Mortality bitch slap

Dirtyhip

Sheesh, this year is a monumental one.  You remember my melt down over the AARP card.  Well, last week I had to force myself into an old person's habit.  Things were not going perfectly with my med. I sometimes, could not remember if I just took my med or not.  You are not allowed to take more than one, but I wasn't sure.  So, I would skip it.  I could tell later that I was skipping, cause I would flush, or feel nauseated.  The titration symptoms would come back.  When you first start taking this drug, the side effects are wicked.  GI stuff, flushing, nausea. They eventually go away.  If you miss doses, it does that again.  Strange.  

Anyway, the mortality...back on topic.

I had to submit to using a m-f pill organizer.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

This reminds me of an old person.  :mellow:

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

Welcome to the dark side. Mine won't all fit in those little organizers. I have a shitload of tupperware containers a little bigger than a silver dollar that use. I set up four weeks of AM and PM pills at a time. I also have to give myself a shot every other weekend. Total PITA, but it keeps me alive...

• Heart 1

I have a 2-week pill box that holds one week's worth of all the meds and vitamins I have to take because I can't remember either.

Unfortunately, I now have to get a bigger pill box!

As far memory goes, find something that challenges your mind almost every day to keep it sharp, whether it's competitive chess like me, crossword puzzles, arts and crafts, etc.

I was worried that, since being retired, I did not have to do critical thinking most days, did not solve chemistry and physics problems on the board in my head while teaching anymore, and was losing some of my mental sharpness.  So I returned to chess in 2016: the last tournament I had played in was in 2000.

It took me a while to get back up-to-speed, or close to it. Last Summer, I finally qualified to join Team USA.  I also belong to Team USA Southeast and Team Maryland and play in matches against Team Moscow, Team Alabama, Team Western Australia, Team Oregon, Team Chile, Team Northeast USA, etc. The games are played over a period of days, I usually have 4-6 going at the same time. That, plus Tactics Trainers and other chess study, occupies about an hour or so a day. It's a lot of fun and it keeps me sharp.

• Heart 1

I had to buy those for my wife. She couldn’t remember if she took her meds. Now as long as you don’t forget what day of the week it is your good.

Those didn’t work for my mother in law. She would forget what day it was and either take them again or think she took them but was actually a day behind. Now my sister in law stops in every day and puts out the days meds where mom sits at the table.

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

Want to meet at 4:00 for dinner at the Golden Corral tonight?  It's filet night on the grill and I think that the chocolate fountain is working again.  We have to be home by 5:00 so I can take my back pill and my sugar pill and watch my stories.  

I hate you. ;)

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I have a 2-week pill box that holds one week's worth of all the meds and vitamins I have to take because I can't remember either.

Unfortunately, I now have to get a bigger pill box!

As far memory goes, find something that challenges your mind almost every day to keep it sharp, whether it's competitive chess like me, crossword puzzles, arts and crafts, etc.

I was worried that, since being retired, I did not have to do critical thinking most days, did not solve chemistry and physics problems on the board in my head while teaching anymore, and was losing some of my mental sharpness.  So I returned to chess in 2016: the last tournament I had played in was in 2000.

It took me a while to get back up-to-speed, or close to it. Last Summer, I finally qualified to join Team USA.  I also belong to Team USA Southeast and Team Maryland and play in matches against Team Moscow, Team Alabama, Team Western Australia, Team Oregon, Team Chile, Team Northeast USA, etc. The games are played over a period of days, I usually have 4-6 going at the same time. That, plus Tactics Trainers and other chess study, occupies about an hour or so a day. It's a lot of fun and it keeps me sharp.

We play a game of chess every night. That game is like an onion. Many layers.

10 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Sheesh, this year is a monumental one.  You remember my melt down over the AARP card.  Well, last week I had to force myself into an old person's habit.  Things were not going perfectly with my med. I sometimes, could not remember if I just took my med or not.  You are not allowed to take more than one, but I wasn't sure.  So, I would skip it.  I could tell later that I was skipping, cause I would flush, or feel nauseated.  The titration symptoms would come back.  When you first start taking this drug, the side effects are wicked.  GI stuff, flushing, nausea. They eventually go away.  If you miss doses, it does that again.  Strange.  

Anyway, the mortality...back on topic.

I had to submit to using a m-f pill organizer.

Hide contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

This reminds me of an old person.  :mellow:

Welcome to our world.

My pill organizer even has to include the weekends.  And that's for just one pill.

:dontknow:so far only vitamins..so if I miss (and I often do) no big deal...although the Niacinamide is suppose to help my rosacea...LOL prednisone did a better job on that...I told my doc if I ever went on a daily med...she would have to call me and remind me to take it daily....

One of the residents had this massive electronic thing that would beep when it was tie for meds...and spit out a pre packaged drug dose...YIKES...

• Heart 2

I know some of my meds should be taken in the morning and some at night. I told the doc that was a pita and take them all at the same time.  Even with a box, I sometimes miss when we get extremely busy and are outside for most of the day.  I do take my victoza and long-term insulin injections in the morning, but even then it may be late morning.  Thankfully, I am still alive and kicking.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

I know some of my meds should be taken in the morning and some at night. I told the doc that was a pita and take them all at the same time.  Even with a box, I sometimes miss when we get extremely busy and are outside for most of the day.  I do take my victoza and long-term insulin injections in the morning, but even then it may be late morning.  Thankfully, I am still alive and kicking.

Yup.  Mine is like that.  Same time of the day and with a meal.  This becomes more problematic when I travel.  Eating at crazy times or not having the bottle with me, when I am eating out somewhere, then it is easy to forget.

22 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Want to meet at 4:00 for dinner at the Golden Corral tonight?  It's filet night on the grill and I think that the chocolate fountain is working again.  We have to be home by 5:00 so I can take my back pill and my sugar pill and watch my stories.  

But what is on the Senior menu?

2 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I thought it was because my day starts at 3am but now your saying its because I'm old. 

The effect of getting up early is just a nice segue into old age. :D  It will be quite a few months into retirement I am sure before I start getting up early again!  My day starts at 4 on workdays but only 8 or so on weekends.  I used to be a more even keeled 6 on both.