I was kinda Meh about the Olympics

petitepedal

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Haven't seen anything yet.  When is it over?

Come on... Put aside the my team/ your team thing and at least watch and appreciate the athletics.  People are doing amazing things these days.  It ain't your grandfathers Olympics.  Look at David Wises last halfpipe run.  Amazing stuff. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Come on... Put aside the my team/ your team thing and at least watch and appreciate the athletics.  People are doing amazing things these days.  It ain't your grandfathers Olympics.  Look at David Wises last halfpipe run.  Amazing stuff. 

It's not a team thing, just not interested.  I like to get to know the players on my team, these guys will come and go so fast, I don't have time to learn about them or get invested.

Just now, Reverend_Maynard said:

I guess I'm old school or something, but a shootout for the gold medal?  Uggh!

No, you are correct.  Play to win.  I think the outcome would have been the same in this match.  Canada was kept in the run by amazing goaltending.  Great game though!  Why can there be ties in other sports but hockey has to be settled with a shootout is beyond me.  IOC should fix that. 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Have to agree with this. It's nice to see sports that normally don't get tv coverage. The men's biathlon mass start had a great finish. The women's xc sprint relay was incredible. If you can see the full replay with the NBCSN call, it's worth a look. Watched the hockey last night. Stayed up way too late. Too bad it wasn't settle in OT, but a shootout it is.

My question to the Canadians. I think they said 21 players from Team Canada played college hockey in the U.S. Why? Is college hockey not that strong in Canada? Are the scholarship offers better in the U.S. 

6 minutes ago, dennis said:

Have to agree with this. It's nice to see sports that normally don't get tv coverage. The men's biathlon mass start had a great finish. The women's xc sprint relay was incredible. If you can see the full replay with the NBCSN call, it's worth a look. Watched the hockey last night. Stayed up way too late. Too bad it wasn't settle in OT, but a shootout it is.

My question to the Canadians. I think they said 21 players from Team Canada played college hockey in the U.S. Why? Is college hockey not that strong in Canada? Are the scholarship offers better in the U.S. 

Canadian schools spend no where near the money US schools do on sports development.  With fewer opportunities to grow skills for women's hockey in Canada, it just makes sense to go South.  Yes, most go there on great scholarships.  Win/win for the schools and the athletes. 

WOW, that cross country race for the women was exhilarating!  Even though I knew we had won, I was not sure we were going to by watching the taped event!  It was that close, with lots of lead changes and the US trailing coming into the home stretch.

I tried to stay awake to watch the women hockeying all around, but I fell asleep.  Woke up around 1 AM and I must have left the TV on, because the US women were all celebrating their hockey butts off.  I turned off the TV and went to back to sleep happy.

'MURICA!  And the women are getting it done!  

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Canadian schools spend no where near the money US schools do on sports development.  With fewer opportunities to grow skills for women's hockey in Canada, it just makes sense to go South.  Yes, most go there on great scholarships.  Win/win for the schools and the athletes. 

Kind of what I thought. Thanks.

6 hours ago, dennis said:

Kind of what I thought. Thanks.

Interesting story on CBC news tonight.  They were looking at the success of Norway and found the difference is a strong junior sports program that identifies the talent pool and then the government spends endlessly to further develop them.  The Norwegian team ski wax budget is a bigger dollar figure than Canada pays for it's entire ski program.