My insurance company confuses me...

KrAzY

So I call them and ask why I am paying a little more a month now with only having one vehicle then I did with two vehicles. 
The lady tells me because we got rid of our last vehicle and it is not a "Bundled package" anymore. 
Me:???? really??? I bought a motorcycle and it is insured through you guys...
Lady: A motorcycle is not a vehicle.
Me: Really??? It has a motor, is licensed through the Texas DMV, can be used on the highway and other roadways, is used for transportation...
Lady: Thats not a vehicle, a vehicle has 4 wheels
Me: mmmmm you are being serious or yanking me on this?
Lady: I'm serious
Me:Can I obtain a DWI while operating this machine?
Lady: YES! and you insurance will go up higher!
Me:.... Since you are saying a motorcycle is not what it is...Can you call the DMV and tell them it is not a vehicle so I can recoup about $80 for tax, title, license plates then?
Lady: but you need that stuff so you can drive your vehicle on the road!
Me... Thought you said it was not a vehicle.
Lady: I'm going to have my manager call you back tomorrow when he is in the office.

Is it only this state, or other states not classifying a motorcycle as not a vehicle for insurance?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

So I call them and ask why I am paying a little more a month now with only having one vehicle then I did with two vehicles. 
The lady tells me because we got rid of our last vehicle and it is not a "Bundled package" anymore. 
Me: Really??? It has a motor, is licensed through the Texas DMV, can be used on the highway and other roadways, is used for transportation...
Me:.... Since you are saying a motorcycle is not what it is...Can you call the DMV and tell them it is not a vehicle so I can recoup about $80 for tax, title, license plates then?
Lady: I'm going to have my manager call you back tomorrow when he is in the office.

Is it only this state, or other states not classifying a motorcycle as not a vehicle for insurance?

I guess it has more to do with what they bundle than how they classify it.

11 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

You are in Texas.  Tell them it is an iron horse.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I guess it has more to do with what they bundle than how they classify it.

I find it weird.. I had my last motorcycle with the same company but different state. I can't wait till I talk with the manager tomorrow.. I want to see how long it takes him to call it a vehicle. :)

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You are in Texas.  Tell them it is an iron horse.  

I don't think they cover animals 

1 minute ago, BR46 said:

But it transports you from point A to point B and it's still not a vehicle :scratchhead:

It has to do with the nature of the transport said vehicle provides.  Cars are 4 wheels, typically multiple seats, designed to carry multiple passengers with seat belts, etc.  No need for additional protective gear, offers passengers some level of protection in an accident, and rates are designed to reflect all these things.

Motorcycle, two wheels, no seat belts, not designed to carry multiple passengers, need for additional protection for operator and passenger, offers little protection in a crash.  Rates reflect this.

Hence the need for two types of insurance for the two types of vehicles.

3 hours ago, BR46 said:

But it transports you from point A to point B and it's still not a vehicle :scratchhead:

My thoughts exactly.. a vehicle is a vehicle no matter how many tire you have. If you can get a license plate for it, it should be considered a vehicle! 

3 hours ago, 12string said:

"Bundled" or not, something's really wrong when insuring one LESS vehicle costs MORE.  Maybe time for another insurance company?

Thats what I was thinking. Sadly I have used the same company for over 20 years and they are giving me the bottom of the barrel prices as is. 

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

It has to do with the nature of the transport said vehicle provides.  Cars are 4 wheels, typically multiple seats, designed to carry multiple passengers with seat belts, etc.  No need for additional protective gear, offers passengers some level of protection in an accident, and rates are designed to reflect all these things.

Motorcycle, two wheels, no seat belts, not designed to carry multiple passengers, need for additional protection for operator and passenger, offers little protection in a crash.  Rates reflect this.

Hence the need for two types of insurance for the two types of vehicles.

has two-ish seat, can transport more then one person. 
Also motorcycle insurance is a lot cheeper then "vehicle" insurance because they don't think people will drive it year long like I will. 
And protective gear is added into the cost. They have my policy for 3k worth of gear as basic.

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

You need to get a project vehicle ? park it in the front yard (up on cinder blocks is best) Insure it with them and save money.$$$$

working on that... have a new jeep in mind in the next year or so

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Sounds like time for competitive quotes. See who really wants you business. Don't argue. You are the customer...you have the last word.

I know I do, but I like to play games more then argue.. :)

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

This all essentially centers on whether or not your confusion makes them more money or not.  Right now, you're so busy being confused you haven't bothered to cancel and find a new insurer. They are winning...

Tom

You know, for a n00b you are rather........... crass.  KrAzY is in a serious state of confusion and all you can do is beat the guy down.

You have potential.