Are you a racist? Of course. Take the test.

Wilbur

I've seen this test but not yet taken time to go through whole thing.

Sadly this gets into all sorts of things related to physical comfort level, physical attraction (what we consider beautiful), who you would hire between 2 equally qualified candidates, etc.  

Good way to get around some of this..is to hang around, be with several (not just 1) people nearly daily/weekly who look completely different from you --skin-wise. For starters, will see differences, big differences in physiology, habits, personality, etc.  

this is how to see First Nations, native Indians...they are like Asians, very drastically different in cultures, languages, etc.  Can you believe that I didn't see this totally until a few years ago, looking at Northwest Coastal groups, Plains and Woodland, etc.?  I actually never paid attention until I lived in different regions of Canada.  Like the big differences among Chinese (different regional) and where born, Japanese, Thais, etc.

I don't mean to get off topic:  see this Aussie (of Chinese descent) who professionally impersonates Kim Jong.  Good for a laugh..in serious times.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/kim-impersonator-olympics-1.4540741  

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Sadly this gets into all sorts of things related to physical comfort level, physical attraction (what we consider beautiful), who you would hire between 2 equally qualified candidates, etc.  

Good way to get around some of this..is to hang around, be with several (not just 1) people nearly daily/weekly who look completely different from you --skin-wise. For starters, will see differences, big differences in physiology, habits, personality, etc.  

this is how to see First Nations, native Indians...they are like Asians, very drastically different in cultures, languages, etc.  Can you believe that I didn't see this totally until a few years ago, looking at Northwest Coastal groups, Plains and Woodland, etc.?  I actually never paid attention until I lived in different regions of Canada.  Like the big differences among Chinese (different regional) and where born, Japanese, Thais, etc.

I don't mean to get off topic:  see this Aussie (of Chinese descent) who professionally impersonates Kim Jong.  Good for a laugh..in serious times.

The test takes less than 5 minutes.  The whole point of this thread is to take it.  In the time you typed up your response, you could have taken it.

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, shootingstar said:

The questions asked are not part of your grading.  The score only relates to your timed response to photos and words.  I get that it may be uncomfortable but it is interesting to see the results.

7 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

The test takes less than 5 minutes.  The whole point of this thread is to take it.  In the time you typed up your response, you could have taken it.

Mine may show a white preference, DH. I'm assimilated into North American society.. or an outlier.  

Right now my brain is concerned about answering 4 mandatory essay questions from an employer and to prepare for a job interview after I return home from work.  

So, racism is making an automatic and incorrect judgment about someone based upon their appearance rather than getting to know them personally.

Now, here, take this test on insert-the-characteristic (in this case, racism)

written by people who don't know you

containing decision algorithms subject to a programmer's whim or his automatic bias

that over the course of just mere minutes

will pronounce a judgment about you and your inclinations, preferences, and prejudices that have taken decades to develop within you

that you don't even know you have yet.

I mean no offense to Wilbur, and I hope none is perceived.  These kinds of 'tests' can be interesting and can help promote meaningful discussions.  However I place little stock in the outcome of such 'tests' because the basis of their designs can be so arbitrary.  And if the basis of design is arbitrary, the accuracy of the result remains in question.

• Awesome 3

8 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

So, racism is making an automatic and incorrect judgment about someone based upon their appearance rather than getting to know them personally.

containing decision algorithms subject to a programmer's whim or his automatic bias

will pronounce a judgment about you and your inclinations, preferences, and prejudices that have taken decades to develop within you

I mean no offense to Wilbur, and I hope none is perceived.  These kinds of 'tests' can be interesting and can help promote meaningful discussions.  However I place little stock in the outcome of such 'tests' because the basis of their designs can be so arbitrary.  And if the basis of design is arbitrary, the accuracy of the result remains in question.

I have a preference for tall blonds with nice legs.  Oh noes.

21 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

None taken.  There are certain indicators and markers that point to a result.  Of course there will be design and even bias factors but it is put together by a pretty credible university. There is no judgement here.  Racial bias isn't an instinct as much as it is learned through a number of external factors. It may take a lifetime to develop or it may take one incident but it is there. How you act on such biases or let them influence your thought is the good or bad part. 

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

None taken.  There are certain indicators and markers that point to a result.  Of course there will be design and even bias factors but it is put together by a pretty credible university. There is no judgement here.  Racial bias isn't an instinct as much as it is learned through a number of external factors. It may take a lifetime to develop or it may take one incident but it is there. How you act on such biases or let them influence your thought is the good or bad part. 

And that IMO is how one differentiates between tribalism and racism.  

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Trust me.  There are people out there who would like to claim the results of your bias test proves racism.  It does everyone a great disservice to blend the two together.

Trust you?  We are talking psychology here which isn't a black and white science.  What you believe and I believe, even though common, are different with "correct" being a perception not a fact. 

I will say, tribalism may be the grandparent of racism but they are now, more closely intertwined. The difference being one is still considered an instinct.  There are a lot of tests though that show the same physiological responses with racism. Same meaning racism causes the same response as an instinct.  Therein lies the grey area of psychology. 

20 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Trust you?  We are talking psychology here which isn't a black and white science.  What you believe and I believe, even though common, are different with "correct" being a perception not a fact. 

I will say, tribalism may be the grandparent of racism but they are now, more closely intertwined. The difference being one is still considered an instinct.  There are a lot of tests though that show the same physiological responses with racism. Same meaning racism causes the same response as an instinct.  Therein lies the grey area of psychology. 

And I see a world where sharp lawyers twist these words into the concept of reparations.  Certain words contain loaded meanings and are often used incorrectly.  Fight or flight and tribalism instincts are different from Racism and I will object to any confusion between the two.

Just my take on the use of words and their clear meanings.  I don't object to the concept of tribalism at all.  We all do stereotypes (applied statistics) every day in our quick scan of our surroundings.  Some of these are instinctive and most are learned from the world we live in and the people around us.  There are miles of difference between this and the sorts of things that are real racism.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Are you a racist? Of course. Take the test.

I am "prejudiced" rather than "racist".  Along the lines of the definition #1:

1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.

Like stated by some others, it is how you act on that prejudice that shows your character (or lack thereof).

Tom

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I am "prejudiced" rather than "racist".  Along the lines of the definition #1:

1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.

Like stated by some others, it is how you act on that prejudice that shows your character (or lack thereof).

Tom

I try to be equally offensive to all, but I fear that I treat @Wilbur and @Kzoo with undeserved deference and heap disdain upon @maddmaxx and @Page Turner and do not even get me started on that gentrified cracker known as @AirwickWithCheese

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I try to be equally offensive to all, but I fear that I treat @Wilbur and @Kzoo with undeserved deference and heap disdain upon @maddmaxx and @Page Turner and do not even get me started on that gentrified cracker known as @AirwickWithCheese

In other words.. You are a Texan. 

I think the test is implicitly biased. Practice at making repeated associations will skew the test results to favor the responses which are made after one gets comfortable with the test methodology. Sort of like Jeopardy contestants get better at anticipating when to hit the button the longer they play, giving winners a built in advantage over new players. I suspect they can skew the results by the timing in which you are to associate blacks faces with negative names and vice versa.

36 minutes ago, Ltdskilz said:

I think the test is implicitly biased. Practice at making repeated associations will skew the test results to favor the responses which are made after one gets comfortable with the test methodology. Sort of like Jeopardy contestants get better at anticipating when to hit the button the longer they play, giving winners a built in advantage over new players. I suspect they can skew the results by the timing in which you are to associate blacks faces with negative names and vice versa.

The people who made the test agree with you if you read past the test.  They claim however than the changes in results made by re-ordering the samples are "small".

• Awesome 1