, not "you can be anything, snowflake"  

http://www.sperrybaseballlife.com/stay-at-17-inches/

• Heart 3

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Here's my issue.  If they sold everything for a boat, why didn't they sell a little more yet of everything for insurance on the boat and everything on it? Oh, and howTF were they going to eat, pay for fuel, and slip charges for wherever they happen to be planning on parking the thing?

I'm sick as hell of working, even now that I've finally been in a non-toxic situation for several years. But I'm logical and know that it's going to be a long time before I just up and quit, because I can't afford that.  It's not exactly where I'd like to be, but in IT, every job opportunity seems to be the chance to dive into a pool filled with warm and brown, and so when you have a couple bad ones in a row, you become less of a risk taker.  I wonder how people can even have the hubris to leech off the lives of others; I was raised not to owe people.

As for GoFundMe, I'm not a fan, but I understand it during a few times.  A different fund (fortunately not GoFundMe, a place that relies on "tips" on top of donations to survive) was set up for the bike shop owner who sold me my bike in 2003, the one guy who actually apologized (why?) for not having a bike in the size to fit my Clydesdale self, told me he could order one that day, no-obligation test-ride, after I'd called half the shops in the lower half of the Lower Peninsula (as far as 2 hours away) and been blown off.  He has cancer, and it's likely to be for health care extending his life to have time with family (it is almost certainly fatal).  I gave to that; dude is first class and so is his shop.  But there's a difference between helping someone in need, and helping someone because they're not properly planning for life, and then hoping to leech off the generosity of others.

• Heart 1

I'm always a bit mixed on jobs.  I still recall growing up at a time when job hopping was rare and getting let go from a job you held for most of your life was hard to overcome.  When I was in high school, my Dad's company was doing layoffs.  My Dad had worked there his whole adult life and if he'd lost that job it would have been very hard to get another one because he was older and it was a specialized field.  My Dad didn't talk much about his work, and he didn't want us to worry.  But my best friend's Dad worked in the same dept as my Dad, and she kept telling me all the details. Luckily both our Dads survived the layoffs, but it definitely left an impression on me.

So on the one hand, I'm always sort of surprised and flattered that any company will hire me, and I'm thankful to have the job.   But on the other hand, any job can be frustrating and tiring at times.  So when I get fed up and want to quit, I try to remind myself that I'm lucky to have a job and be able to support myself.

I'm with Honey Badger re Go Fund Me.  Many that I've seen seem shallow and pointless, but there have been others where I know the people involved and I know they genuinely just need some help during a difficult time. People facing health challenges or who are working hard to help a good cause.  Buying a boat so you can sail around the world rather than work doesn't fall into either of those categories.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I don't believe that the concept is something new to millenials, but doing it at that age and so woefully unprepared probably is.  I mean, it's fine to not want to keep working and lviing simply to make your savings last, but first you need to acquire the savings, and the skills needed to live life like that.

I got a kick out of the end:  They're begging money from everyone the know, and everyone they don't, but “You only have one life. Why spend it doing what you don’t love. Money isn’t everything!” Walsh told the Post.   I guess doing what you don't love for money is for everyone else.

I hope a part of that money goes for some sailing lessons. I'd want to be better prepared to sail the world with more than "just a little sailing experience".