February 21 beer & such

Parsnip Totin Jack

I didn't post last night cause I was tired. After work we had an interview with the prospective landlord. A nice chap, we will get along well. The lease will be signed later this week and funds transferred for the security deposit and the rent for April. At home, I opened the can of Heady Topper double IPA to celebrate. Wow what a good beer. Aggressively hopped but a nice malt balance. A straw gold color, lighter than I expected from an IIPA. Great beer from start to finish, I almost cried at the end. I will visit the brewery next time I travel to VT.

Next up, I poured a Founders KBS. A delicious stout and was a very nice follow up to the IIPA. I have one KBS left in the fridge and my source is bringing me another Heady Topper. I will repeat this exercise in April after the move.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

12 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I didn't post last night cause I was tired.

Same for me. I was tired after rushing home early from work to get a ride in! I only had a little over an hour of daylight to play with (still needed to give the pup a walk), so I changed and got out as quickly as possible. I and a THOUSAND of my closest friends!!!  Man, with temps at 80*, it was like everybody was hap-hap-happy to get outside and enjoy the glorious weather.  My overall speed was checked by many slow-to-pass maneuvers, and my philosophy on a day like yesterday is "smell the roses" and "better safe than sorry".  Out past Herndon, things always thin out, but I never got to where things really get quiet.  And the wind was surprisingly strong with a crosswind from the South bringing the warmth but also some humidity.

Anyway, 18 miles @ 18mph is always nice in February. No complaints, except no beer last night at dinner. Had Old Ox Brewery Golden Ox then night before, though :)

IMG_5825.PNG.4ac2e14758d85b6b456c8b994d188f53.PNG

GoldenOx_Can_Glass.thumb.png.8883b5b130a22b065f764b4800ac9553.png

Tom

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

30 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I didn't post last night cause I was tired. After work we had an interview with the prospective landlord. A nice chap, we will get along well. The lease will be signed later this week and funds transferred for the security deposit and the rent for April. At home, I opened the can of Heady Topper double IPA to celebrate. Wow what a good beer. Aggressively hopped but a nice malt balance. A straw gold color, lighter than I expected from an IIPA. Great beer from start to finish, I almost cried at the end. I will visit the brewery next time I travel to VT.

Next up, I poured a Founders KBS. A delicious stout and was a very nice follow up to the IIPA. I have one KBS left in the fridge and my source is bringing me another Heady Topper. I will repeat this exercise in April after the move.

Those are some pretty fancy beers!  You drink like that every night?

36 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Those are some pretty fancy beers!  You drink like that every night?

Hell no, last night was an outlier, I was fortunate to acquire the Heady Topper and bought the KBS months ago. I split a four-pack with a friend and had a stash of two in the beer closet. I'm down to one now. 

• Heart 1

Normal commute of 5ish, RT  My husband surprised me for a commute home.  That was nice.  He was off today and went to his gym, and swung by to ride home with me. 

Arms back day with PB <Project Badass>.  My biceps and triceps are getting much bigger and well defined.  My tricep area no longer have the middle age wiggle.  Solid.   Should take a new pic for @petitepedal.  Did pull ups and they were somewhat meh.  Maybe I was tired.  We followed up the muscle work with stretches, per usual.  We warmed up with stair climber and elliptical.  The stair climber said we each did 45 floors.  I set the tempo for 8.  Might bump up to 9 in a few weeks.  

Slow and steady.  Not too much too fast, and going perfectly.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Normal commute of 5ish, RT  My husband surprised me for a commute home.  That was nice.  He was off today and went to his gym, and swung by to ride home with me. 

Arms back day with PB <Project Badass>.  My biceps and triceps are getting much bigger and well defined.  My tricep area no longer have the middle age wiggle.  Solid.   Should take a new pic for @petitepedal.  Did pull ups and they were somewhat meh.  Maybe I was tired.  We followed up the muscle work with stretches, per usual. 

What about BEER????

While your workout and commute are great (!), what about the beer you consumed or considered consuming or are sad you didn't consume???

Tom

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Hell no, last night was an outlier, I was fortunate to acquire the Heady Topper and bought the KBS months ago. I split a four-pack with a friend and had a stash of two in the beer closet. I'm down to one now. 

I have one KBS in the fridge, and one in the cellar.  I think they are both 2016s.

Heady topper is actually harder to come by, as it never appears in any local stores.  I live in New England, but that area of Vermont is still like a 3.5 hour drive, and there's nothing else near it.  I have had it a couple of times though, and it is spectacular.  My friend that goes there semi-frequently likes their Focal Banger better.  I think it's a dead heat!

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What about BEER????

While your workout and commute are great (!), what about the beer you consumed or considered consuming or are sad you didn't consume???

Tom

I do not drink alcohol.  Living with MS and taking certain meds, takes this completely out of the picture.  My med specifically states "no alcohol"  right on the label.  Also, the meds are hard on my liver, and so is alcohol. 

Don't get me wrong, I can be fun as hell with some shots, but that is in my past now.  

On my vacation last year, I got drunk on one cocktail.  I probably won't touch it for another year.  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I do not drink alcohol.  Living with MS and taking certain meds, takes this completely out of the picture.  My med specifically states "no alcohol"  right on the label.  Also, the meds are hard on my liver, and so is alcohol. 

Don't get me wrong, I can be fun as hell with some shots, but that is in my past now.  

On my vacation last year, I got drunk on one cocktail.  I probably won't touch it for another year.  

Darn teetotaler!

Sometimes, considering you are one of the most active folks here, it is tough to remember your battle with MS.  Kudos to you for your continued strength, and I won't insult you by recommending a alcohol-free "beer".

Tom

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Darn teetotaler!

Sometimes, considering you are one of the most active folks here, it is tough to remember your battle with MS.  Kudos to you for your continued strength, and I won't insult you by recommending a alcohol-free "beer".

Tom

Often, I forget too.  So does everyone around me, including my husband. Thanks.  I consider this a compliment.

When I was on injectables, it was in my face more.  Taking the pills makes me feel less "sick."  Just a part of the routine now. Only one of the daily pills is teal colored, and marked with BG-12. 

• Awesome 1

I drank my last SOB (son of a Baptist) imperial coffee stout last night. I still have some other beers in the beer fridge. I’m wondering if it would affect my health if I stopped drinking alcohol? I don’t ever drink enough to get drunk, usually two beers in the evening. I have read some good things about drinking dark beer and red wine in limited quantities a number of years ago. That is actually when I started drinking again after many years of not drinking alcohol. I wish there was a definitive source that could give answers to health questions. It seems everyone has their own idea.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I drank my last SOB (son of a Baptist) imperial coffee stout last night. I still have some other beers in the beer fridge. I’m wondering if it would affect my health if I stopped drinking alcohol? I don’t ever drink enough to get drunk, usually two beers in the evening. I have read some good things about drinking dark beer and red wine in limited quantities a number of years ago. That is actually when I started drinking again after many years of not drinking alcohol. I wish there was a definitive source that could give answers to health questions. It seems everyone has their own idea.

I hafta go with the time honoured advice of Ben Frankin. :)

Or not.  Damn killjoys! :angry::default_sissy-fight-smiley:

https://www.thespruce.com/beer-is-proof-that-god-loves-us-and-wants-us-to-be-happy-353267

• Awesome 1