Auto Stop Technology..

ChrisL

Did you guys see that Cav got taken out of the Tour of Oman due to an auto stop issue with a team car?  A rider rode in front of a moving team car, the collision avoidance system forced a hard brake and a bunch of riders plowed into the car...

Reminded me of the close call i had on the freeway with the blowing plastic almost causing a chain reaction wreck when my car suddenly braked...

Technology sure is great until it isnt...

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Did you guys see that Cav got taken out of the Tour of Oman due to an auto stop issue with a team car?  A rider rode in front of a moving team car, the collision avoidance system forced a hard brake and a bunch of riders plowed into the car...

Reminded me of the close call i had on the freeway with the blowing plastic almost causing a chain reaction wreck when my car suddenly braked...

Technology sure is great until it isnt...

I wonder if that was a checklist item (turn off collision avoidance doodads) and the driver skipped/forgot it???

Seriously, the pack of cars is NOT a place where you want this sort of technology in play.

Tom

• Heart 1

Auto driving Teslas have already killed at least one driver who trusted his ride too much.  I believe the post crash analysis determined that the car was driving along at cruising speed, the driver was not hands on wheel monitoring the car and a tractor trailer truck left turning across the road in front of the car was mistaken for sky because of the color of the trailer.  No brakes applied.  Car and driver both at fault.

33 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I wonder if that was a checklist item (turn off collision avoidance doodads) and the driver skipped/forgot it???

Seriously, the pack of cars is NOT a place where you want this sort of technology in play.

Tom

Maybe you can post the article on Cyclingnews, I can't figure out how to link sites on my phone...  But yeah they referenced that in the article.  My car has a button to turn it on/off in the car but it sounded like they needed a mechanic to disable the feature.

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Maybe you can post the article on Cyclingnews, I can't figure out how to link sites on my phone...  But yeah they referenced that in the article.  My car has a button to turn it on/off in the car but it sounded like they needed a mechanic to disable the feature.

Yeah, not a freak accident, but also not something one has foremost in their mind.

Tom

• Awesome 1

Just now, Ltdskilz said:

Sucks for Cav. I noticed that the peloton gave the leadout car a lot of room after that. Slow speed crashes hurt.

Cav should start saving himself the trouble of getting knocked out of events in the opening stages by just signing up and then no showing.  Much easier that crashing into cars and other riders and barriers and shit.

I would imagine there have already been lawsuits for accidents caused by a car braking automatically, and likewise lawsuits because of accidents 'caused' due to the automatic braking feature being turned off. 

In the latter, I can hear the attorney for the car company saying "We're not liable - the driver intentionally turned of a vital safety system we built into the car!"

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

The last transport company I worked for had collision avoidance systems on board all the trucks. Had it happen more than one when rounding a curve on a multi lane highway, the sensor picked up a vehicle in the adjacent lane and the brakes came on hard. Talk about a WTF moment.

The offramp I exit on to go to work is under construction and is very narrow and twisting.  You can't take it over 30 mph safely it's so tight.  My collision avoidance picks up the K Rails around this one bend in the offramp as it can't anticipate the bend, it just sees you heading right for the K Rail...

I'm always braking around that turn anyway so it's no big deal but it would probably brake for me if I didn't. Actually I'm gonna try to slow before the bend, let off the brake and turn and see what it does.