I'm Gonna Live To Be 100+!

Razors Edge

...because this story proves I am doing the right things!

"These people are inspiring -- they drink wine, drink coffee, gain weight, but they exercise and use their brains," she said. "Maybe that can tell us something."

Kawas started the study 15 years ago in search of explanations for why some people reach the age of 90 and others don't.

Tom

I think this, a moderate alcohol intake, is one of those cases where one habit is made the "cause" by reporters through bad scientific thinking (and, yes, I'm a graduate degreed scientist).

It's like observing ducks flying north just before Spring EVERY year and then assuming they cause Spring to occur.

Note that the researchers are NOT guilty of bad science, saying, "I have no explanation for it..." and NOT saying its a reason for long life.

Someone who drinks ONLY moderately is likely to be someone who has a lot of self-discipline, and self-discipline may be the cause that leads to the effect of living to 90.

It might also be the tendency toward moderation that extends life. In Lost Horizon, moderation was said to be the key as to why the monks and others lived for hundreds of years.

Of course, it MAY be the booze!  Further drinking is needed!

• Awesome 1

33 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Be careful of what you wish for.

Sadly, those are the gist of the closing paragraphs (with a sprinkle of hope as well):

She said 40 percent of people aged 90 and older suffer from dementia and almost 80 percent are disabled. Among those with dementia, half do not have sufficient neuropathology in their brain to explain their cognitive loss.

"The sad thing is, we've added more years than we've added quality," Kawas said at the Austin conference. "There's a remarkable core of individuals we see who maintain excellent cognitive skills and often motor skills."

Tom